When did u stop being cheap?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Investing or making your money work for you is something I’m all for.

Letting it sit in a bank account and get eaten away by inflation is stupid.

Est.1998

Consumer Reports says the best mattresses run from $1500 to $2000. You are getting ripped off if paying more.
I see homeless people getting on just well using a sleeping bag under a bridge.
I know good and well you all will be just fine with a $1k mattress!

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Find a good bed. You can't take the money with you when you die.
I remember when I was 19 me and my, at that time, future mother-in-law was talking. My in laws was the type that always spent more than they had while I was money minded even at 19. My mother-in-law said to me "you cant take it with you when you die" my reply was "I'm not worried about taking it with me I just want it to last while I'm here" Fast forward 39yrs to today and I'm retired while she is dragging herself to work (which she hates) at 80 yrs old and also still having to have help with any out of the ordinary bills. It is always fun and games to say "I will work till I die" and "You can't take it with you" while we are young but watching an older person with the physical body of an old person having to go to work all of a sudden doesn't seem so funny.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm so cheap I can make 40 bucks last 2 weeks and still have 20 left over.
We have a joke here in Mn. about Iwegans wearing bib overalls with a dollar in the pocket who vacation up here for two weeks and return home having not changed either one.

Exactly the point I have tried to make!
Others might say " Why spend 7k on a vehicle worth maybe 5k?"
If you are going to keep it, makes no difference.
We KNOW you could not buy a vehicle for 7k with all that work done to it...

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. My diesel is prob worth $15k-$18k, but would cost me at least $50k to replace it with something newer, $70k+ to replace with new. The truck cost me $19k 3 years ago with 104k miles, now has 156k with all new seals, head studs, water and oil pumps, etc. It'll pull anything I need it to and is easy around town. $7,000 is only 7 months' worth of new truck payments, my current truck payment is $0/mo. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Treat credit cards like a more convenient form of cash. Don't charge anything to them I don't have the disposable cash for.
  • Only have one car. And don't finance them if possible. If it's necessary in order to get a reliable vehicle, after a trade in and down payment I don't want to pay on it for more than two years, and will pay it off even earlier if I can swing it.
  • No financing of toys. That means any new motorcycles are coming home with the title. Make a trade and write a check for the remainder.
  • Don't own a house for a number of reasons, but if I ever chose to do so, it would just need to be a modest living quarter. Don't need some grand bull:censored2:.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
The pillow I lay my head on at night is twenty three years old. Sounds weird, but it's comfortable and I like it. Hard to sleep on anything else.
Is it a daki?

Honestly, Aldi's is my best friend when buying grocery essentials. It absolutely blows my mind how effing expensive groceries are, especially things like cereal.