Whats so Bad about this Contract?

9c1

I was talking with one of my feeder drivers the other night and he told me he was making more per hour the year I was born than I make now as a supervisor. It's utterly disgusting.

If there is a strike I'll probably just quit. All this job is doing for me is adding another line to my resume.. and I think that's a sentiment that runs pretty strong among the rest of management. The fact that I get scalded for treating my employees like human beings leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

crazygill

Can You All Take A Look At What Is Going On In The World We Have It Dam Good If You Look At The Rest Of The Country, You Have A Job You Have A House A Car A Boat Look Down Your Street How Many Houses Are Being Lost Open Your Eyes.

BrownShark

Banned
Can You All Take A Look At What Is Going On In The World We Have It Dam Good If You Look At The Rest Of The Country, You Have A Job You Have A House A Car A Boat Look Down Your Street How Many Houses Are Being Lost Open Your Eyes.

CGill,

And this statement should mean what??

Peace.

GSO_Dave

CGill,

And this statement should mean what??

Peace.

My guess, though it's kinda hard to read the runon sentences that he posted he is telling us all that this is a great contract proposal we should all be full of gratitude we should vote yes if we haven't yet voted thank the ups tieguys and the teamster noosewearers for making our lives so easy the rest of the world has it so bad.
:sick:

Wow, did you get all of that?

browned out

We are not the auto industry, or the textile industry,the banking industry or the mortgage industry.

Anyone can get a job at UPS ANYONE CAN GET INTO UPS

When I am in Chicago, LA, NY or Det and a homeless person comes up to be asking for money. I ask em if they have any felonies. If they say no I give a UPS business card and a referal. 7 of them are now working for UPS

BrownShark

Banned
We are not the auto industry, or the textile industry,the banking industry or the mortgage industry.

Anyone can get a job at UPS ANYONE CAN GET INTO UPS

When I am in Chicago, LA, NY or Det and a homeless person comes up to be asking for money. I ask em if they have any felonies. If they say no I give a UPS business card and a referal. 7 of them are now working for UPS

LMAO!!!!!!!:happy-very:

sawdusttv

We are not the rest of the world.
We are fortunate enough to work for a multi-billion dollar company and the benefits should represent this fact. Our pay and benefits should NOT fall in line with the average. Ups is head and shoulders above the rest and likewise our pay and benefits should be head and shoulders above the rest.

GSO_Dave

We are fortunate enough to work for a multi-billion dollar company and the benefits should represent this fact. Our pay and benefits should NOT fall in line with the average. Ups is head and shoulders above the rest and likewise our pay and benefits should be head and shoulders above the rest.

Hear, hear!

tieguy

Banned

Okay . that was accomplished about 30 years ago. whats next?

diesel96

Average ? Can you tell us excactly who is rec'v better pay, health and pension benefits , in our industry? ( besides potential new hires) Do you have a problem with UPS making a significant profit for it's shareholders and future security? Or maybe you should put your letter in for mngmt if you feel the need for a bigger slice of the pie.

BrownShark

Banned
Average ? Can you tell us excactly who is rec'v better pay, health and pension benefits , in our industry? ( besides potential new hires) Do you have a problem with UPS making a significant profit for it's shareholders and future security? Or maybe you should put your letter in for mngmt if you feel the need for a bigger slice of the pie.

Diesel,

Once again, I must take a moment and address you. While it appears that you have the best intention in mind when you post, it is always the intention that draws my attention.

The post you quoted was clear and understandable. You READ too much into most posts and take them out of context. I really question your ability to comprehend what is really being said most of the time.

Originally Posted by sawdusttv
We are fortunate enough to work for a multi-billion dollar company and the benefits should represent this fact. Our pay and benefits should NOT fall in line with the average. Ups is head and shoulders above the rest and likewise our pay and benefits should be head and shoulders above the rest."

Clearly, sawdusty is speaking in terms of "Industry Standards" based on the profitability of the largest company in the world in this industry.

Industry Standards set the bar for others to follow. Maybe you would like to have your feeder pay reduced to $22.00 an hour and your hours reduced to a 40 hour workweek so that the Shareholders can get the remaining part of your paycheck?

Maybe you'd like to see our fellow sleeper drivers making .41 cents a mile like the gypo's who are desperate for work just so the company can show a greater bottom line?

I'll tell you what, as a feeder driver on this board, offer to have your rate of pay reduced and set a standard for all of us to follow. Once you are on the record as willing to have your rate of pay reduced so the stockholders can get a bigger piece of the pie, then we will know you are serious.

Who's interest are you looking out to protect? The shareholders?

You seem genuinely worried about the profitability and future of the company, and as I have said before, your "chicken little" impression is getting old.

Hopefully, you dont have that many years left on the clock, and the rest of us will continue to find ways to improve the "industry standards" for the future workers of UPS.

Until YOU personally are willing to take a sacrifice that you are asking the rest of the membership to take, then STFU.

