What's Your Relationship With Management?

542thruNthru

I love my management team!
🧔✊
sketch-1606969753417.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
I had at least 10 Center Managers in my 30 years. Everyone of them came in smoking thinking they were going to set the world on fire. Most of them were pricks the whole time they were there but a couple of them settled down and learned their place and weren't "awful" to work for most of the year. This was back when they actually had to run a center and not just "regurgitate"orders from above. I never met a pt sup or on-car who knew his ass from a hole in the ground when it came to how to load a truck or deliver a route.

542thruNthru

I had at least 10 Center Managers in my 30 years. Everyone of them came in smoking thinking they were going to set the world on fire. Most of them were pricks the whole time they were there but a couple of them settled down and learned their place and weren't "awful" to work for most of the year. This was back when they actually had to run a center and not just "regurgitate"orders from above. I never met a pt sup or on-car who knew his ass from a hole in the ground when it came to how to load a truck or deliver a route.
What about a ice hole in the lake?

rod

Retired 22 years
What about a ice hole in the lake?
Never seen one of them on a frozen lake. I would have directed him to the thin ice. I take that back. We did have an on-road one time who was running a mis-loaded package to another driver who actually took a shortcut across a frozen lake in a UPS truck. That would have make a great picture on the news as he and the truck sinks through to ice to the bottom of the lake----but unfortunately he made it across.

rickyb

How do you guys get along with management in your center? I have seen everything from the runners that walk around with a hint of supervisor nutsack on their breath to veterans that refuse to even converse with management without a shop steward present. One guy even rejects all UPS related calls and kindly instructs them to direct all communication through the DIAD. I personally have no use for management. I have seen the underhanded things they have done to guys and I avoid them. I walk in, fill my cooler, grab my DIAD/call tags and head to my car. Limit communication as much a possible.
sexual

watdaflock?

Once a year I converse with my manager, during the safety/hazmat video training. Rest of the time, possibly a casual "good morning" when passing each other. Perfect management relationship.

watdaflock?

Sups are okay. There's a mutual respect as people thing. The center manager is actually extremely respectful, he never yells, he works his ass off and its gained the respect of us. His priority is safety and understands people have bad days. A definite old school walk the walk type. Itll be a day in hell when he eventually leaves.
Over/under is eight months until that center manager is transferred to another location.

Ghost in the Darkness

I ignore phone calls. I use the friend/u button for most messages. I may have a sentence or 2 conversation with my sup every couple of months. Haven't spoken with center manager since June since I called him and his dispatcher into his office and ripped them a new one. The other sup I may occasionally have a short non-work related conversation... she doesn't do much of anything work related.
So all-in-all my management relationship is great and low stress. When you make it a point to be left alone... they eventually leave you alone. No pcms is great... I come in get my diad and leave.... then come back in the evening and they are gone... its great.

The part time sups are decent people and just stuck in a shiite job. One oms is the go-to for pretty much everyone... she actually does her job and tries to be helpful.

quad decade guy

In my center the safety committee usually consists of the members that have the best relationships with management. LOL
I'm fairly new to my building as they shut my other one down for something newer and bigger. I don't know 95% of my coworkers. There is this one chick that serves food, safety stuff and generally acts like mgt. So I went to her with a operations question(like you would any ORS)(I thought she was!)(always in the ORS office). She said "Oh, I'm not mgt....". Could have fooled me(did). Speaking of, my foray into the safety committee lasted about 3 months. It takes that long to see that it's not about safety....it's about filling in the check boxes of "safety reports" and snacks. Start talking and pointing out dangerous behavior on the yard and you will quickly be shut down and ignored. Safety to these people is about half days doing bs in the office, taking "field trips" and building brownie(sorry) points. Hell, around here, they have the use of golf carts. This stuff would have been hard to imagine just a few years ago. Matter of fact, I've seen mgt. take out chairs and stools to force people to stand while doing say turn ins and such or even their jobs.