When you retired what was your final day like?

PT Car Washer

When I retired I told management I didn‘t want any recognition or even to mention I was leaving. I told the few drivers that I wanted to know and the rest are probably still wondering what happened to me. I slipped in the last morning I worked and no supervisor said anything to me and when I was done that evening I slipped out without seeing any supervisors. I haven‘t been back to that building nor do I ever plan on going back. I survived 39+ years at UPS flying under the radar and that was the way I wanted to leave.
That is my plan. Someday.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why not do the fake hoopla before the start time? Nobody really is paying attention. Sure a few are, but most are looking at the diad's, calls, or phones, worried about getting up on the line. Once the start time hits, it's over.

I guess they don't because nobody would be there.

tourists24

Why not do the fake hoopla before the start time? Nobody really is paying attention. Sure a few are, but most are looking at the diad's, calls, or phones, worried about getting up on the line. Once the start time hits, it's over.

I guess they don't because nobody would be there.
In my case they did all the hoopla 30 minutes before start times. It was a big breakfast layout. I didn't ask for it but that's the way they did it. The awards part was at start time. I'm sure a lot of guys could've cared less and that's ok too. I was a shop steward for many years and we're a fairly big center so I had a lot of friends to say bye to. Not the way I thought I'd leave that place but I still left happy

quad decade guy

In my case they did all the hoopla 30 minutes before start times. It was a big breakfast layout. I didn't ask for it but that's the way they did it. The awards part was at start time. I'm sure a lot of guys could've cared less and that's ok too. I was a shop steward for many years and we're a fairly big center so I had a lot of friends to say bye to. Not the way I thought I'd leave that place but I still left happy
Not the way? You mean with a party/recognition?

Folks could care less because that's the way mgt. wants it. Divide and conquer.

The floggings start at the top and are administered all the way down.

Congrats on making it.

quad decade guy

When I retired I told management I didn‘t want any recognition or even to mention I was leaving. I told the few drivers that I wanted to know and the rest are probably still wondering what happened to me. I slipped in the last morning I worked and no supervisor said anything to me and when I was done that evening I slipped out without seeing any supervisors. I haven‘t been back to that building nor do I ever plan on going back. I survived 39+ years at UPS flying under the radar and that was the way I wanted to leave.
I am curious....

39 years......did that seem natural to you? It does to me. So, you had to be at least 57.

I'm belittled and shamed for being here 41 years at 59. Everyone else seems to get a free pass......

What benchmarks facilitated you leaving? Please. Age? SSI?

So, did you see any movement towards replacing you like your run/area being bid etc.(assuming you were hourly).

Also, any hint the sups knew? During the lead up?

Thanks.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Don't want a retirement party? Have a panic attack.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I ran air and meets for 4 hrs, icy rain, very cold. I said I cant do this another hour. Turned in all my uniforms, except the one I had on and left. Never returned. 8 yrs pt, and 24 driving.

Indecisi0n

Just another day with no mention of my retiring. Did my thing - punched out and went to the local saloon. Even up to within a couple weeks before I retired they were still on me to do better :-)----What a bunch of idiots. Heard later that the following day my old route had more stops added to it.
Saloon? Was Wyatt Earp there ?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Just another day with no mention of my retiring. Did my thing - punched out and went to the local saloon. Even up to within a couple weeks before I retired they were still on me to do better :-)----What a bunch of idiots. Heard later that the following day my old route had more stops added to it.
You need to pick up the pace

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm belittled and shamed for being here 41 years at 59. Everyone else seems to get a free pass......
We’ve been over this before but you keep bringing it up
It’s not necessarily the years. It’s your whiny everybody’s being hateful too me attitude

Not bullying just explaining the situation that tough guy brought up

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I am curious....

39 years......did that seem natural to you? It does to me. So, you had to be at least 57.

What benchmarks facilitated you leaving? Please. Age? SSI?

So, did you see any movement towards replacing you like your run/area being bid etc.(assuming you were hourly).

Also, any hint the sups knew? During the lead up?

Thanks.

I started when I was 18. I did part time for 6 yrs. Went to full time driver at 24. My goal was to make it till I was 55 for the insurance. When I got to 55 I still had some doubts about retiring so I went day by day until one day when I was 57 I woke up and was 100% sure I never wanted to do any part of this job again. I then started the process online and never told a supervisor. I told the drivers I wanted to know and word got out to a few more drivers but most didn’t have a clue I was retiring. A few weeks before I retired I got a call on the way in to work and my supervisor asked me if what he heard was true? I said “it depends on what you heard” then I told him yes I’m retiring and I don’t want any recognition or to even mention I’m leaving. He ask if he could mention it to at least our group of drivers (we had 4 groups with 4 different supervisors) I said no. He did as I asked.
No one belittled me. I actually got a lot of respect from everyone. There was no one there that I had any problems with. That is probably because I came in did my job and went home. No hanging around and shop talking about UPS. Never sitting in the office talking with supervision off the clock. I flew Under the radar. I remember a few years before I retired I once told a supervisor on a safety ride that my goal was to walk out of that place and people not even know I ever worked there. He responded with “You are doing a good job of that”

