When Did You Realize That You're Just a Number?

Indecisi0n

I had a family member die and needed the day off. center manager told me that if I didn't send him a picture of me with the body that I would face disciplinary action.

UPSER1987

You missed the point completely. I do not expect a multinational shipping company to shut down due to one of its employees having major medical emergency at work. What I do expect, however, is for employees to be treated better than we currently are. Read the threads. This company is SCUM. They are running a business and the end goal is profit, any adult understands that. But the consistent dishonesty, disregard for employee wellness, and farce of "safety" is not good business. You end up with thousands of disgruntled workers who don't feel like they have a stake in the company. Most of us arent going anywhere, but please get off your knees and realize that wrong is wrong, no matter where you work. Have an outstanding day!
This whole rant can and is applied to any company. We are all dispensable numbers. Take care of your own safety and don’t be dishonest. Don’t expect anyone else to look out for your best interest or babysit you. If you feel that strongly against the company, you could always leave. None of us are chained to this job. We make a conscious decision to work here every day.

Seymour Packages

This whole rant can and is applied to any company. We are all dispensable numbers. Take care of your own safety and don’t be dishonest. Don’t expect anyone else to look out for your best interest or babysit you. If you feel that strongly against the company, you could always leave. None of us are chained to this job. We make a conscious decision to work here every day.
13 years and I will be on my way.

Last edited:

SandSpida

I had a family member die and needed the day off. center manager told me that if I didn't send him a picture of me with the body that I would face disciplinary action.
I’ve got to ask, did you get the picture? I’m not calling BS. I’m just not surprised anymore when I read or hear stories like this.

Just Lurking

I realized that I was just a number as a young preloader.

I called in in December with a high fever and vomiting. I was told to come in or I would be fired.

I went in and passed out on the floor for 2 1\2 hours. I was paid to not work and all of my co workers were told that if they stopped to help me that they would be fired.

I woke up and was given a chair and had to tell another employee were to load what (in the days of load charts).

See why I have an attitude problem?
UPS had job fair at the local university the last week of April. I applied and did all the paperwork and fingerprinting that they required at the time. They said it will take a few weeks to process be hired. Got call the next day which was the last day of April for the midnight sort. I arrive on time and ready to start, they manager says no told him I was starting and he didn't need me so I go home. The next day I get called to come in on the twilight sort. I need to be on time for sort or don't have a job. I make it on time and work the sort. Later that night I get a call to work the midnight sort. The manager was upset that worked the twilight and been assigned to that sort permanently.

I say all of that because if I worked on April 30 I would have been permanent hire that gained seniority in 30 days, Since I started one May 1st, I was considered summer seasonal that had to work the summer and gain seniority have Labor Day. The added insult was not making seniority by August 1st, I missed out on the $500 bonus that was awarded on December 1st the next three years.

Agitated the poor college student me to no end when everyone talked about the bonus checks.

That's when I realized it was numbers game.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
The only number I care about is the one on my check. Let’s be completely honest, no matter who the hell you work for, you are just a number. The show will continue without you, a business has to be run, this is not something that only applies to ups. Do your job, do it safely, and collect your check at the end of the week. Leave work at work and stop being so damn dramatic.

DriverNerd

When I was part time, about a year in, I asked for a Thursday and Friday off (well in advance). My supervisor asked what I needed it off for and I told him I had a flight leaving Thursday morning for Miami to visit my dad. He said that being winter in Minnesota it was a good time to visit Miami. The next day he told me I could have Thursday off but not Friday.

A. Wrench

2008... right after a particularly slimy District Director of HR informed me that as far as the pension was concerned the words "Hire" and "Promote" meant the same thing. And that being said I had no pension. Then he asked me if I had everything I was promised by HR the month before "In Writing". Being thought of as a number would have been an upgrade... it made me feel like a piece of trash.

trickpony1

2008... right after a particularly slimy District Director of HR informed me that as far as the pension was concerned the words "Hire" and "Promote" meant the same thing. And that being said I had no pension. Then he asked me if I had everything I was promised by HR the month before "In Writing". Being thought of as a number would have been an upgrade... it made me feel like a piece of trash.
You didn't bother to mention if you're an hourly union employee or in management.
This would help in understanding your story.

Hope this helps.

A. Wrench

You didn't bother to mention if you're an hourly union employee or in management.
This would help in understanding your story.

Hope this helps.
I'm sorry... thought I was on the partner thread. New here. I was promoted to management 1-11-2008. Was told in December 2007 by my District HR manager that none of the upcoming changes would affect me. Long story, but my years were split up between two unions and the HR manager said "This is a no brainer for you... all of your years will count toward the UPS Management Pension Plan". He said a lot of things... none of them turned out to be true.

watdaflock?

I'm sorry... thought I was on the partner thread. New here. I was promoted to management 1-11-2008. Was told in December 2007 by my District HR manager that none of the upcoming changes would affect me. Long story, but my years were split up between two unions and the HR manager said "This is a no brainer for you... all of your years will count toward the UPS Management Pension Plan". He said a lot of things... none of them turned out to be true.
lol You saying "promoted" to management is really funny.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

The old adage
If their lips are moving they are lying
proves true once again

rod

Retired 22 years
You all think you are just a number now------just wait until you get on SS and Medicare. Then you become just a number most people are waiting for to die so they can move up a notch :-)

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
If you go to a job every day and you do not see the owner on a regular basis, you are just a number. I have my own business and my employees are family. If you want a job where you are not a number, UPS is the wrong place for you.