whats the best way to deal with this new "push" on production? on production.

Some of the best advice is to follow speed limit perfectly.

Do not run, jog or even walk fast.

Do not take short cuts like back roads or cut through parking lots.

Yellow now means stop!

Take your time pulling out into traffic.

Remember to count 123 after every red light, stop sign, and stopped in traffic!!!

Another words use your 5 seeing habits.

Use your hand cart whenever you can. It is one more thing to unload and reload.

This would go against working smart. Use your hand cart if you need it.

Misloads are a wonderful thing to have to run off and slow down your day.

Don't you mean run the misload only if instructed todo so?

OCA's are nice to have to break and go do.

OCA's are part of the job.

I would not be running off ground stops with my air either except for SSI accounts and last stop at 10:25am.

I guess you don't believe in working smart.

Let your customers know not to help you in advance. Tell them if you have a sup with you do not help.

Bag or tote all of your smalls and put them on belt as well as airs on top belt too.

Do your job.

Do proper pre-trips in full as well as post trips. No short cuts.

Do your job.

Load all your pick ups on shelves and not just thrown on floor.

Unless they are over 70s.

If customers ASD not filled out finish filling it out for them like date, weight, from address, service level, make them sign or write N/A, business name for to and from so on and so forth.

Do your job.

Fill out each delivery notice in full. No short cuts. Write in entire customer name as well as entire shipper name.

Make notice legible.

If customers boxes look like they need more tape ask them to add some tape or do it yourself.

Do your job.

Pull all group 2's and fill out paperwork in full.

Do your job.

Do a full T cross on all boxes not delivered.

What is a T cross? Is this must be a typo.

Answer all DIAD info with complete words and full answers back with no shrt cuts.

Do your job.

If your truck has something wrong with it on area stop and write it up on area so you do not forget.

They want perfection give them perfection.

Follow EDD even if it is wrong.

Then when you are running out of time you will have to break to go do the last few businesses before 5pm.

Remember that when you are to send in your numbers to stop 10 minutes before that time to sort truck looking for misloads on the clock not at lunch.

Take full lunch at your choosing not theirs!

But this goes against the contract

Good luck!

Work hard, work smart, work safe.

Why work hard when all you have todo is work smart?

screamin chicken

Even if EDD is wrong if you where to run it the way they have it could they not come back to you saying that your suppose to run it the best way and not how it is in EDD.

You are absolutely right but most posters here subscribe to the Evil Empire
theory regardless of reality.
Neither of you would know reality if it hit you in the butt with a bass fiddle. The numbers you use to decide if I am being productive are about as real as Peter Pan.

bad company

semi-pro
Even if EDD is wrong if you where to run it the way they have it could they not come back to you saying that your suppose to run it the best way and not how it is in EDD.

No. You can't get in trouble for following EDD. That's the whole point of a trace. The engineers and full-time sups setup the loops and trace order. I'm not an engineer...I just drive a truck and deliver boxes.

Originally Posted by Braveheart
Some of the best advice is to follow speed limit perfectly.

Do not run, jog or even walk fast.

Do not take short cuts like back roads or cut through parking lots.

Yellow now means stop!

Take your time pulling out into traffic.

Remember to count 123 after every red light, stop sign, and stopped in traffic!!!

Another words use your 5 seeing habits.
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

Use your hand cart whenever you can. It is one more thing to unload and reload.

This would go against working smart. Use your hand cart if you need it.
So who gets to decide when and how the hand cart is used? I think it's the driver at the time of the delivery. Not you, me or a supervisor after the fact.

Misloads are a wonderful thing to have to run off and slow down your day.

Don't you mean run the misload only if instructed todo so?
You have to call them in and seldom do they tell you anything but to deliver them.

OCA's are nice to have to break and go do.

OCA's are part of the job.
Are you not understanding his point?

I would not be running off ground stops with my air either except for SSI accounts and last stop at 10:25am.

I guess you don't believe in working smart.
The less time you spend digging out your ground to deliver with the air, the more time you have to finish you air before deadline.