PS. I was asked if I wanted a retirement party from family and friends and I said “My retirement party starts the day I retire and last until the day I die. That’s all the party I need”

Last edited:

quad decade guy

I started when I was 18. I did part time for 6 yrs. Went to full time driver at 24. My goal was to make it till I was 55 for the insurance. When I got to 55 I still had some doubts about retiring so I went day by day until one day when I was 57 I woke up and was 100% sure I never wanted to do any part of this job again. I then started the process online and never told a supervisor. I told the drivers I wanted to know and word got out to a few more drivers but most didn’t have a clue I was retiring. A few weeks before I retired I got a call on the way in to work and my supervisor asked me if what he heard was true? I said “it depends on what you heard” then I told him yes I’m retiring and I don’t want any recognition or to even mention I’m leaving. He ask if he could mention it to at least our group of drivers (we had 4 groups with 4 different supervisors) I said no. He did as I asked.
No one belittled me. I actually got a lot of respect from everyone. There was no one there that I had any problems with. That is probably because I came in did my job and went home. No hanging around and shop talking about UPS. Never sitting in the office talking with supervision off the clock. I flew Under the radar. I remember a few years before I retired I once told a supervisor on a safety ride that my goal was to walk out of that place and people not even know I ever worked there. He responded with “You are doing a good job of that”

PS. I was asked if I wanted a retirement party from family and friends and I said “My retirement party starts the day I retire and last until the day I die. That’s all the party I need”
The belittling comment was for the BC crowd....a rhetorical question....

I find it fascinating that a person could retire with 39 years and his immediate supervisor didn't know....

As low profile as you were, why did you take the call?

I have heard of drivers retiring and not even the manager knew....hard to believe really. But I guess HR(in those days) could handle everything(employment verifications) and such. I know I will at least talk to the payroll clerk and my On Road mgr to verify my last check....to make sure.

Do you find it weird that you spent 39 years at the same place with so little(if any) regard or (seemingly) respect for the company? Personally, I do( as I'm of the same mind). Personally, I wished I could have worked in aviation.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
The belittling comment was for the BC crowd....a rhetorical question....

I find it fascinating that a person could retire with 39 years and his immediate supervisor didn't know....

As low profile as you were, why did you take the call?

I have heard of drivers retiring and not even the manager knew....hard to believe really. But I guess HR(in those days) could handle everything(employment verifications) and such. I know I will at least talk to the payroll clerk and my On Road mgr to verify my last check....to make sure.

Do you find it weird that you spent 39 years at the same place with so little(if any) regard or (seemingly) respect for the company? Personally, I do( as I'm of the same mind). Personally, I wished I could have worked in aviation.
Question 1…. About the belittle comment from BC… No people here seem to belittle people after 40 yrs, that seems to be the magic number (I don‘t know why that is) I had 39 yrs 2 months and 1 week. People here has said “those people staying over 40 are weird, I just squeaked out of weirdness I guess. 😂

Question 2… I didn’t know what my supervisor did or didn’t know. I did not talk to the supervisors unless they talked to me besides saying “Hello” in passing. I wasn’t sure if word had gotten back to them that I was retiring or not. I was kind of surprised when I got the phone call, but that was the point that I knew he hadn’t heard up until that point.

Question 3… I took the call because I would always take any call from supervision (very rarely did that happen). Management didn’t harass me my last years (they had learned by then it didn’t work) so I was really surprised when my phone rang on the way to work. I was low profile not a butt to management.

Lastly… I did find it feeling weird the last 5 or 6 yrs. Before that I didn’t think about it I just did my job day to day. I remember feeling like I didn’t belong there but by that time I had to many years invested. I was a high school drop out that took my GED so I was grateful to have a high paying job. I would think of leaving at times but didn’t want to take the financial hit I would take doing something else. like I said I flew under the radar so management didn’t bother me except for the daily crap that they bother everyone with. I was at the company for the money and benefits and really nothing else. That was the only reason I stayed all those years. The last yrs the job kept getting worse and worse until the day I knew I did not want to do this anymore. I woke up one day and all concern about retiring was gone and I knew I could not do this job any longer. That was the feeling (sign) I had been waiting for to know it was time to retire.

So I thank UPS for making it possible for a high school dropout to be able to retire at 57 yrs old while my college graduate buddies are still working and telling me how much they envy me.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I ran air and meets for 4 hrs, icy rain, very cold. I said I cant do this another hour. Turned in all my uniforms, except the one I had on and left. Never returned. 8 yrs pt, and 24 driving.
I kept a couple uniforms but finally threw them out.

Kept my winter jacket, winter vest, winter bomber cap.
Have to admit this stuff keeps you warm.

Re-Raise

I kept a few polos with the circle of honor patches on the sleeve which were new. Probably never wear them.

I have a couple of jackets that I wear when I need something that I can ruin

Couldn't even make it 40 years?

WTH?

JK buddy.