Whats so Bad about this Contract?

tieguy

Banned
You, Diesel, Damuck,TIEDGUY and Rocky Blogue need to learn to improve your visionary tactics when predicting what the competition is doing.

Fedex is looking to CUT costs not EXPAND them in 2008.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling" ......morons.

Strike? yeah whatever.

Peace

Thats hilarious. Fdx warning on earnings due to an unexpected boost in fuel prices has nothing to do with their ability to compete. Just means fdx might only deliver a 10 percent return this quarter instead of a 15.

BrownShark

Banned
Thats hilarious. Fdx warning on earnings due to an unexpected boost in fuel prices has nothing to do with their ability to compete. Just means fdx might only deliver a 10 percent return this quarter instead of a 15.

Tideguy,

Did you miss this part of the press release?

""We are taking prudent steps to reduce expenses, and are reviewing our capital investment plans for further reductions."

As I stated earlier, fedex is facing steep legal costs across this country, increasing costs to operate its business models in a declining economy so the likelihood of them wanting to see a strike at UPS is remote at best.

The expense needed to absorb more than 1% of UPS's total volume is more than Fedex is prepared to pay.

I am just sick of hearing people talking about "the competition waiting in the wings" or "Fedex is ramping up its operations to prepare for a strike".

Clearly, the CFO feels differently.

The competition is facing its own troubles.

Peace :peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
Tideguy,

""We are taking prudent steps to reduce expenses, and are reviewing our capital investment plans for further reductions."

As I stated earlier, fedex is facing steep legal costs across this country, increasing costs to operate its business models in a declining economy so the likelihood of them wanting to see a strike at UPS is remote at best.

The expense needed to absorb more than 1% of UPS's total volume is more than Fedex is prepared to pay.

I am just sick of hearing people talking about "the competition waiting in the wings" or "Fedex is ramping up its operations to prepare for a strike".

And . Fdx has been on one 5 year plan after another. They often time the opening of new buildings to coincide with the last year of our contract. I would expect they would reevaluate their plan again once the contract is ratified. What they plan for the future has nothing to do with the fact that they have a lot of brand new buildings many built along a line from harpa to dallas texas that are underutilized.

So the point still remains. If the contract is voted down and shippers start diverting then whats an acceptable loss to you as we play these labor games. 10 percent? Certainly fdx could learn to ramp up and handle ten percent of our volume. How about twenty. Can they ramp up and handle twenty percent of our volume? possibly. Your argument that fdx can't handle 100 percent yet holds no water. They don't want 100 right now. they'll be more then happy to take 10 to 20 percent this contract and and some more the next contract.

If our labor negotiations keep giving fdx more of our volume then whats that do to ups's ability to pay on future contracts?

Not threatening the fdx boogey man here but we have to be sensitive to the fact that ups deals with a union and fdx ground does not. Don't choke the golden goose with the union.

Damok

Tideguy,

Swing and a miss!

Getting information on 2008 earnings adjustment due to higher fuel costs and posting it here as if it somehow validates your assumptions just shows how little you understand. Instead of the old copy/past you might want to try comprehension.

As I said before... the discussion was about what FedEx has been doing since '97. You respond with an earnings adjustment based on increased fuel costs. Wow, just wow.

kingOFchester

Or did he accept it?

Anyway, I'm not sure you really read this thread too closely or the discussion that caused BrownShark to post his weak uninformed copy paste job.

Yes, I see my spelling error. I will accept that. Probably should of made more of my school days. Unfortunately, I made some bad decisions in my life. But I accept that too. Can't wind back the hands of time.
But onward and forward we go........ This will be my last post on the topic of "What I do not like about the contract". Unless someone ANYONE wants to prove me wrong. I wasn't and am not discussing anything other then the issue I was challenged on. still waiting for someone to show me that my insurance will be equal to what I was suppose to get.