Let your customers know not to help you in advance. Tell them if you have a sup with you do not help.

Bag or tote all of your smalls and put them on belt as well as airs on top belt too.

Do your job.
His point, I guess you are just agreeing?

Do proper pre-trips in full as well as post trips. No short cuts.

Do your job.

Load all your pick ups on shelves and not just thrown on floor.

Unless they are over 70s.
Well, DUH!

If customers ASD not filled out finish filling it out for them like date, weight, from address, service level, make them sign or write N/A, business name for to and from so on and so forth.

Do your job.

Fill out each delivery notice in full. No short cuts. Write in entire customer name as well as entire shipper name.

Make notice legible.
LOL

If customers boxes look like they need more tape ask them to add some tape or do it yourself.

Do your job.

Pull all group 2's and fill out paperwork in full.

Do your job.

Do a full T cross on all boxes not delivered.

What is a T cross? Is this must be a typo.
a service cross. Maybe, ya think?

Answer all DIAD info with complete words and full answers back with no shrt cuts.

Do your job.

If your truck has something wrong with it on area stop and write it up on area so you do not forget.

They want perfection give them perfection.

Follow EDD even if it is wrong.

Then when you are running out of time you will have to break to go do the last few businesses before 5pm.

Remember that when you are to send in your numbers to stop 10 minutes before that time to sort truck looking for misloads on the clock not at lunch.

Take full lunch at your choosing not theirs!

But this goes against the contract
Prove it. Gimme chapter, book and verse.

Good luck!

Work hard, work smart, work safe.

Why work hard when all you have todo is work smart?
I can't speak for your route, you may have one of the few remaining cake runs, IDK. Around here if you don't work hard as well as smart, you will never finish.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are absolutely right but most posters here subscribe to the Evil Empire theory regardless of reality.

Why do you think that is?
By your rational the majority of us are delusional while you maintain your firm grasp on reality.
What color is the sky in your world?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

They could come back and say whatever the hell they want. Your response is simply to say..."it is what it is. I worked as instructed. I ran 100% by your methods, according to your trace. If your trace is wrong, then you should fix it."

Dont get me wrong here, I believe we should do our best to be as efficient as possible and take advantage of our area knowledge and experience. But frequently, even that isnt good enough. If we find ourselves stuck with a particularly bad time allowance or a truly obnoxious sup who is hell-bent on harassing us into skipping our lunch to meet his impossible expectations, then we can fight back and cover our butts by becoming "100% robots" until the sup is forced to back off and get real.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im having the same problem with my EDD. I have now been told that aprrox 15 places I need to deliver before 12, and I run air til 1030. Ive already blown my 20% allowance, and now they want to push me without saying it to skip my lunch. I cant make time and by the time I can it is pu time, then its balls to the wall to get in by air time. I asked them to put them all in the board that way, so I dont get gigged. And they ask why cant I just do what my customers need. Well I can, but then I get gigged, why cant you just put those 15 in after my air. Well that wouldnt follow Pas. Yes, no *****. I pull all over. Anymore instead of doing what I need to do I almost find myself trying to fix my board so I wont get gigged. The brainwash is almost complete. I no longer can think on my own. What a joke

some1else

6-8 secs following distance on the highway, if someone cuts into following distance coast and let the space open up. on the 6lane highway here i have tried this + going the speedlimit. when you drive like a wounded duck around here it is awesome! there is a steady stream of cars cutting right in front of me. its impossible to go 55 and maintain 6-8secs. either 65, or you are on the brakes "restablishing following distance" and doing about 45 the whole way!!!

and following edd order; most of the routes have edd order starting you at the back of courts and dead ends and running both sides coming back towards the main street. this lets you walk AROUND the back of the truck and across the street to all the houses you drove by on the way back. on 150 residentials this is at least 20+ minutes alone.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here is my take on this as a driver/employee. Ups creates the rules/standards to work under as in the 5 seeing habits, safe work methods and telematics.

