Whats the rule for sending people home?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think it probably varies by job classification and rightfully so.
In many classifications, seniority is a good system.
For package car drivers, maybe not so much.
If it comes down to one of two drivers getting the day off, should the company be obligated to send the senior driver home and the less senior driver out in the blind on a route?
Shouldn't the company have the right to put the most qualified person to work in a given situation?

I subscribe to the notion that the contract provides for your right to work, not your right not to work on days that are other than paid days off.

bumped

The guarantees sleeve spoke of are not in the contract. There is no guarantee that any of us will live long enough to enjoy the retirement we have all worked so hard for. Do you remember R.C.--he died within 6 months of retiring. Live for today as no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

That being said--I do not like "dead days" . (pun somewhat intended) We get 4 personal and 5 sick days and I think we should have to use all of our paid days before we can take an unpaid day. It is not fair when someone who has paid days left and takes regular dead days is given a day off over someone who does not take dead days and has days left.

YOU get 4 personal and 5 sick days. I get 2 personal and ZERO sick days. I won't use my personal days in the situations that are being discussed. My personal days are on days at my convienance meaning I won't take one of my few personal days at UPS' convienance.

What is being discussed is taking days off the day of. Hey, if you have a personal day and want to take it the day of then you should be able to get it before people take dead days.

bumped

I don't have the option of taking any of my vacation weeks one day at a time.

I do and choose not to being lower on the seniority list. Its harder to get the days I want as only 1 is given per day. But YOU still get substantially more personal days and sick days than some people out there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do and choose not to being lower on the seniority list. Its harder to get the days I want as only 1 is given per day. But YOU still get substantially more personal days and sick days than some people out there.

The point is I should be able to use them when I please and not get bumped by someone who continually uses dead days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think it probably varies by job classification and rightfully so.
In many classifications, seniority is a good system.
For package car drivers, maybe not so much.
If it comes down to one of two drivers getting the day off, should the company be obligated to send the senior driver home and the less senior driver out in the blind on a route?
Shouldn't the company have the right to put the most qualified person to work in a given situation?

I subscribe to the notion that the contract provides for your right to work, not your right not to work on days that are other than paid days off.
I agree with you but the fact that i just got bumped from my route and am back to cover driving may be clouding my judgement. I know very few routes right now and am being offered mucho days off.

cino321

I agree with you but the fact that i just got bumped from my route and am back to cover driving may be clouding my judgement. I know very few routes right now and am being offered mucho days off.

Learn the routes. If you don't work and don't get paid a OPH/Vacation/Sick day the company does not contribute in to the pension and health funds. Working time only (I think it's code 05) means they do not contribute into the funds either so be careful with that one also.

upsman68

Our mgmt team says they are making a business decision and won't let lower seniority guys work if they don't know a route. When I was a swing driver I was always sent out blind. They gave me a DIAD, map, and printout of the pickups.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have it in black and white in our supplement that days off will be offered in seniority order and grievances do get filed when the center lets a junior driver go home ahead of a senior driver. I'm sympathetic to the argument that someone shouldn't be forced to go out in the blind over this, but too often I've seen that excuse used when we have cover drivers who have been around for 2-3 years and only know 2-3 routes.

What'dyabringmetoday???

The guarantees sleeve spoke of are not in the contract. There is no guarantee that any of us will live long enough to enjoy the retirement we have all worked so hard for. Do you remember R.C.--he died within 6 months of retiring. Live for today as no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

That being said--I do not like "dead days" . (pun somewhat intended) We get 4 personal and 5 sick days and I think we should have to use all of our paid days before we can take an unpaid day. It is not fair when someone who has paid days left and takes regular dead days is given a day off over someone who does not take dead days and has days left.
Yeah, I fully understood the point. And, I think you understood mine. AND, please don't keel over, I fully agree with your post.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
At our center, the only ones who are given the opportunity to go home are splitters or unloaders. If you load cars, you dont get to go home. 5 1/2 years and Ive never had the oppotunity to go home. Now, when PAS gets here in 2 weeks (been hearing this for over a year), everyone will be equal. We will see!