UPS is a great company with profits second to none. Its workforce is also second to none, why would you want the pay & benefits to be second to anyone?

UPS should and will always be the "industry leader" as long as the employees make it that way. We all work hard and give 100% each and everyday.

Sure there are some bad apples in the ranks, but moreso in the management ranks. I dont hear you calling any of them out.

There are more jokers pretending to be managers running this operation that cost this company millions of dollars each month than there are bad employees.

These jokers have tripled the cost of delivery by making rediculous decisions. example: Here, our drivers used to fuel every 1 1/2 days. With the extended hours we now run, we fuel 3 times a week. Diesel out here costs the company $3.15 a gallon. Our new P12's will hold 21 gallons each fill, thats $66.15 times (x) 3= $198.45 each week or an increase of $132.30 each week.

This in addition to the extra overtime amounts to a ton of money. If you add the increase in fuel costs to the additional overtime, you will see that it would have been more profitable to run more cover or new full time drivers for 8 hours a day than to keep a driver out till 9pm each day and burning three tankfulls of fuel.

You want to save the company money? Start there. Go to the next shareholder meeting and suggest they lean on the company to cut excessive costs and shed themselves of the managers like Tideguy who'd make these types of mistakes believing they are managing the company.

A cover driver makes $14.50 an hour out here. An 8 hour day would cost the company $116.00 a day. Two less fuelings for me saves the company $132.30, that would pay for one day cover driving. Now, times that by 90 drivers running an average paid day of 1145 and see the fuel savings.

90 drivers times (x) $132.30= $11907.00 a week in fuel savings.

Subtract 2 hours at OT at $43.21 and that totals $86.42 each day. $86.42 times (x) 5 = $432.10

$432.10 + $132.30 = $564.40 per driver taken off the road after 730pm.

Think of the productivity that is wasted running trucks out this late. Think about the customers that this type of service affects. Think about how the corridor is delayed by trucks returning after 9PM fully loaded with the days pickups and how this delays the feeder network from pulling from the walls ontime. Our feeder drivers are actually able to "Sleep" on the clock waiting for trailers to be loaded because of these delays. they can "sleep' in the cabs for two hours on some days.

What does this do to the hubs waiting for these packages.

You want to save the company money and improve its profitability?

Then invest your time in convincing the company to operate like its the largest company in the industry.

Dont ask "US" to subsidize the stupidity of its managers by asking the membership to pay for higher profits for the shareholders.

Youre begining to sound like an old coot.

Peace:peaceful:

kingOFchester

The part that I highlited is the part that gets me for several reasons:

1. I am a new hire. Have yet to get bennies. From the way the contract reads it appears to me that I will not get the health coverage that I was told I would recieve. I think that is not fair. I came to UPS expecting to get X,Y and Z. basicly i am getting a salary reduction.
  2. I think UPS has a hard time getting a pulse to show up, now it will be harder to get newbies being the progression and bennies will take so long

sawdusttv

Diesel,

Once again, I must take a moment and address you. While it appears that you have the best intention in mind when you post, it is always the intention that draws my attention.

The post you quoted was clear and understandable. You READ too much into most posts and take them out of context. I really question your ability to comprehend what is really being said most of the time.

Clearly, sawdusty is speaking in terms of "Industry Standards" based on the profitability of the largest company in the world in this industry.

Industry Standards set the bar for others to follow. Maybe you would like to have your feeder pay reduced to $22.00 an hour and your hours reduced to a 40 hour workweek so that the Shareholders can get the remaining part of your paycheck?

Maybe you'd like to see our fellow sleeper drivers making .41 cents a mile like the gypo's who are desperate for work just so the company can show a greater bottom line?

I'll tell you what, as a feeder driver on this board, offer to have your rate of pay reduced and set a standard for all of us to follow. Once you are on the record as willing to have your rate of pay reduced so the stockholders can get a bigger piece of the pie, then we will know you are serious.

Who's interest are you looking out to protect? The shareholders?

You seem genuinely worried about the profitability and future of the company, and as I have said before, your "chicken little" impression is getting old.

Hopefully, you dont have that many years left on the clock, and the rest of us will continue to find ways to improve the "industry standards" for the future workers of UPS.

Until YOU personally are willing to take a sacrifice that you are asking the rest of the membership to take, then STFU.

UPS is a great company with profits second to none. Its workforce is also second to none, why would you want the pay & benefits to be second to anyone?

UPS should and will always be the "industry leader" as long as the employees make it that way. We all work hard and give 100% each and everyday.

Sure there are some bad apples in the ranks, but moreso in the management ranks. I dont hear you calling any of them out.

There are more jokers pretending to be managers running this operation that cost this company millions of dollars each month than there are bad employees.

These jokers have tripled the cost of delivery by making rediculous decisions. example: Here, our drivers used to fuel every 1 1/2 days. With the extended hours we now run, we fuel 3 times a week. Diesel out here costs the company $3.15 a gallon. Our new P12's will hold 21 gallons each fill, thats $66.15 times (x) 3= $198.45 each week or an increase of $132.30 each week.