Now we all know that ups preaches a lot of this because they have to, but in all reality they want us to get the job done as fast as we can. The center management team is only really concerned with getting the packages delivered and picked up with in the unrealistic time frame that many of us have been given.

Now the top brass of the company has created telematics for what ever reason. Now we as drivers have a choice to make!!! Do the job as outlined by ups in following all of the methods that they have implemented or continue to take short cuts that will/could eventually lead to you losing this $100,000 plus a year job!

Now it is in our hands to do what we should! Follow the dam methods, close your bulk head door while moving. Wear your seat belt while the truck is moving. Use your handrail in entering an exiting the vehicle. Sheet the package as you are walking a res of. Line up your dump stops on the dock in even numbered rows and then scan.

We are the best in the business we are the most professional in the industry. Now just do the job the right way and eventually ups will have to put in more routes. You are only setting your self up for failure if you do not conform to the new telematics system. Do you want to make $32 plus an hour? Continue to receive the best medical package? Do you want to collect a pension eventually?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you know that the choice is an easy one!

I hear people complain about pas/edd and while it does have flaws, i know drivers that have driven back to the building to get it because they forgot because it is an easier way to deliver if it is done right.

Practice following all the methods now before your center goes live! It will make the transition much easier. And when peak comes and the door is closed at every stop it basically renders the helper useless and will force ups to create more routes.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
and everytime soberups would ask me about that day off or can I get a day off or don't you remember why I had that late air or his response started with I told you.....I called you....I sent a message in..... I would respond with "I don't recall" ....see me with the shop steward in my office.......

That's one reason to have all messages printed out then save them forever.

NHDRVR

With many areas experiencing a push in production and ride along, maybe there should be a thread that is started that people can access to become more informed on what drivers rights are and how to approach management when being rode with, or "questioned" about a production issue. There are some drivers who have more "experience" with these types of issues, than others. Any thoughts??

I would hope you take it upon yourself to work safely. You do this for you and your family. UPS as a company wants production first, not your health. Corporate doesn't care about your 'rights'. They care about getting cardboard from point A to B.

YOU have to be responsible for yourself. It's quite simple, really.

As far as contractual obligations that are supposed to be met, a steward could speak (write) about this with greater clarity but do your best to understand your contract. The best thing any driver can do for themselves is to know what's expected from you on a daily basis. Not the fake sporh numbers or inflated stop count but the actual number you can safely meet and not get your chain yanked on a daily basis. Contrary to popular opinion, individual drivers all have a number that mgmt. is happy with. Mine is between .75 and a buck paid over. I am NEVER bothered, ever, about my paid day and since I know my route blindfolded I can pretty much do what I want. I know this isn't the case in other centers, believe me, I know.
Having said that, I follow my methods as well as I can and I honestly try to do a great job every day. I don't cause trouble, I can deal with both union and mgmt. issues and I am proud to be considered a 'boring' driver in regards to paperwork. I don't turn up on anything of consequence and that's how I like it.

I never understood drivers who love arguing about things they know don't make a dent in their actual day. For example; The G.O. wants a certain belt to run an avg. of 130 sporh so the on-road decides to OJS a couple of drivers to see their routes (I know it's to bust balls). That on-road is being told to do this. 9 times out of 10 he/she doesn't want to deal with a 3-day ride but we just gotta live with it. A Rodney King qoute comes to mind here.

browned out

Do not let sup hold elevators no one will hold them when you r on your own. When backing get out and look. Dont let sup getout and tell u its clear. Use restrooms where there is only one toilet. Sup can hold it or cost u time.

mnnice

Do not let sup hold elevators no one will hold them when you r on your own. When backing get out and look. Dont let sup getout and tell u its clear. Use restrooms where there is only one toilet. Sup can hold it or cost u time.
This thread was suppose to give the person responses to help with the production squeeze. When you start to give advice like which bathroom to use so you can screw around with the supervisor, you are only setting yourself up for more of a squeeze. When a person asks for help, that is what they are looking for not the bull you gave them.