Who else has no problem with a strike?

siouxman

siouxman
$3400 a month for 30 years.
$650 a month for 20 years.

If we're talking about what the fund is capable of paying, it doesn't seem like early retirements are the problem.
If u have a bunch of guys in their mid to late fifties they could live for 30 more years and the pension fund can't afford it. Now it's water under the bridge with some funds broke . I beleive there used to be 3 people working for everyone retiring.Now it's the opposite

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If u have a bunch of guys in their mid to late fifties they could live for 30 more years and the pension fund can't afford it. Now it's water under the bridge with some funds broke . I beleive there used to be 3 people working for everyone retiring.Now it's the opposite
Sounds like pensions don't work.

Snack

If you're a low-seniority driver, a strike should be the last thing you want. It will take years to regain the lost business/volume that a strike would produce. Lots of folks could be laid off.

We shouldn't be so gung-ho about cooking the golden goose.

JustDeliverIt

If you're a low-seniority driver, a strike should be the last thing you want. It will take years to regain the lost business/volume that a strike would produce. Lots of folks could be laid off.

A strike should be the last thing anyone wants, but be prepared for it if it necessary. I don't want a strike at all, but if the contract is not to the majority of the members liking then I am ready to do what we have to do.

WTFm8

Idk, FedEx hub is 5 miles from me and I constantly have packages delayed a day... and when they come, they’re ~5 steps short of the porch half the time.

I honestly don’t think they’re as prepared for more volume as they’d like to have the public think... kind of like UPS bragging about Orion.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It will take years to regain the lost business/volume that a strike would produce.

This is an argument for why UPS shouldn't make such a bad offer that the union is forced to strike. UPS is in the process of a $20 billion infrastucture upgrade planned out over the next 5 years. They are trying to make the employees pay for a portion of it by shorting part timers and creating 22.4.

We are not going to cause UPS to go broke because we demand a better offer. They may have to stretch out their upgrades a little further, or cut back on dividends some, but I don't think we're so far away from each other that a strike will be necessary. Now, as far as why the union leadership is trying to use the possibility of a strike to scare us into voting yes, that's anyone's guess. I have two possibilities in mind, though...

Thead Shi

Could care less if we strike. Bring it on. Didn’t get a ballot anyways sooooo someone planning on voting yes punch yourself in the dick instead and vote no for me.

Blackstream

It's out of our hands after the vote is done.The union can call a strike at any time.It may be remote it happens but I never thought trump would get elected either
Sure, the union is allowed to call for a strike without bringing it back to a vote. But the current union is fighting so hard for a yes vote right now and telling us how great the contract is, for them to respond to a No vote by immediately calling a strike right before peak would be completely out of left field. The only way I could see that happening is if they hated this contract all along and was secretly behind the vote no movement, but publically they had to fight for this contract. And even then I'm pretty sure they would try and renegotiate before calling for a strike.

Everyone should still be prepared for a strike just in case, whether they're voting yes or no, but there's just no way this union calls for a strike without being forced to. Most likely they'll be looking for loopholes just like last time to force the contract through on the locals holding out.

Thead Shi

To get a yes vote out of me you need to change progression from 4 to 2 years (would do 3 with bigger pay increases, not 50% 1 year, 55% 2 year, 65% 3 year, then top) for drivers, 14 an hour part time or 16 starting if refusing benefits (college kids under 25 are covered under parents and most don’t need dual coverage) and catchup pay for existing part timers, hybrid drivers who are part timers that want to be drivers but no positions for full routes... I can see them justifying paying them 5 dollars less an hour if they preload half the day then drive the other half when needed and CHOOSE to do weekends if full timers don’t want the OT. OOOO and better harassment language and management cant spam daily messages on diads about reminders of when commit times are asking when the friend we will be back to the center... ILL GET BACK AFTER MY LAST STOP AND ASK FOR HELP IF I NEED IT!!

Froome

I don't see a strike either. If the contract fails to pass, they will go back to the table and after peak something will get hashed out. UPS is not going to let anything interupt peak volume. As Blackstream stated the union is behind this contract too. For the union to call a strike would seem crazy without negotiating first. No one wants a strike, but you have to stand your ground.