Who else has no problem with a strike?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Sure, the union is allowed to call for a strike without bringing it back to a vote. But the current union is fighting so hard for a yes vote right now and telling us how great the contract is, for them to respond to a No vote by immediately calling a strike right before peak would be completely out of left field. The only way I could see that happening is if they hated this contract all along and was secretly behind the vote no movement, but publically they had to fight for this contract. And even then I'm pretty sure they would try and renegotiate before calling for a strike.

Everyone should still be prepared for a strike just in case, whether they're voting yes or no, but there's just no way this union calls for a strike without being forced to. Most likely they'll be looking for loopholes just like last time to force the contract through on the locals holding out.

That was one idea I was entertaining as a means of giving the union the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people expressed their extreme disbelief in the idea. I don't think it's impossible.

Thead Shi

That was one idea I was entertaining as a means of giving the union the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people expressed their extreme disbelief in the idea. I don't think it's impossible.
I think it depends how close the vote is. If its 51% no then nah they will drag it out until after peak when ups isn’t vulnerable... but if its 70% or higher then I think the union would reconsider tactics. We pay their wages after all...

siouxman

siouxman
To get a yes vote out of me you need to change progression from 4 to 2 years (would do 3 with bigger pay increases, not 50% 1 year, 55% 2 year, 65% 3 year, then top) for drivers, 14 an hour part time or 16 starting if refusing benefits (college kids under 25 are covered under parents and most don’t need dual coverage) and catchup pay for existing part timers, hybrid drivers who are part timers that want to be drivers but no positions for full routes... I can see them justifying paying them 5 dollars less an hour if they preload half the day then drive the other half when needed and CHOOSE to do weekends if full timers don’t want the OT. OOOO and better harassment language and management cant spam daily messages on diads about reminders of when commit times are asking when the friend we will be back to the center... ILL GET BACK AFTER MY LAST STOP AND ASK FOR HELP IF I NEED IT!!
Sounds great but your proposal is a little more than tweaking.

siouxman

siouxman
I think it depends how close the vote is. If its 51% no then nah they will drag it out until after peak when ups isn’t vulnerable... but if its 70% or higher then I think the union would reconsider tactics. We pay their wages after all...
I don't think we will get 50 percent of members to vote.