What's the best bluetooth headset?

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Alright, I know there is a thread about this already, but it's a little dated and cluttered with posts which don't help me at all.

I've used a few different bluetooth headsets before, and I just can't seem to find the right one. A couple cheaper ones just didn't have the voice quality I was looking for. I had the Jawbone I for a while and I liked it, although it's a bit bulky, upgraded to the Jawbone II and the incoming call volume just isn't loud enough. The noise canceling works well, but what would happen is, when driving down the road the other person can hear me but I can't hear them well enough. I think this partially has to do with my iPhone, since the same headset on another phone worked better.

Somehow I managed to lose that stupid Jawbone II so, I tried a Plantronics 925. Incoming call volume was loud enough (when I had it stuck in my ear far enough, which was painful after about an hour), and noise canceling was decent.

Then I tried the Blueant V1 which is a neat unit, seems to work pretty well, but I think the noise canceling has something to be desired, and I also don't always feel it's entirely secure when going about my day.

What do guys use, and what do you like / dislike about it?

I DON'T CARE if bluetooth isn't allowed in your center or not. I am allowed to use it, apparently some people are not. This thread is NOT for that discussion!

over9five

Staff member
I DON'T CARE if bluetooth isn't allowed in your center or not. I am allowed to use it, apparently some people are not. This thread is NOT for that discussion!

Yes, Sir!!!!

I have a Motorola H505. I don't like it because the incoming volume is not high enough in a loud environment (ie tractor). I end up having to hold it against my ear which kinda defeats the hands free reason I bought it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've tried a bunch, my favorite so far is the Plantronics 520.
Comfortable, decent noise canceling, and the people I'm talking to can hear me fine even over the noise of the truck.

moreluck

golden ticket member
All of this bluetooth technology has really hampered us normal folks who would be able to spot all the mentally ill on the street. They were the people walking down the sidewalk talking to themselves. Now, however, everybody is walking down the sidewalk seemingly talking to themselves. How are we to recognize the mentally stable from the unstable? :knockedout:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
All of this bluetooth technology has really hampered us normal folks who would be able to spot all the mentally ill on the street. They were the people walking down the sidewalk talking to themselves. Now, however, everybody is walking down the sidewalk seemingly talking to themselves. How are we to recognize the mentally stable from the unstable? :knockedout:
I actually totally agree with you haha.

And... the Plantronics 520, this is one I was thinking about trying out... Might go pick one up this evening.

MD Dan

Had my best luck with the Jawbone I. When it eventually died I replaced it with the JB II and have not been nearly as happy. I can't seem to get it to sit properly in my ear and on my face to have the noise canceling work properly.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Had my best luck with the Jawbone I. When it eventually died I replaced it with the JB II and have not been nearly as happy. I can't seem to get it to sit properly in my ear and on my face to have the noise canceling work properly.
Yeah part of the problem I think, is just the Jawbone II and my iPhone working together. It worked better with my Katana. I picked up a Plantronics 520A this evening and so far I like it! It's comfortable, light, easy to operate, and I talked on the phone for about 20 minutes on my way home from Best Buy and the person on the other end had no idea I had the windows down or anything, and my exhaust on my car is decently loud. Will have to test it at work though.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

That is a great post - dead on. Almost every driver in our center has a wireless, except me. A few months ago, I lost my blackberry & didn't have it on me while driving. Pain in the arse at first, but, you know what? Now I don't carry one AT ALL while driving, and the day is a lot calmer, easier.

Anyone ever have what they thought was a confusing conversation with someone, only to find after a minute or two that the other party was not even speaking to you, but to someone on their phone?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would hate to be attached to my cell phone to the point where I felt I had to wear a Bluetooth. Call me old, say I am out of the loop--I couldn't care less. Yes, I do bring my cell to work with me, but it sits in the drink holder and if I use it 5 times during the day that is a lot. A great day is when it sits there idle for the whole day.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I would hate to be attached to my cell phone to the point where I felt I had to wear a Bluetooth. Call me old, say I am out of the loop--I couldn't care less. Yes, I do bring my cell to work with me, but it sits in the drink holder and if I use it 5 times during the day that is a lot. A great day is when it sits there idle for the whole day.

Someone here quotes "show you will be a willing victim, and you will be a victim" or something like that. Same goes with the phone - "Show you can be contacted every 16 seconds for trivial matters, and so it will be".

Being forced to communicate thru message on the DIAD only was a pain at first, but know what happened? Very few messages come my way at all anymore, and the work still gets done. I STRONGLY recommend it to anyone who wants a more peaceful day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Someone here quotes "show you will be a willing victim, and you will be a victim" or something like that. Same goes with the phone - "Show you can be contacted every 16 seconds for trivial matters, and so it will be".

Being forced to communicate thru message on the DIAD only was a pain at first, but know what happened? Very few messages come my way at all anymore, and the work still gets done. I STRONGLY recommend it to anyone who wants a more peaceful day.

Dream, I don't get the point of your second paragraph. Do they call you instead or are you just getting fewer messages?

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Goodness, I like how this thread has completely de-railed... go talk about whether or not you use cell phones in another thread people, I just want to know what bluetooth headset's you use and what you like/dislike about. If you don't use one well, then that doesn't really contribute to my thread now does it? lol

Cement, do you ever use it while driving a package car for an entire day? What's your opinion on that??

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have used it for the whole day. I don't wear it anymore cause I realized I don't talk on teh phone enough to warrant wearing it all day. But overall it worked very well.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Honestly I kinda forgot about this forum entirely haha.

Though I think part of it is that in January I bought a new car (not new but, new to me) and it's been taking up a lot of my time. I forgot how much I loved to modify cars :)

So, I have been wearing the Plantronics 520 pretty much all weekend, it's very comfortable! Audio quality is pretty good and most people seem to be able to hear me loud and clear. Only thing I don't like is that the noise it makes to alert me to an incoming call isn't very loud at all, and I often don't hear my phone ringing while I'm driving the package cars... The Blueant V1 I have also been trying is SUPER loud telling me I have an incoming call, it even reads off the number to me to let me know who's calling! That thing truely is awesome... but it feels like it's going to come off at times (though probably won't) and people have a hard time understanding me...

Why oh why can't I just find something that does exactly what I want!

That Jabra seems cool, but the problem is it'll probably hurt my ear if it isn't designed to use an ear loop.... apparently the inside of my ear is super sensitive haha.

Keep the comments coming guys I really appreciate it!!

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Naive it does come with an ear loop. It will not stay in otherwise. That pic just did not have it in it.
I dunno man I keep reading reviews of it and it seems like not the best unit... ear loop breaks off easily (though, I NEVER put mine in my pocket, I either wear it, or it sits on my desk at home), and that the noise canceling doesn't always work all that well. I seem to remember trying one of these over a year ago, looks exactly like the one I had, not sure how long this has been out. I'm going to try out the Voyager 520 the next time I am driving (cover driver) and if it's just not going to cut it then maybe I'll go pick one of these up and try it out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm pretty much sold on the 520 as the best current solution, I wear it all day, every day and it's never given me the "sore ear" that I have gotten from other headsets. I started using bluetooth headsets about 3 years ago and it's the first one that I've been almost completely satisfied with.