What's the latest on Amazon?

AKCoverMan

We will most likely continue to lose a percentage of amazon's shipments over time. I read an article that said currently 50% of there shipments are delivered by usps, 15% ups, 10% fed ex and the rest by regional carriers.
We may see our portion of the pie shrink over time, and those effects may be more drastic in some areas. However let's remember that the pie itself is growing at a pretty good clip and seems as if it will continue to grow for the forseeable future.

Just look at AMZNs gross sales over past few years. And remember they are far from the only online retailer. I think we will have plenty of work for years to come.

I've heard here they want to hire back four temps as regular full timers which would be a net increase of 3 jobs as we have one leaving at end of the month.

Browntown2014

They've been doing this for years. If brown cafe noticed it, I'm sure the many analysts at ups in Atlanta have too. Ups is the largest shipping company in the world. They're not going to let Amazon come along and destroy their core business.

All ups would have to do, and fedex would follow suit, is tell Amazon their rates are increasing to retail rates. The USPS wouldn't be able to handle the majority volume and neither would Amazon and their subcontractor services.

I'm sure corporate has a plan in place. They may do some questionable things but they aren't going to let a 100 plus year company be destroyed by Amazon.

Dude old companies are taken out a lot by younger upstarts.

Returntosender

Amazon is apparently in talks to lease 20 Boeing 767 jets for its own air-cargo business.

This comes on top of Amazon purchasing thousands of truck trailers to transport goods across the country, announcing Amazon Prime Air, and rolling out Amazon Flex.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Amazon plans to flesh out its own delivery system independent of UPS, and we expect this system to make significant strides in 2016.

UPS will lose Amazon business at some point in time, and we believe that a large portion of this loss will happen in 2016.

The threat of Amazon becoming a direct competitor with UPS for e-commerce delivery is a possibility considering Amazon's path with AWS.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3767216-amazon-is-squeezing-ups-out

Returntosender

Dude old companies are taken out a lot by younger upstarts.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/376...ivery-market-ups-secular-growth-story-at-risk

The shares of United Parcel Service (NYSE:UPS) are richly valued, but many argue this rich valuation is indicative of bullish secular trends, including increased e-commerce adoption, and a wide economic moat that ensures long-term success.

We challenge this premonition, arguing that there are multiple headwinds that challenge the secular growth of the business. We believe companies like Uber (Pending:UBER) and Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), that are already using the sharing economy to disrupt the delivery market, pose a particularly imminent threat to UPS' secular growth.

While we do believe UPS will remain the most popular and widely used form of delivery over the next 5-10 years, we hold that independent retailer testing of personal delivery systems, coupled with sharing economy growth will eat away some of UPS' market share.

UPSProbs

Exactly. Amazon misleads the public with their claim of free two day shipping but in reality it's typically standard ground at a discount. And that discount, as you are suggesting, might be going away.
Every site I've used for my Christmas shopping has offered free two day shipping. Now they are offering free one day shipping. I see no reason to re-up my prime.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you think uber and those over valued "upstarts" are going to put ups out of business, you must be buying the overpriced stock of those companies thinking they'll hold their value.
I just can't get over the fact that people keeping buying Amazon. Will they eventually make money? Provably but even with huge profit increases the stock won't be worth its current price for 30+ years.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Exactly. Amazon misleads the public with their claim of free two day shipping but in reality it's typically standard ground at a discount. And that discount, as you are suggesting, might be going away.
2 day shipping means you will have it in 2 days. Doesn't say anywhere that it has to have a 2nd day air label on it.

turbostixxx

Brown Santa
We will most likely continue to lose a percentage of amazon's shipments over time. I read an article that said currently 50% of there shipments are delivered by usps, 15% ups, 10% fed ex and the rest by regional carriers.
USPS does do more for Amazon than UPS, but they don't do anywhere near 50%

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I just can't get over the fact that people keeping buying Amazon. Will they eventually make money? Provably but even with huge profit increases the stock won't be worth its current price for 30+ years.
Exactly. You nailed it. Same with Uber. They're way overvalued for their actual worth.

And yet everyone thinks the sky is falling and they'll put ups out of business.

Maybe after we are retired and dead.

Overpaid Union Thug

2 day shipping means you will have it in 2 days. Doesn't say anywhere that it has to have a 2nd day air label on it.
And that's exactly Amazon's reasoning. But thats not how plenty of customers interpret it. I hear them bragging about it allot. And it often arrives in two days even though it ships from a distribution center that is in the customer's one day shipping zone.