Whoever you are....you are piece of trash.

Big Rigger

You gave a way more fair response than this deserved. I’m just being a dick lol
Your points are valid. I don't see it as "being a dick". But what I have seen over the many years I drove commercially that people die because of bad choices behind the wheel.

Killing or injuring another person while driving is something that far transcends being discharged. The look on a mother's face as her child is run over by a vehicle... especially a UPS truck...will never leave your memory.

I hope the driver isn't discharged for good if this isn't a repetitive issue but if it is the whole building and the folks reading this thread need to see that there are much worse things in life than losing your job.

Watching the casket being lowered into the ground is sobering and especially if your actions are the cause of death.

Before I worked at UPS I had a family member run over and almost killed by a UPS vehicle at an intersection and it was the UPS drivers fault. When you see it with your own eyes it brings hate for a company that pushes their employees to the Nth degree.

Only you can prevent truly avoidable accidents and some you just can't fix.

Last edited:

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Your points are valid. I don't see it "as being a dick". But what I have seen over the many years I drove commercially that people die because of bad choices behind the wheel.

Killing or injuring another person while driving is something that far transcends being discharged. The look on a mother's face as her child is run over by a vehicle... especially a UPS truck...will never leave your memory.

I hope the driver isn't discharged for good if this isn't a repetitive issue but if it is the whole building and the folks reading this thread need to see that there are much worse things in life than losing your job.
Yes. We are professional drivers. No matter what pressure is on you to “produce”, safety is first and is ultimately your responsibility.

Having said that, UPS puts intense pressure on some drivers that results in shortcuts being taken both in service and in safety.

I don’t know what going through this driver’s mind at that moment, but I’d guess he was feeling under the gun. But it’s equally as likely he’s an idiot. I work with more than a few.

Big Rigger

Yes. We are professional drivers. No matter what pressure is on you to “produce”, safety is first and is ultimately your responsibility.

Having said that, UPS puts intense pressure on some drivers that results in shortcuts being taken both in service and in safety.

I don’t know what going through this driver’s mind at that moment, but I’d guess he was feeling under the gun. But it’s equally as likely he’s an idiot. I work with more than a few.
When "expect the unexpected" isn't forefront in your mind, especially after working in 90- 100° heat index weather all day and 180+ stops expected in 9 hrs, it's a recipe for disaster.

Remember the "driver drill" when on a safety ride? We all hated it because it was a distraction and afterwards we went back to whatever repetitive habits we used while driving but the main idea that drill instilled was (for me) about awareness of surroundings.

Having earbuds in use in both ears while driving is just one more variable to block out things going on and if you can't see a freaking yellow school bus parked up ahead and think "kids" then there's a mental disconnect and/or a poorly trained...and monitored... commercial driver.

Once we descend into the Amazon and FDX level of professionalism and safety then we become just a high priced carrier.

Last edited:

moldsporh

I may be paranoid but when I see a school bus I immediately think "kids".
Same here. I know exactly how I would have handled that situation.

My comments were also on the legalities of the incident.

The UPS driver in that video doesn't get disciplined, prosecuted based on our comments. I was speaking somewhat from a litigators standpoint.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Whenever I was driving and I saw a school bus stopped, I assumed some kids were getting off and could step in front of me. Children that young can't be expected to be that cautious stepping out into traffic, especially when the front of the bus is blocking the view to their left. It didn't matter if the lights were flashing and the stop sign was extended out. From the video, I will give the driver credit for stopping at the last split second. But he was going too fast when he was passing the stopped bus, he was lucky to stop in time. The fact that he had two earbuds in his ears is a big mistake, he isn't entirely focused on his surroundings. I was always courteous to school bus drivers, especially at intersections. I would stay back from stop signs when we approached intersections at the same time and leave them plenty of room to turn in front of me. After a while, most of the drivers would appreciate that and wave me by first and let me get out of the area before they opened the door.

Big Rigger

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is witnessing the years of change in management quality when it comes to driver supervisors. I remember the years when the on road supes knew the routes and pickups. They actually drove for several years prior to going into management so they knew the pitfalls of the job better than the 30 day wonders we get now that use the supervisors code 02 in their diad instead of 05 or 06 so it shows flat scratch on the driver recap sheet.

The GPS may show the location of the stop but it doesn't tell a driver how to protect the public on the way. The liability may be first on the driver after an avoidable accident but the whole company suffers for it including the drivers who try their best to be a proud and safe UPS driver because the legacy still stands...for now.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Same here. I know exactly how I would have handled that situation.

My comments were also on the legalities of the incident.

The UPS driver in that video doesn't get disciplined, prosecuted based on our comments. I was speaking somewhat from a litigators standpoint.
Yeah!

Throw the book at em!

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
The driver blew through a stop sign. Obviously a runner trying to make ridiculous production numbers. I try to have meetings with the rookies a couple times a year to get them to drive safer and don't fall into the production numbers game. Management always looks the other way until something goes wrong. How many times have any of you ever heard management tell a driver to slow down? It's in plain sight on telematics.
If its who I think it is then management had been covering for this guy for a long time because he is the union steward that gives them whatever they want. If it is him then couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. He's had more incidents than just this.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I'm sure I'm not the only person who is witnessing the years of change in management quality when it comes to driver supervisors. I remember the years when the on road supes knew the routes and pickups. They actually drove for several years prior to going into management so they knew the pitfalls of the job better than the 30 day wonders we get now that use the supervisors code 02 in their diad instead of 05 or 06 so it shows flat scratch on the driver recap sheet.

The GPS may show the location of the stop but it doesn't tell a driver how to protect the public on the way. The liability may be first on the driver after an avoidable accident but the whole company suffers for it including the drivers who try their best to be a proud and safe UPS driver because the legacy still stands...for now.
Amen brother, 30 years ago most if not all the on car supes were former drivers, some sucked but I had one who not only trained me right but gave me tips, driver to driver. How to make my day easier, not to run, how to drive safely but still make time etc. Guy could be a prick at times but I knew he had my back. Now you can’t turn your back on them cause they’ll stab you in it.

freehoodies

In the surveillance video, you can hear Kelley Beal screaming "stop" as the UPS truck starts going around the school bus.

Driver from my center. Haven't found out who yet but I hope you loose everything. Retirement, pension and all. You bring shame to what we do and 3 kids almost lost their lives due to your carelessness.
I remember clear as day being told multiple times as a child not to cross in front of the bus, and to look both ways before crossing the street.

Doesn’t take away from the driver being careless, if you see a school bus pulled over without lights, you drive at 0.5 mph while honking the horn till you are past it.

Or just stop behind it, if its actually broken down thats ez money right there. Time to fix all the chaos your preloader stuck you with

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
I guess if you are going to get fired might as well do it in a way that everyone in the company hears about it.
Honestly I'm shocked he hasn't hurt anyone by now. I know management is sad to see him go because he wouldn't push back on anything union wise. Shouldn't have been allowed to continue driving after his brain injury became apparent with how bad it was.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Late to the party and I’m not reading 7 pages of the same regurgitated crap. Bottom line is, never pass a bus with either the arms out or red flashers. Yellow flashers ok to pass but be aware they are about to stop. Playing devils advocate, lights weren’t working and arms not out. Pass at a SNAILS pace. Especially in a residential neighborhood.
Helping

nWo

This is going to be on Good Morning America... So be prepared to be asked about nationwide.

I mean the mother in the video has done a pre-interview with Good Morning America. Maybe they will air her story but maybe they won't.