Where is the Driver buyout?

SmithBarney

Why? Because the company can't run as efficiently with less drivers
but it can still run just fine without operations critical management.

browniehound

Start working in the hub at the age of 20...go driving 2 months after you turn 21...and you are out at 50 :happy-very:

Sounds great, but then what? 50 is too young to sit in a rocking chair all day. Can you work another job and still collect a pension? I think our local pension calls for no other job or limited hours until you reach 65.

I always dream of early retirement from UPS and then working on a golf course as a starter or greens-keeper. Its something I could do well into my 70's. Probably just a pipe dream though....

Central States when you have 30 years you get $3k per month, with 31...$3,100. and so on. My medical cost me $200 month and would be another $200 month for my wife. Retiring @22.3 (think that;s the number) reduced my "full" retirement between $1,100-$1,200 per month.

EmerCond421

I always dream of early retirement from UPS and then working on a golf course as a starter or greens-keeper. Its something I could do well into my 70's. Probably just a pipe dream though....

One of ours did exactly that. Retired w/30, moved and went to work at a course. Happy as a lark - last I heard.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sounds great, but then what? 50 is too young to sit in a rocking chair all day. Can you work another job and still collect a pension? I think our local pension calls for no other job or limited hours until you reach 65.

I can work any other job as long as its in a different industry. No limit on hours.

My dad retired a while back and did what you described-working as a golf course marshal. The job paid $12 an hour but for tax purposes he had them pay him the minimum wage+ all the free golf he wanted. He loved it.

lastoasis

watch

I always dream of early retirement from UPS and then working on a golf course as a starter or greens-keeper. Its something I could do well into my 70's. Probably just a pipe dream though....[/quote]

[video=youtube;LAblybiCtZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAblybiCtZc&feature=related[/video]

The key word here is "suspendible".

Most jobs are not considered "suspendible" and these restrictions therefore do not apply.

"Suspendible" refers to jobs in the industry you retired from, or for non-union companies that compete with your former employer or fellow contributors to the pension trust.

So you could work for UPS after 6 months or a year and become a SPA master as long as you work under 50 hours a month.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Steve,
Funny you should mention that. Even though my hubby retired as management, his first job at home was removing all things brown from his closet. He won't look twice at a beige sweater or brown anything. No brown pants either.

His dress shoes are cordovan(sp). He is sick of looking at brown for all those years......uniforms, package cars, etc. He's proud of his years there, just turned off when it comes to the color brown.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I remember the good ole days when you knew the spouse of your boss and another level up from them. When you felt like you were part of Jim Casey's family and you would be protected supported and nurtured. I feel bad for those who have never known those feelings.
lifer

those were the days when a good worker actually meant something, you were part of the ups team, just just a warm body to fill a position. during the downturns, they still tried to keep you working until things picked back up. no more.

i believe it began with the outlook towards the hourly, that "go ahead and quit, there are a ton of people that would love to have your job" mentality that has been used over and over again in the past, is now being used when looking at management positions.

one thing to keep in mind, there have been a ton of job losses in businesses where people felt 100% secure. much like a ups driver with 20 years seniority. and there are a lot of people willing to work for much less, and are more qualified for a lot of positions.

but with the economy the way it is, who knows.

d

island1fox

:sad-little:As a long time UPSer now retired --I find many of the posts on this tread very sad.
It should be obvious to all that this reduction of upper management is a real sign of only more trouble to come.
I know for a fact --you cannot believe the press release --to bring our people closer to the customers !!!!
This reduction is being made because cost per piece is rising much quicker than revenue per piece.
Ups at one time had over twelve regions and sixty districts. The business has become much more competitive and complex --even with technology --does anyone really believe this is a positive move ???
Look at will soon come in the future. The union continues to make salary and benefit demands, grieves every little thing demands further restrictions and penalties.
The only move UPS has left after cutting management to the bone is to serverly limit the discounts given to shippers. When the hourly cost is more than the revenue per piece--production and technology only goes so far .
UPS will soon be in position to only handle high revenue volume. This will mean huge volume diversions to other carriers such as non union FDX and the Post office. Massive job reductions are in the very near future if some attitudes do not change.
Instead of complaining about sales leads and over 9.5 --I would think this would cause all people to work a little harder ----but the reality is --they will not !!!

Driver buyout ???? Will never happen ----Massive layoffs that will shock --probably.
From 46 districts to 20 was a shock ----65,000 drivers to 25,000 --who will be shocked ??
I believe unless the Union gets alot smarter ---well enough said !!!:sad-little:

lastoasis

:sad-little:As a long time UPSer now retired --I find many of the posts on this tread very sad.
It should be obvious to all that this reduction of upper management is a real sign of only more trouble to come.
I know for a fact --you cannot believe the press release --to bring our people closer to the customers !!!!
This reduction is being made because cost per piece is rising much quicker than revenue per piece.
Ups at one time had over twelve regions and sixty districts. The business has become much more competitive and complex --even with technology --does anyone really believe this is a positive move ???
Look at will soon come in the future. The union continues to make salary and benefit demands, grieves every little thing demands further restrictions and penalties.
The only move UPS has left after cutting management to the bone is to serverly limit the discounts given to shippers. When the hourly cost is more than the revenue per piece--production and technology only goes so far .
UPS will soon be in position to only handle high revenue volume. This will mean huge volume diversions to other carriers such as non union FDX and the Post office. Massive job reductions are in the very near future if some attitudes do not change.
Instead of complaining about sales leads and over 9.5 --I would think this would cause all people to work a little harder ----but the reality is --they will not !!!

