What's the latest on Amazon?

Ms.PacMan

We were told any Amazon Prime parcel will have to be shipped air or 3 day next week. I believe today was the cut off for Amazon ground to have a guarantee for Xmas.

We were also told to expect additional air every afternoon this week. Should make for some very long days.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Sounds like Amazon is trying to make Wilmington, Ohio one of it's main airport hubs.

Amazon Seeks Cargo Planes for Air Freight Operation
Online retailer aims to lease as many as 25 aircraft

http://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-seeks-cargo-planes-for-air-freight-operation-1450474520

Once again when they see the cost ratio of this, it won't work. They'd have to also move other freight besides their own to offset the costs of leasing or even owning a plane.

Ups leases way more than that on top of their fleet. Amazon won't have the piece air volume and they'll have to start charging for shipping if they want to build an airline.

Purplepackage

Once again when they see the cost ratio of this, it won't work. They'd have to also move other freight besides their own to offset the costs of leasing or even owning a plane.

Ups leases way more than that on top of their fleet. Amazon won't have the piece air volume and they'll have to start charging for shipping if they want to build an airline.

Why does Amazon think if they have their own planes everything will always be delivered on time? UPS and fedex have been in the buisness for a very long time and it seems they both still have trouble stopping snow storms or slowing down wind speeds. Or even stopping their hot shot pilots from "running out of hours"

But amazon will change this

Overpaid Union Thug

It is a 2 day service. There's plenty of places we service in 2 days with ground.......

Oh well we can all only hope we have told Amazon to :censored2: off.
Exactly. Amazon misleads the public with their claim of free two day shipping but in reality it's typically standard ground at a discount. And that discount, as you are suggesting, might be going away.

onehandsolo

We will most likely continue to lose a percentage of amazon's shipments over time. I read an article that said currently 50% of there shipments are delivered by usps, 15% ups, 10% fed ex and the rest by regional carriers.

onehandsolo

A key part of amazons early success was not charging sales tax. After the 2013 peak debacle. They went crazy building more fulfillment centers now charges sales tax in 26 states.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Why does Amazon think if they have their own planes everything will always be delivered on time? UPS and fedex have been in the buisness for a very long time and it seems they both still have trouble stopping snow storms or slowing down wind speeds. Or even stopping their hot shot pilots from "running out of hours"

But amazon will change this
Because Jeff Bezos is a true narcissist who thinks he can be everything to everyone.

Sears did that years ago. Tried to get into too many industries. Losing sight of their core business and customers. They're going bankrupt.

Amazon is going to be that retailer too if they don't focus on their core business. Given time. And if fedex and ups say enough is enough together, they would hurt bad. Retail is very cut throat. My wife has been high up in the industry for years. She sees it and knows that what is big and hot today might be done and gone tomorrow.