When you retired what was your final day like?

mcsports77

In other threads it pops up now and then how people experienced the last or last days before retirement by the company and your peer's.

So for all of you that have retired, what was your experience like?
It was really a great day! Ran my usual air run to airport and once I got back to center I was asked if I wanted to run any stops or just run a few air and leave. So I just ran a few Air stops and came back to center around 11 and called it a day. Pretty easy day and management respected the fact you made it to retirement. Retired February of 2020 and have been back just once to center. Had good days and bad days. Almost always depends on what kind of manager you had at the time. I had some great supervisor’s and some downright sorry managers. I can honestly say the good ones are still around and the bad ones got their just do most of the time!! Don’t let the sorry, cocky supervisor’s run you off or intimidate you. You will probably be there long after they are gone.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Wondering why i still have dreams about work? In the dream I know I can re-retire and wonder why I'm working.

Told Debbie ( my old BA) I was gonna file a grievance to get paid for work done in dreams.
She had a good laugh over that.

clean hairy

My last day will be the same as any other.
Except for saying "see you tomorrow!" Or, "Have a good weekend! See you Monday" (depending on which day of the week it is)
Looks like it will be middle of 2023...

quad decade guy

Except for saying "see you tomorrow!" Or, "Have a good weekend! See you Monday" (depending on which day of the week it is)
Hi,

Curious why you wouldn't go ahead and clock that 6 weeks vacation? Stay a few months and get 6 free grand.

Thanks.

My Wife wants me to retire tomorrow(This Monday). If I do...it will cost us $6K.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!

I retired Oct 30 2020. I made sure I put in enough hours that year to get all 6 weeks vacation pay. It was a nice check.
Sounds like you are going out like I did. I did my last day and only a few drivers knew it was my last day. Made sure management knew I didn’t want it even mentioned that it was my last day. At the end of the day I slipped out of that place without even seeing a supervisor. and that will be the last time I ever see the inside of that building.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How old will you be when you walk out of here for the last time?

clean hairy

Hi,

Curious why you wouldn't go ahead and clock that 6 weeks vacation? Stay a few months and get 6 free grand.

Thanks.

My Wife wants me to retire tomorrow(This Monday). If I do...it will cost us $6K.
I would use a couple of weeks, retire and have a nice fat check for the remaing weeks as some extra cash. Maybe use the vacation money to travel for a couple of weeks.

Re-Raise

I would use a couple of weeks, retire and have a nice fat check for the remaing weeks as some extra cash. Maybe use the vacation money to travel for a couple of weeks.
Agreed!

They have to pay you for your earned vacation time even if you retire before taking it. I got a $9k vacation check the same week I got a pension check. It seems like a more profitable way to do it than taking the time off before retirement

qdg2

We had a guy retire just before start time the other day. He handed in his IVIS and ID and left. They ran after him...."I'm retired". That was it. Nice guy too. Word was he quit over in-cab cameras. IDK.

They had no clue.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Working at UPS is like the frog in pan of water on stove.
At the beginning everything is fine.
Over the years it starts getting warmer and warmer and before you know you either jump out or you're cooked.

he jumped. I jumped at age 58 with no regrets.
some people don't and croak way before their time.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Working at UPS is like the frog in pan of water on stove.
At the beginning everything is fine.
Over the years it starts getting warmer and warmer and before you know you either jump out or you're cooked.

he jumped. I jumped at age 58 with no regrets.
some people don't and croak way before their time.
@qdg2 ….