Driver buyout ???? Will never happen ----Massive layoffs that will shock --probably.
From 46 districts to 20 was a shock ----65,000 drivers to 25,000 --who will be shocked ??
I believe unless the Union gets alot smarter ---well enough said !!!:sad-little:

Worried about yer stock ?

island1fox

Worried about yer stock ?

Lastoasis,
The stock is the last thing on my mind ----retired over five years --payed off house,cars,boat,hypo --very diversified portfolio --stocks, bonds, real estate etc.
But I do feel for UPS people --ALL of them . Management and Hourly.
Ups was tough to work for but provided me not only opportunity--but now a great worry free retirement.
I am sure that if this latest news does not give everyone pause ---alot more people will be hurt --I truly hope that will not happen !!!:anxious:

purplesky

ITS THE ECONOMY STUPID! All these management jobs are not needed anymore. If you eliminate thousands of driver jobs than who will deliver all the packages? DUH! The post office wont even be around in 10 or 15 years and FDX ground still sucks. The union is working very hard to pay for your retirement so dont be sad be glad for the TEAMSTERS. ISLANDFOX THE UNION IS ALL YOU HAVE!

D

Dis-organized Labor

I know a bunch of airline guys that retired and now work for other airlines.
I can see staying busy, but I can't taking a pay cut to go to another company friend/T.
UPS may seem bad at times, but you would not believe what goes on in airline business. At least at UPS all kinds of training.

island1fox

ITS THE ECONOMY STUPID! All these management jobs are not needed anymore. If you eliminate thousands of driver jobs than who will deliver all the packages? DUH! The post office wont even be around in 10 or 15 years and FDX ground still sucks. The union is working very hard to pay for your retirement so dont be sad be glad for the TEAMSTERS. ISLANDFOX THE UNION IS ALL YOU HAVE!

Purp,
I should not even dignify your very uneducated childish response to a simple business equasion.
I am sure there are many , many members of BC that can see my point.
Ups is in the process of forming 20 Profit centers ---that means they will have to be profitable.:wink2:
To pay drivers in the area of 50 bucks an hour with o/t and benefits to deliver a one pound package on a rural route will not be feasable.
Very simply ---UPS hourly cost --very high ---Revenue per piece must be higher.
I realize that this is way over your intelligence level.
I am not attacking the company nor the union --just stating the hard reality. The Economy has nothing to do with it .
P.S.
Try to grow up --take a little emotion out of your posts --they then may make sense.
What in the world do I need the Teamster Union for ?????
This does not even make me laugh --it makes me sad --for you !!!:dissapointed:

The union doesn't pay for anything.

SmithBarney

Purp,

To pay drivers in the area of 50 bucks an hour with o/t and benefits to deliver a one pound package on a rural route will not be feasable.
:
Don't forget to factor in the cost of management.. thus the reasoning behind
cutting them first, not nearly as essential as drivers.
Cut the dead weight, Profit per piece goes up!

purplesky

Purp,
I should not even dignify your very uneducated childish response to a simple business equasion.
I am sure there are many , many members of BC that can see my point.
Ups is in the process of forming 20 Profit centers ---that means they will have to be profitable.:wink2:
I realize that this is way over your intelligence level.
I am not attacking the company nor the union --just stating the hard reality. The Economy has nothing to do with it .
P.S.
Try to grow up --take a little emotion out of your posts --they then may make sense.
What in the world do I need the Teamster Union for ?????
This does not even make me laugh --it makes me sad --for you !!!:dissapointed:

Islandfox,
How can you say the economy has nothing to do with it. We are in a major recession and the economy has been shrinking and obviously effecting the volume at UPS and FDX. Thats fact not emotion. UPS has and always will say they cant afford to pay the union. I guess my sarcasm went over your head! Dont worry the Teamsters will help keep the lights on at UPS and help continue your old employer to produce billions in profits so you can enjoy your retirement checks. Its a team effort. There is no emotion here my friend so dont be sad.:wink2: ITS FUNNY EVEN BACK IN THE 80s YOU WERE PROBABLY SAYING OH NO WE CANT PAY THE UNION BECAUSE WE HAVE TO GROW THE BUSINESS. ITS THE SAME OLD SONG.

SWORDFISH

I can't see why anyone who is still able to perform the work would retire in this economy unless their spouse made a really good salary with benefits. I wouldn't even ponder it.

Depends on if your a spender or a saver. I would retire in a heart beat for that. $40k a year to do whatever you want now thats living the dream.