When working in hot weather what do you think is adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker Clock

I think the following part of what you posted confirms OSHA’s governing of the UPS Package Car Driver job.

Anyway as I said I would I made an inquiry about this issue to OSHA and included your position on this mattter.

I will get back when I receive a response.

i have a novel idea.

Why don’t you quit making false statements about UPS having to supply package car and feeder drivers with water until you contact OSHA.

Youre spreading false information and stating false facts. Twitter would ban you.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I can appreciate Your disagreement but I think I will take someone like @scratch experience as a veteran driver with many years under his belt advice before I take yours. And many of the new people would be wise to do the same, this is how you do it you follow in the footsteps of the people who did it before you successfully.
I understand.

Do you disagree with the OSHA requirement?

Thebrownblob

I understand.

I don’t disagree necessarily but I also understand OSHA is a government entity more concerned with assessing fines then actual safety. I believe reasonable people both in management and hourly can get through the summer is just fine I’m on my 30th one and never had a problem it’s 102° today and I’m working. Not a problem at all. We had water Gatorade liquid IV all kinds of fruit as well as several supervisors chasing people giving cold water and Gatorade throughout the day. Government‘s tend to give one size fits all solutions to problems that have many different issues.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
picdump_4100_06.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I understand.

The OSHA requirement is to supply water inside facilities, and the company does that. So they are compliant with that. I don't see any laws saying they have to supply drivers with water. As a professional driver, I always knew what to do to take care of myself. That's common sense and there shouldn't be laws for that.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Safety and health professionals recommend about 3 gallons of water when working in hot conditions.

How long is your shift usually?
Ain’t no way I need 3 gallons. I drank that whole gallon and I pissed clear or near clear everytime. I pissed about 5-6 times yesterday and I worked 12 hours

Trucker Clock

The OSHA requirement is to supply water inside facilities, and the company does that. So they are compliant with that. I don't see any laws saying they have to supply drivers with water. As a professional driver, I always knew what to do to take care of myself. That's common sense and there shouldn't be laws for that.

Correct.

And UPS does supply the water for every driver to take with them to stay hydrated throughout the day. People like @Integrity have no personal responsibility and want the Company to hand hold their hand all day long and tell them when to drink, what to drink and how much to drink.

We are all grownass adults that can take care of our own needs, and have been taking care of our own needs, for years. @Integrity belongs in a kindergarten classroom where the children have not yet learned to take care of themselves.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

Correct.

And UPS does supply the water for every driver to take with them to stay hydrated throughout the day. People like @Integrity have no personal responsibility and want the Company to hand hold their hand all day long and tell them when to drink, what to drink and how much to drink.

We are all grownass adults that can take care of our own needs, and have been taking care of our own needs, for years. @Integrity belongs in a kindergarten classroom where the children have not yet learned to take care of themselves.

I'm sorry. I fully retract everything I said. When I'm wrong, I have no issues admitting that I am wrong.

@Integrity doesn't think that UPS should tell him what to drink, when to drink or how much to drink, he thinks the Government should tell him what to drink, when to drink and how much to drink.

He has no personal responsibility. He thinks the Government should take care of him. He is a far left leaning liberal that thinks the Government should take care of his safety needs and tell him how to be safe, and to force his employer to make sure he is safe. He has no personal responsibility for his own safety. He expects the Government to do this for him.

He cannot decide on where to obtain his water from, how much water he should bring with him or how much water he should drink. He thinks the Government will do this for him. He thinks the Government will force his employer to supply him with life saving water in the heat of the summer. He thinks the Government will force his employer to make sure he has enough water with him throughout the day. He thinks the Government will force his employer to make sure he drinks enough water throughout the day to stay hydrated. He thinks the Government will take care of his personal responsibility to stay safe and hydrated throughout the day.

He doesn't know how much water to bring, where to get it from or how much to drink. The Government will take care of this for him. No personal responsibility whatsoever.

upser2020

On a typical 10 hour day hot in the hub I go thru a gallon igloo of cold water and 2 cold bottles of mt dew. I know not the healthiest but at least it's about 2 or 3 to 1 water to soda which does help a little with sugar and electrolytes(admittedly sports drinks are better but the carbonation is a little better on my stomach). If it's hot they usually give out squincher Popsicles and Gatorade packets at the door. They typically do have plenty of water fountains but usually only one or two working ice machines. The sups will typically go around and try to hand out cold water bottles especially in the grid.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Here we go again.

There is no OSHA requirement to supply package car drivers with water. But, UPS still does. Fill your water jugs with free UPS provided water from the water fountains before you leave.
I will get back with you once my OSHA inquiry is answered, should be within 10 days.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don’t disagree necessarily but I also understand OSHA is a government entity more concerned with assessing fines then actual safety.
I have had good experiences and some success with OSHA. I don’t view OSHA in this way. Not perfect though. What is?

I believe reasonable people both in management and hourly can get through the summer is just fine I’m on my 30th one and never had a problem it’s 102° today and I’m working. Not a problem at all. We had water Gatorade liquid IV all kinds of fruit as well as several supervisors chasing people giving cold water and Gatorade throughout the day. Government‘s tend to give one size fits all solutions to problems that have many different issues.
You seem like you are in an excellent building where the management seem to be reasonable in meeting their responsibility as employers.

Unfortunately in my area, my experience has been unreasonable UPS management employees that most often seem to want to fight over their responsibilities as employers. They then try to divide the work group using a “blame the worker” approach.

Thus the reason for OSHA involvement.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The OSHA requirement is to supply water inside facilities, and the company does that. So they are compliant with that. I don't see any laws saying they have to supply drivers with water.
I don’t understand how you separate package car drivers from other employees working in hot conditions. I have to respect you view though. I do respectfully disagree.
As a professional driver, I always knew what to do to take care of myself.
I admire the responsibility you take for your when IMO UPS is shirking their responsibility in this area. We definitely have to see that we are taken care of.
That's common sense and there shouldn't be laws for that.
In my experience UPS local management lacks much common sense with the decisions they make and the way they treat orhers.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Correct.

I disagree with this assessment of me. I take responsibility for my behavior at UPS and I always have.
Again I disagree.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm sorry. I fully retract everything I said. When I'm wrong, I have no issues admitting that I am wrong.
I am glad.
@Integrity doesn't think that UPS should tell him what to drink, when to drink or how much to drink, he thinks the Government should tell him what to drink, when to drink and how much to drink.
Not true
He has no personal responsibility. He thinks the Government should take care of him.
Not true.
He is a far left leaning liberal that thinks the Government should take care of his safety needs and tell him how to be safe, and to force his employer to make sure he is safe.
Why must you you here?
He has no personal responsibility for his own safety. He expects the Government to do this for him.
I do.
He cannot decide on where to obtain his water from, how much water he should bring with him or how much water he should drink. He thinks the Government will do this for him. He thinks the Government will force his employer to supply him with life saving water in the heat of the summer. He thinks the Government will force his employer to make sure he has enough water with him throughout the day. He thinks the Government will force his employer to make sure he drinks enough water throughout the day to stay hydrated. He thinks the Government will take care of his personal responsibility to stay safe and hydrated throughout the day.
I have stated my opinion based upon my interpretation why the far reaching into reading my mind. I told you. I’ll get back to you when I have the answer to my inquiry from OSHA.
Why does this have to become personal. Can’t we agree to disagree.
He doesn't know how much water to bring, where to get it from or how much to drink. The Government will take care of this for him. No personal responsibility whatsoever.
Again why does this have to get personal?

If you want to get personal please private conversation me. IMO Doing this in open public forum is distract to the topic in discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.