Where is the Driver buyout?

I GOT ONE MORE

Don't know why people count on the company to give you anything. If you put money away every week, in 25 you shouldn't need the pension. If we get one then it should be a bonus........ JMO.

I am planning for my future by taking care of business and not counting on anything.

Well said......

Most people need to stop living just for Friday, everyone needs longer term goals.

As quoted by Zig Ziglar and repeated by Dave Ramsey,

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I became a disciple of Dave Ramsey in June 2009 and, to date, have reduced my debt by $15K. Hope to be debt free, other than my mortage, by this Christmas. This will hopefully put me in a position where I can decide when I will retire, not the other way around.

bumped

Don't know why people count on the company to give you anything. If you put money away every week, in 25 you shouldn't need the pension. If we get one then it should be a bonus........ JMO.

I am planning for my future by taking care of business and not counting on anything.

Do you have kids?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can't see why anyone who is still able to perform the work would retire in this economy unless their spouse made a really good salary with benefits. I wouldn't even ponder it.

30 years is long enough to do anything.

I'm gone the first day I am eligible. I can go work at my wife's company, sit in an air-conditioned room with a radio, and assemble widgets for $10 an hour....and that plus my pension will equal or exceed what I'm making now. No stress, no daily grind, no issues.

Or I can drive a school bus for 6 hrs per day and take the entire summer off to play golf.:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
30 years is long enough to do anything.

I'm gone the first day I am eligible. I can go work at my wife's company, sit in an air-conditioned room with a radio, and assemble widgets for $10 an hour....and that plus my pension will equal or exceed what I'm making now. No stress, no daily grind, no issues.

Or I can drive a school bus for 6 hrs per day and take the entire summer off to play golf.:happy-very:
And all the major holidays.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, does your local impose any restrictions on the number of hours that you can work and still receive your full pension? Our local limits us to 40 hours per month which is why our two most recent retirees are working at jobs which pay them under the table.

Highwayman

You won't get a driver buyout with out a HOFFA buyout! I read Dave Ramsey's book 4 years ago took me about a year to be debt free. What a load off my mind.:happy-very: Now I buy used cars for cash. My wife just completed college (cash).:happy2: She is driving an 11 year old car she loves and I upgraded to a 2003 pickup last summer before our Las Vegas vacation. It can be done if you and your spouse work together. Yeah kids are grown, daughter married son at home no job (19 years old).:sad-little:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You won't get a driver buyout with out a HOFFA buyout! I read Dave Ramsey's book 4 years ago took me about a year to be debt free. What a load off my mind.:happy-very: Now I buy used cars for cash. My wife just completed college (cash).:happy2: She is driving an 11 year old car she loves and I upgraded to a 2005 pickup last summer before our Las Vegas vacation. It can be done if you and your spouse work together. Yeah kids are grown, daughter married son at home no job (19 years old).:sad-little:

Close family? j/k

Highwayman

Yeah pretty much daughter lives 20 miles away and gets along great with mom since she moved out at 18. Son stays home and plays games on computer all night, no motivation. The wife just graduated Summa *** Laude (3.99 gpa) in Education. Looking for a teaching job with bennies so I can leave the BIG BROWN TEAM when i'm eligible in 4 years. Looking forward to being a kept man.:wink2: I'M DEBT FREE!!!:smart:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are right on point. This is not about drivers, It is about reducing redundancy. It is also about creating a more streamlined efficient unit that moves in the same direction and allowing the most effective managers to be put in positions that will compliment their skill level.

As for the partnership, this started going south after the company went public (and really before that).

I remember the good ole days when you knew the spouse of your boss and another level up from them. When you felt like you were part of Jim Casey's family and you would be protected supported and nurtured. I feel bad for those who have never known those feelings.

Is it like Love ... better to have been loved than to never have known love at all? :wink2:

I been here long enough to have experienced both sides.
Not exactly the same feeling as about my parents but my Dad died 25 years ago and my Mama died 15 years ago.
I miss them but you have to go on with your life and there is nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, does your local impose any restrictions on the number of hours that you can work and still receive your full pension? Our local limits us to 40 hours per month which is why our two most recent retirees are working at jobs which pay them under the table.

No restriction on hours, only on the type of job you can take.

You cannot take a job in an industry that competes with your former employer or with another union company. Basically, that means no trucking or delivery jobs.

Prior to retirement you can fill out an application with the pension trust and they will verify whether or not you can take a certain job.

The only drivers that would take it are the ones that already planned on retiring in the next year or so...

I wouldn't give up an 80,000$ a year job for an insignificant, measly little payout.

Would you for an extra 200-300 a month in pension? An extra $200 a month would cost the company only $72,000 over 30 years. (Inflation adjusted may only cost the company $36,000 or less)

No restriction on hours, only on the type of job you can take.

You cannot take a job in an industry that competes with your former employer or with another union company. Basically, that means no trucking or delivery jobs.

Prior to retirement you can fill out an application with the pension trust and they will verify whether or not you can take a certain job.

Sober, this is from the Western Conference or Teamsters Pension Trust website.

Applicable Hours Limits

Under your Plan’s suspension of benefits rule, your pension benefits will be suspended if your hours of work in suspendible employment exceed certain hours limits. You will lose the right to receive your retirement benefit payment for any calendar month if the hours of suspendible employment you work (or are paid for) equal or exceed your applicable hours limit for that month. Your Plan counts hours that you actually work as well as hours for which you are paid (such as vacation, jury duty, sick leave or other paid hours). See below for the applicable hours limits rules.
If you are paid on a basis other than hours worked, such as mileage, your hours of suspendible employment are determined using the same formula that determines the number of hours for which your employer is required to make contributions to the Pension Trust. Contact your Area Administrative Office if you have questions regarding how the mileage rules apply.
A special rule applies if the Plan cannot determine how many hours of suspendible employment you actually worked in a month. Under that rule, the Plan considers that you worked in suspendible employment in excess of your hours limit for that month if:

• You receive pay for eight or more days (or separate work shifts) in that month, or
  • You receive pay for eight or more days (or separate work shifts) in any four-week or five-week payroll period ending within that month.
Applicable Hours Limits
Up to Age 60
If your reemployment occurs in a month that begins prior to or includes your 60th birthday, you will forfeit your monthly benefit if you work 50 or more hours of suspendible employment in that month.
Ages 60 to 65
If your reemployment occurs anywhere between the month following your 60th birthday and the month ending with your 65th birthday, you will forfeit your monthly benefit if you work 85 or more hours of suspendible employment in that month.
After Age 65
If your reemployment occurs in a month after your 65th birthday, you can work any number of hours and your benefits will not be suspended.

brownrod

Well said. I live my life as if there were no such thing as a pension or social security. I'm rich. Make over 80k per year. I can live off a minute portion of that. If I'm not ready for retirement when the time comes then I only have myself to blame.