What's The Right Way To Complain?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Update: This is my next expected delivery: 1Z 3AX 971 03 5152 594 2
Can anyone tell me if this one will be signature required?

This is a ground package and should be driver released. In a closed community like your I would say that it would be driver discretion, especially since you say it is mostly computer stuff. I know there are a few drivers here that would not leave computer products without a sig.

Not sure why this shmuck would want to make his life harder. He could DR the package in the first place and have it done with. Instead he is taking the time to fill out a delivery notice and hten having to reattempt the next day. What a bonehead. If I am going to make the effort to walk all the way to the end of a complex I am going to take the package with me and either make a hell of an attempt at a signature or just straight out release the package.

stopcomplete

Some times shippers will use the old green stickers that say " signature required" that will not show up in the diad but still need signature. They do this to try to avoid the extra cost.

browned_out

Sure!
1ZW960F10302704771
1ZW098R40311500420

Those are two packages that shipped and arrived togeather.
Jimbo, the 03 is a ground package that in most instances could and should be DR'd. I'm not sure of the circumstances with that route/driver but I would suggest talking with the center manager on this one. The driver should be able to accept the info notice with your signature, again don't have enough info to determine the problem. Like I stated before the one area that could hurt your deliverys are if the complex you live in is coded for signature only because of prior claims. Good Luck let us know what happens. PS all your pkgs are coded 03-ground delivery

bad company

semi-pro
Some times shippers will use the old green stickers that say " signature required" that will not show up in the diad but still need signature. They do this to try to avoid the extra cost.

Then I don't get a signature. If a shipper fails to pay for a service, I refuse to provide it for free. I love the shippers who write in the comments field of the label "Signature Required" or "Please get signature". If my diad prompts me to get a signature, then I will. Simple as that.

You get what you pay for....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Aren't those the ones that easily fall off while you are walking up to the door?:wink:

O

omega man

Jimbo, if your complex consists of apartments, you must sign for EVERY package. The driver has no option to leave it without a signature. If he does, he assumes a certain amount of liability. We have methods that we must follow and if they are violated the driver can be held accountable. How come you witness all of these things happening but never seem to be able to catch him at the door? IF you are elderly, I am sorry. Please understand that we are all over dispatched and do not have much time to wait at your door. Next time, try to be prompt in doing so and I'm sure you will catch him. Also, you can usually fix any problem by talking to the driver.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Leave a note on your door with your sig, to leave the pkg. I dont leave them myself without a sig, unless its shipper release which your pkg is not. We only recently were told to leave them in apt buildings, without a sig and it is at our discretion. Which in UPS language means, if we leave it and someone steals it, or you say you didnt get it, then our discretion was wrong, and we have to pay for it. I dont see anyone leaving a note, and not knocking, thats ridiculous. If it happens, immediately call the number and say you want to set up a meet with the driver before he returns to the center. If you are ten feet from the door, you should hear footsteps in the hall. Scare the crap out of him and fling the door open while hes writing the note. ASk him what his problem is. We dont know can only guess, and there are bad ones amongst us, as there are bad customers.

DS

Fenderbender
This driver needs to be disciplined.It sounds to me like he is prewriting info notices and prerecording packages and not even attempting the delivery.I dont care if he's in a hurry this is unacceptable.See if you can get the phone # for the place you have to go to pick up your packages.Tell THEM you have a complaint.As a previous poster suggested,ask to talk to the center manager.If you can get his truck number it would speed up the process.This guy sounds like kind of driver that mngmt. likes because his numbers rock.In reality he just makes more work for the rest of us and pisses off good customers.
Try this first,if it does not work I'll PM you a special 1-800 number.

browned_out

:thumbup1: If its the old write up book with the black 1z label I will get a sig, if its a comp generated label (worldship etc) the pkg gets DR'd.

Jimbo

First I want to thank everyone here that replied.
One thing I was looking for is a 'sanity check' from people that are actually walking-the-walk as a UPS delivery driver.
I wanted to keep an open mind as to if there could be a perfectly innocent explanation for my UPS driver's behavior, but I guess there isn't one that accounts for everything and he is just being a dick.
I now feel comfortable in that belief.

OK, with that in mind, to whom do I write too at UPS?
Do I start with Atlanta and let the issue trickle down, or do I find the person that runs the entire Chula Vista facility and write them personally, or do I just write one letter and simply CC: them both?

Right now I’m not interested in going punitive on my driver, but I do now want some management type to call him into their office and have an uncomfortable conversation with the lad and ask him some difficult questions about his nontraditional, non-delivery practices.