Now, if you, tie or anyone wants to debate whether that issue is meaningless on the grand scheme of things, I will concede and say, that that issue alone doesn't warrant a no vote. Contrary to popular belief, I understand what is at stake here.....for UPS....for the Union....for employees....CS....and customers. I have YET to say which way I voted. For me that is a very personal issue, hence Secret ballot, and thus I will not disclose how I voted. This all started when I expressed what I do not like about the contract as it pertains to me.

I would like to add one more comment. Many years ago (many to me anyway) I started a corporation. After a few years it had a 1.3 million dollar budget. Not to shabby for someone who did not go to college. The employees voted to become unionized and that was the beginning of the end. So I am not pro-union. I see what they do, good and bad.
other then that, anyone have fun plans for the weekend?

Damok

Ahhhhh, ok then...I seem to have misinterpreted the response I quoted. BrownShark was involved in another post which he ran away from when it didn't go his way. He chose to come here and post what he did out of context from the original argument. I thought you were somehow coming to his aid without knowing where this all came from.

My apologies if that was not the case.

*The spelling thing was tongue in cheek on my part - should have put up a ":wink2:" *

kingOFchester

Ahhhhh, ok then...I seem to have misinterpreted the response I quoted. BrownShark was involved in another post which he ran away from when it didn't go his way. He chose to come here and post what he did out of context from the original argument. I thought you were somehow coming to his aid without knowing where this all came from.

My apologies if that was not the case.

*The spelling thing was tongue in cheek on my part - should have put up a ":wink2:" *

LOL, no problem. No need for apologies, but thank you. I did use the opportunity to express how I feel. I know people are all twisted up over the contract and understandably. I am the type of guy that see's 2 maybe even 3 sides to an issue to fault. Anyway, no harm no foul.

I would also like to extend apologies to all others that have seen me go on and on over this stupid little issue. I got a little worked up being told I was wrong, but never proven. I could be wrong. I don't know. I am going from what I heard and what I have read. Bottom line is, I am a little ashamed for my constant badgering over this. I should of walked away. Hey, it took me 10 years to walk away form my X.
*note to self, learn from your mistakes*

kingOFchester

On the FedEx, I think we can all agree that FedEx wants more of the market. There is only one pie and they all want as much as they can get. FedEx will take any and all opportunities to get more of a slice. It would be pretty stupid for FedEx not to be looking at this as an opportunity and at the least have a plan in holding to take some of the business. If they take even 15% of our business, that is a big number. Huge. They will all be saying "pretty good. Prettaaaay, Prettttay, pretttay good"

K

klbuffalobronw

i.m glad the men in the sixties didn't sell me out like we are doing to the people coming in behind us.

Griff

And . Fdx has been on one 5 year plan after another. They often time the opening of new buildings to coincide with the last year of our contract. I would expect they would reevaluate their plan again once the contract is ratified. What they plan for the future has nothing to do with the fact that they have a lot of brand new buildings many built along a line from harpa to dallas texas that are underutilized.

So the point still remains. If the contract is voted down and shippers start diverting then whats an acceptable loss to you as we play these labor games. 10 percent? Certainly fdx could learn to ramp up and handle ten percent of our volume. How about twenty. Can they ramp up and handle twenty percent of our volume? possibly. Your argument that fdx can't handle 100 percent yet holds no water. They don't want 100 right now. they'll be more then happy to take 10 to 20 percent this contract and and some more the next contract.

If our labor negotiations keep giving fdx more of our volume then whats that do to ups's ability to pay on future contracts?

Not threatening the fdx boogey man here but we have to be sensitive to the fact that ups deals with a union and fdx ground does not. Don't choke the golden goose with the union.

You act like UPS actually follows whatever contract they sign. How many grievances have had your name listed on them over this contract? The contract on the table will transform the golden goose into the platinum goose.

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
To me the TDU is hinting that the contract will pass. I hope it does pass, as i am in Central States and thank god i don't work for tieguy! I can't take that guys one-sided views.