What's the latest on Amazon?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Do you have a link that shows that, that is a new one I haven't heard before.

Probably because it was 15 years ago.

Fred acquired Caliber (RPS) in 1997.

I think it was 2000 when he rebranded it to FedEx Ground.

At that time, he said he would put UPS out of business within 10 years.

Good luck finding a 15 year old link.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I cry on every post about being a driver??? Hahahhhhahahaha.. Wowwwww... I mention 1 time when I started my thread about my wanting to drive.. And YOU'RE the one that won't let go of the driving issue.. You bring it up on every reply.. I can't tell you the last time "I" mentioned driving.. It's only talked about when YOU bring it up dumba ss..
Umm you've mentioned it more than once.

You seriously are just quite stupid. You're like a bad batch of seasonal helpers all rolled into one. You know the one some of us get every year? "I'm going to be a driver, how long until I'm a driver? Do I have my own route yet?" Those seasonals.

Please let us know in January when your pathetic self gets laid off from inside the hub from all the returning TCDs coming back. Because it's coming so better keep that amazing well paying day job you brag about all the time.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Umm you've mentioned it more than once.

You seriously are just quite stupid. You're like a bad batch of seasonal helpers all rolled into one. You know the one some of us get every year? "I'm going to be a driver, how long until I'm a driver? Do I have my own route yet?" Those seasonals.

Please let us know in January when your pathetic self gets laid off from inside the hub from all the returning TCDs coming back. Because it's coming so better keep that amazing well paying day job you brag about all the time.
See.. You brought it up again...

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Amazon can never make the profit that UPS does. I don't care if they've been around for 200 years.

Too much competition. And now, jet.com enters the foray.

Not looking good for Amazon and profits.

Once more people get wind of jet.com Amazon will be SERIOUSLY challenged. It used to be that Amazon had the best prices around but now a days their prices aren't that cheap. But jet.com has THE BEST prices by far on most products that Amazon carries. They just need to advertise more because most folks I mention the site to go 'what's jet.com?'. For me, jet.com is my number one stop before I go anywhere else.

TUT

The article on the front page by Motley Fool is a fun one.

"ran into a perfect storm of poor weather conditions during the peak delivery period just as a lack of logistical planning collided with unrealistic expectations set by the retailers themselves, who offered cheap or free delivery right up to the last possible minute. Big Brown ended up with a horrendous 83% on-time delivery success rate, while FedEx was hardly better at 90%."

Right this was the year before last, it notices bad weather and promises that were over the top from retailers. Then goes on to state horrendous, well you just stated the two main reasons that are not in carrier control. Also 7% isn't nothing to sneeze at, that is better, high 90's weren't attainable due to reasons given.

"It was left to Amazon, though, to refund shipping costs to irate customers and hand out $20 gift certificates as compensation."

That was their call. The carriers clearly have marked in contracts that delivery is guaranteed during this time. AKA order early AND don't tell your customers you can order Christmas eve and still get the package.

"It's estimated that Amazon runs about 35% of its packages through the U.S. Postal Service, 30% through UPS, and around 17% through FedEx. Regional shippers account for around 18% of the total."

Interesting #'s.

"Amazon may actually be launching a rival air cargo operation of its own... putting a new airborne delivery network through its paces"

First thought was they are building an air division, lol, ok and to cap it off using Airbourne. Is this article a joke and this the punchline? Reads like punchline.

Returntosender

"ran into a perfect storm of poor weather conditions during the peak delivery period just as a lack of logistical planning collided with unrealistic expectations set by the retailers themselves, who offered cheap or free delivery right up to the last possible minute. Big Brown ended up with a horrendous 83% on-time delivery success rate, while FedEx was hardly better at 90%."

Right this was the year before last, it notices bad weather and promises that were over the top from retailers. Then goes on to state horrendous, well you just stated the two main reasons that are not in carrier control. Also 7% isn't nothing to sneeze at, that is better, high 90's weren't attainable due to reasons given.

"It was left to Amazon, though, to refund shipping costs to irate customers and hand out $20 gift certificates as compensation."

That was their call. The carriers clearly have marked in contracts that delivery is guaranteed during this time. AKA order early AND don't tell your customers you can order Christmas eve and still get the package.

"It's estimated that Amazon runs about 35% of its packages through the U.S. Postal Service, 30% through UPS, and around 17% through FedEx. Regional shippers account for around 18% of the total."

Interesting #'s.

"Amazon may actually be launching a rival air cargo operation of its own... putting a new airborne delivery network through its paces"

First thought was they are building an air division, lol, ok and to cap it off using Airbourne. Is this article a joke and this the punchline? Reads like punchline.
Historically the last couple of years BCers were saying Amazon wouldn't get in the delivery business they will always be dependent on 3rd party carriers, Amazon doesn't make profit. In 2015 they continue to develop their delivery network, the post office delivery agreement allows delivery on Sunday. They posted profits, They experimenting with fixed wing/drone aircraft for delivery.