Thinking ahead, if that doesn't work, what would be your next move if you were in my shoes?
I want to get this fixed as fast as I can without turning this into a blood feud that goes on forever.

browned_out

What makes the difference?
The difference is, the write up book has the sig req stickers in the back of the book so if you need that service you check the box and apply the sticker. On worldship or any other UPS approved computer generated label you would choose in the program sig req and it will code the label as such, when driver goes to dlvr pkg diad board prompts driver to get a sig.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No blood feud needed, just go to the center and ask for the mgr, this isnt something you need with xmas around the corner. If he turns out to be a jerk, call the 1800 number and ask for the complaint hotline, faster than the snail mail thing. If its anything like there, like at my cneter, he will be waiting for me or tracking me down to find out whats up. keep us posted.

upsgrunt

The difference is, the write up book has the sig req stickers in the back of the book so if you need that service you check the box and apply the sticker. On worldship or any other UPS approved computer generated label you would choose in the program sig req and it will code the label as such, when driver goes to dlvr pkg diad board prompts driver to get a sig.

OK, I get where you are coming from.

browned_out

:thumbup1: Jimbo, I would start with the chula vista office, you can call the 1-800 nmbr and ask them to have a supervisor call you about your deliverys.

upsgrunt

One thing I was looking for is a 'sanity check' from people that are actually walking-the-walk as a UPS delivery driver.
I wanted to keep an open mind as to if there could be a perfectly innocent explanation for my UPS driver's behavior, but I guess there isn't one that accounts for everything and he is just being a dick.

Do I start with Atlanta and let the issue trickle down, or do I find the person that runs the entire Chula Vista facility and write them personally, or do I just write one letter and simply CC: them both?

Right now I’m not interested in going punitive on my driver, but I do now want some management type to call him into their office and have an uncomfortable conversation with the lad and ask him some difficult questions about his nontraditional, non-delivery practices.

Thinking ahead, if that doesn't work, what would be your next move if you were in my shoes?
I want to get this fixed as fast as I can without turning this into a blood feud that goes on forever.
If this person needs a knot jerked in their tail, then so be it. Don't be ashamed if it is you that brings it out in the open. Chances are if they are doing it to you then there are others also. That UPS person is just making us all look bad, and that irks me also.

Jimbo

No blood feud needed, just go to the center and ask for the mgr, this isnt something you need with xmas around the corner. If he turns out to be a jerk, call the 1800 number and ask for the complaint hotline, faster than the snail mail thing. If its anything like there, like at my cneter, he will be waiting for me or tracking me down to find out whats up. keep us posted.

OK, I'll certainly do that.

I really have a lot of respect for what you UPS folks do, and I'm consistently amazed that I can order something over the internet, and for relatively little money, have it in my hot little hands about 48-72 hours later.
Really, when you think about it, that is pretty neat. :thumbup1:

BigBrownSanta

Personally I think this is just a disgruntled consignee who's angry that he had to drive 20 miles to pickup his package. Many people have suggested reasons why the driver is requiring a signature and Jimbo still insists on getting the driver in trouble. It's at the driver's discretion what he needs to do to cover his @ss.

Jimbo

Personally I think this is just a disgruntled consignee who's angry that he had to drive 20 miles to pickup his package. Many people have suggested reasons why the driver is requiring a signature and Jimbo still insists on getting the driver in trouble. It's at the driver's discretion what he needs to do to cover his @ss.

In digging deeper and reading the comments here there is no other explanation that fits ALL of the parameters. That is the part you seem to be willfully ignoring.
Please explain why he would leave an "InfoNotice", with a scribbled out signature area on a package that does not even require a signature.
If he just wanted to cover his ass, why not let me sign the back of it and he can leave it and be absolved from ANY liability.
Why didn't he do that?

Should I be deliriously happy to drive 20 miles out and 20 miles back, twice so far, for something that he simply could have rang my doorbell, handed me the parcel and been done with?
Once is bad luck, twice is an unfortunate coincidence, but three times is a pattern.
In short, I'm PAYING for a service that I am not getting and that driver is getting paid for a job he is not doing.
Please tell me how that can be a good thing.

From this comment, and your first comment (that to me made no sense), you seem to have the attitude that the driver is always right and the customer is always crazy. I wanted to actually get some feedback from real UPS drivers before I pulled the trigger on the complaint process. I thought that just maybe there was something I was not understanding.
If that makes me wrong in your mind then so-be-it.