White Guilt - Getting Beyond Race

bbsam

Staff member
I don’t view people by the color of their skin. Could care less if you are a minority ethnicity.

I counter act my white guilt with my homo card. I don’t feel entitled to any “privledges” only my rights.
Lol. You should have seen the faces of all the white parents of the girls I dated over the years when I first met them. They all see color. That’s not a condemnation. Just how it is.

El Correcto

god is dead
Lol. You should have seen the faces of all the white parents of the girls I dated over the years when I first met them. They all see color. That’s not a condemnation. Just how it is.
Well did you look like a thug? Were you well spoken and dressed appropriately for meeting your significant others parents?

Not proclaiming instantly your race didn’t play a part, but living up to those stereotypes even on a superficial appearance level will not do you any favors.

I work with a lot of black men who carry themselves with self respect and don’t live up to those stereotypes. Don’t let black culture define them as individuals.

If you met me you’d never believe I was gay.

BrownArmy

Well did you look like a thug? Were you well spoken and dressed appropriately for meeting your significant others parents?

Not proclaiming instantly your race didn’t play a part, but living up to those stereotypes even on a superficial appearance level will not do you any favors.

I work with a lot of black men who carry themselves with self respect and don’t live up to those stereotypes. Don’t let black culture define them as individuals.

That’s problematic.

You’re making several assumptions, first of which is that Sam, as a black man, needed to dress ‘white’ to be taken seriously.

I dated a Dutch Reformed girl in college, she coached me when I first met her parents, ‘Tell them you’re still in school, don’t mention the band you’re in, don’t show your tatoos, don’t talk politics’...

I went along, the sex was off the charts, but I traded in some respect in the process.

I was 19, I forgive my younger self.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAKAVELI

What's black culture?

El Correcto

god is dead
That’s problematic.

You’re making several assumptions, first of which is that Sam, as a black man, needed to dress ‘white’ to be taken seriously.

I dated a Dutch Reformed girl in college, she coached me when I first met her parents, ‘Tell them you’re still in school, don’t mention the band you’re in, don’t show your tatoos, don’t talk politics’...

I went along, the sex was off the charts, but I traded in some respect in the process.

I was 19, I forgive my younger self.

Since you’re a gay lad, I’m surprised at your intolerance.
I didn’t say dress white, if you show up dressed like a jack ass with your pants two sizes too big and a large t shirt of a gangster Benjamin Franklin I’d be hesitant to let you in my house forget about the daughter.

I’m not intolerant of race or sexuality. I’m intolerant of people who expect to be respected. If I showed up in hot pink short shorts and a cum dumpster shirt lisping through my speech and saying “Yaaaass Queen” I’d expect to be ridiculed and laughed at not respected.

bbsam

Staff member

I wore what all college students at the time were wearing. Gap. Chess King. Some OP. Button flys. Cardigans had made a comeback.

I probably would believe you are gay.

bbsam

Staff member
Then yes they were probably bigoted.
Honestly, most of them probably had no clue. I went to a small private liberal arts college so the parents were generally liberal. It’s just “different” when “Look who’s coming to dinner “ isn’t the film being critiqued at the country club.

MAKAVELI

Look at your avatar and name.

Is that not a major part of and defining aspect of black culture since the 80s. Thug mentality.
That's not black culture. Tupac was merely a voice for a segment that wanted to be heard. Not that a gay person would understand if that. But try if you may.

El Correcto

god is dead
You have a very narrow exposure to black culture.
There is more to black culture than that for sure, but when speaking of it in a negative light I go to the negative things about it. Denying rap and thug mentality as part of black culture is dishonest and saying it’s not a defining aspect of the culture is dishonest.

I said I know plenty of black men who don’t live up to those stereotypes.

It’s the same if I start speaking about the rednecks waving their rebel flags when referring to white culture or crying about monuments of racist people being torn down.