In time Amazon will overtake UPS.

Now i need to research and see if i can buy the domain name Amazoncafe.com

In case in the future some Amazon employee wants to mirrior the BC website where Amazon employees can about all goings on in the Amazon business.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Airborne has been running air operations in the US for decades, not just in small package. The airline itself is fantastic, DHL just couldn't figure out the US network.

Final delivery I will give you will be difficult for them to achieve. But I wouldn't discount them moving a lot of their air to hubs themselves. Their per piece shipping costs drop drastically when they carry them in planes operated by Airborne.

Ms.PacMan

Airborne has been running air operations in the US for decades, not just in small package. The airline itself is fantastic, DHL just couldn't figure out the US network.

Final delivery I will give you will be difficult for them to achieve. But I wouldn't discount them moving a lot of their air to hubs themselves. Their per piece shipping costs drop drastically when they carry them in planes operated by Airborne.
If they can get the freight to the right zip code then they could pay the USPS the $1 for last mile delivery.

I wonder if UPS/FedEx would go for that - taking last mile deliveries?

feeder05

you guys talk about Amazon like its going to put UPS out of business. I would be more concerned about UPS's Surepost. That's what can cost more jobs then the threat of Amazon. Next time look at the truck that is taking ALL THOSE SUREPOST deliveries you could be deliverying.

Bottom rung

you guys talk about Amazon like its going to put UPS out of business. I would be more concerned about UPS's Surepost. That's what can cost more jobs then the threat of Amazon. Next time look at the truck that is taking ALL THOSE SUREPOST deliveries you could be deliverying.
From what I've seen and heard. States with amazon warehouses lost more driver jobs than what we're losing to surepost. There's alot of small (under 5lb) volume that goes directly to the post office now. If surepost is costing your building five jobs, an amazon warehouse will cost 15 package car drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

Interesting #'s.

From what I've seen and heard. States with amazon warehouses lost more driver jobs than what we're losing to surepost. There's alot of small (under 5lb) volume that goes directly to the post office now. If surepost is costing your building five jobs, an amazon warehouse will cost 15 package car drivers.

I wonder how much of that 35% the USPS is getting is SurePost/SmartPost?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How would we be delivering them?

They'd be going to FedEx or straight to the post office.

onehandsolo

I don't think all Amazon fulfillment centers r the same. There is one 30 miles to the north and one 90 miles to the south of my center. Yet we still have plenty of Amazon packages. At one point they diverted a lot of there volume from laser ship to us and usps

Scoot

Kind of disappointed at all this Amazon talk. I entered this thread to listen to people argue about other things. But anyways....we have an Amazon center near us and the difference is quite noticeable, even during peak. I'm not terribly concerned that Amazon will have an effect on UPS as a whole but at the local level I'm very concerned. Rumors have us cutting 8 routes after peak and possibly a feeder route. May not hurt us much as a company but it will as drivers.

Anthonysg0113

Historically the last couple of years BCers were saying Amazon wouldn't get in the delivery business they will always be dependent on 3rd party carriers, Amazon doesn't make profit. In 2015 they continue to develop their delivery network, the post office delivery agreement allows delivery on Sunday. They posted profits, They experimenting with fixed wing/drone aircraft for delivery.

In time Amazon will overtake UPS.

Now i need to research and see if i can buy the domain name Amazoncafe.com

In case in the future some Amazon employee wants to mirrior the BC website where Amazon employees can about all goings on in the Amazon business.
Amazon will overtake UPS...? God I'm glad I'm not working for Amazon!

Returntosender

Brownslave688

Returntosender

That's still
No where near overtaking ups
It many not be now, it's just a matter of time, Look at all the moves they are making, it's to compete with UPS/FED EX directly. A few months ago another poster posted operation Aerosmith, where Amazon planned fly packages out of Ohio using ABX planes. Perhaps the Aerosmith operation was their pilot program to see if they can make work. Aerosmith must of been a success, that why Amazon is planning to get more planes, they are slowly expanding.

Brownslave688

It many not be now, it's just a matter of time, Look at all the moves they are making, it's to compete with UPS/FED EX directly. A few months ago another poster posted operation Aerosmith, where Amazon planned fly packages out of Ohio using ABX planes. Perhaps the Aerosmith operation was their pilot program to see if they can make work. Aerosmith must of been a success, that why Amazon is planning to get more planes, they are slowly expanding.
Which is why many of us said 2-3 years ago take away their discount and watch them crash and burn.

Do we have a good amount of Amazon on our trucks? Sure we do but no where near enough to make a delivery company economically feasible. It's very low revenue high cost volume.

Should be interesting but overtaking fedex or ups is decades upon decades away if ever.