This in addition to the extra overtime amounts to a ton of money. If you add the increase in fuel costs to the additional overtime, you will see that it would have been more profitable to run more cover or new full time drivers for 8 hours a day than to keep a driver out till 9pm each day and burning three tankfulls of fuel.

You want to save the company money? Start there. Go to the next shareholder meeting and suggest they lean on the company to cut excessive costs and shed themselves of the managers like Tideguy who'd make these types of mistakes believing they are managing the company.

A cover driver makes $14.50 an hour out here. An 8 hour day would cost the company $116.00 a day. Two less fuelings for me saves the company $132.30, that would pay for one day cover driving. Now, times that by 90 drivers running an average paid day of 1145 and see the fuel savings.

90 drivers times (x) $132.30= $11907.00 a week in fuel savings.

Subtract 2 hours at OT at $43.21 and that totals $86.42 each day. $86.42 times (x) 5 = $432.10

$432.10 + $132.30 = $564.40 per driver taken off the road after 730pm.

Think of the productivity that is wasted running trucks out this late. Think about the customers that this type of service affects. Think about how the corridor is delayed by trucks returning after 9PM fully loaded with the days pickups and how this delays the feeder network from pulling from the walls ontime. Our feeder drivers are actually able to "Sleep" on the clock waiting for trailers to be loaded because of these delays. they can "sleep' in the cabs for two hours on some days.

What does this do to the hubs waiting for these packages.

You want to save the company money and improve its profitability?

Then invest your time in convincing the company to operate like its the largest company in the industry.

Dont ask "US" to subsidize the stupidity of its managers by asking the membership to pay for higher profits for the shareholders.

Youre begining to sound like an old coot.

Peace:peaceful:

OH MAN, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL POST!!!!!!!
Some of these guys have been brainwashed for so long they sound like management. I don't get it! The very management that is filling their heads with this crap are sitting back with their feet on their desk with their fat saleries and they are laughing their butts off at these dumb, gullible truck drivers.
You want to just grab these drivers by the ears and shake them while SCREAMING " WAKE UP!":biting::biting::biting:

sawdusttv

1. I am a new hire. Have yet to get bennies. From the way the contract reads it appears to me that I will not get the health coverage that I was told I would recieve. I think that is not fair. I came to UPS expecting to get X,Y and Z. basicly i am getting a salary reduction.
  2. I think UPS has a hard time getting a pulse to show up, now it will be harder to get newbies being the progression and bennies will take so long

King,
For a new hire, your a fast learner!:happy2:
You are exactly right, if this contract passes we will all in affect be taking a salery reduction of one type or another. The contract hasn't even passed yet and I'm already worn out, just thinking of how many times I will have to say, " Told you so" over the next 5 years and 8 months.

kingOFchester

King,
For a new hire, your a fast learner!:happy2:
You are exactly right, if this contract passes we will all in affect be taking a salery reduction of one type or another. The contract hasn't even passed yet and I'm already worn out, just thinking of how many times I will have to say, " Told you so" over the next 5 years and 8 months.
Thanks!
I will go on record and state "There will be ripple affects". These "ripples will affect us all. UPS....management....hourly’s...part timers.....customers. The Union will be the least affected.

tieguy

Banned

your acquisition of beni's is not affected by this offer. you will get them as previously told.

tieguy

Banned
I was talking with one oft my feeder drivers the other night and he told me he was making more per hour the year I was born than I make now as a supervisor. It's utterly disgusting.

if you're listening and believing that kind of crap then you may be too gullible to be in management.

If there is a strike I'll probably just quit. All this job is doing for me is adding another line to my resume.. and I think that's a sentiment that runs pretty strong among the rest of management. The fact that I get scalded for treating my employees like human beings leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

honestly from what I have read you should probably quit now. You do not sound like you are strong enough mentally to be a leader at ups.

tieguy

Banned
Thanks!
I will go on record and state "There will be ripple affects". These "ripples will affect us all. UPS....management....hourly’s...part timers.....customers. The Union will be the least affected.

No offense but you really have not been around long enough to go on record for anything.

Did you ever attend your unions contract review?

Your attitude has soured too much for someone new. You're letting the professional haters here and rumor mongers feed you bad information.

kingOFchester

your acquisition of beni's is not affected by this offer. you will get them as previously told.
Mr. tie,
The contract states:
Part time employees covered by a Teamster Health and Welfare Fund will continue to be covered by those funds. (a) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above, effective January 1, 2008 health and welfare coverage for
all part-time employees on the payroll at that time and those hired thereafter will be provided
pursuant to the terms of an Employer sponsored nationwide health care plan, namely, the UPS
National Health Plan for Part-Time Employees.
So I read that as to say if you have insurance now covered by the teamsters health and welfare you will remain in that plan. All other part timers on payroll but not yes receiving bennies will get their insurance thru UPS national health plan.
A FAR cry from what I was told when I elected to work for UPS