Who's the idiot at UPS who came up with the stretching techniques?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
LOL

"Your current limit of flexibility is a self-imposed point. When unconscious, we are all capable of full splits, yet when awake our bodies sense impending danger to the muscles lengthening beyond this preconceived point and begin to tense up to prevent injury. That stiffness you feel when you stretch is all in your head and totally created by you. At extreme ranges the opposite will happen and the muscles will go completely slack. This action – the removal of all tension – is to allow the muscle to be as loose as possible and avoid further injury."

Funniest part of your link. Totally not true.

Lol says you and your PHD Huh. Yeah ok.

This is new research. Like in the last year new but it's ok. You KNOW everything.

Rover

The soreness that you feel after a workout is due to the building up of certain chemicals and gasses that are produced as your muscles work. It is not in your head.

Brownslave688

The soreness that you feel after a workout is due to the building up of certain chemicals and gasses that are produced as your muscles work. It is not in your head.
While muscle pain from training and muscle pain from stretching are two completely different things I'll let you slide.

Brownslave688

Once you've been there you will find out differently. Life lessons teach you more than any book. Physical changes on your body over a period of years, including injuries, alter abilities like the ability to stretch and move like you used to.
The mind is a very powerful thing. Yes your mind limits your ability to stretch but only because it has learned that.

Being less mobile is a very real thing as one ages but it's not because your muscles get "tighter" it's all what the brain tells the body.

watdaflock?

Lol says you and your PHD Huh. Yeah ok.

This is new research. Like in the last year new but it's ok. You KNOW everything.

lol. I don't have a PHD obviously or I would not be here. I have although read books on the subject and taken classes taught by people with Masters and PHD's. You go ahead and keep believing your blog.

Like I said a bit ago - everything on the internet must be true. Bring me some hard medical facts on the subject and not this made up crap you linked and we can talk.

watdaflock?

"Stretch receptors have two parts: Spindle cells and Golgi tendons. Spindle cells, located in the center of a muscle, send messages for the muscle to contract. On the other hand, Golgi tendon receptors are located near the end of a muscle fiber and send messages for the muscle to relax. As these receptors are trained through continual use, stretching becomes easier. When reflexes that inhibit flexibility are released the splits then become easier to perform. The splits use the body's complete range of motion and provide a complete stretch."

I bolded this part above because it's the only fact comparable to what your blog mentions. Through constant repetitive stretching and exercise over a long period of time stretching becomes easier.
"That stiffness you feel when you stretch is all in your head and totally created by you." is wrong.
Your muscles length and elasticity can change over time with training but to say something like "it's all in your head" as if you can snap your fingers and suddenly become as flexible as when born is stupid.

MendozaJ

A proper back stretch requires you to be on your back.

If you're "stretching" to "decompress" your spine, it should be more accurately called squishing. To call a back stretching technique that isolates zero back muscles a stretch is, well, a stretch.

Muscle loses elasticity with age. That's why we get wrinkles.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The bottom line is, the PCM stretches are less about keeping you healthy and limber, but more about UPS exerting it's control over you, your body and mind. It's all about controlling and shaping you. :P

oldngray

nowhere special
As you get older your back loses flexibility. The disks are like shock absorbers and they get stiffer with age so cushion your spine less. No amount of exercise or stretching will change that. You can try to reduce the effects of aging and years of wear and tear but it is impossible to eliminate.

Brownslave688

"Stretch receptors have two parts: Spindle cells and Golgi tendons. Spindle cells, located in the center of a muscle, send messages for the muscle to contract. On the other hand, Golgi tendon receptors are located near the end of a muscle fiber and send messages for the muscle to relax. As these receptors are trained through continual use, stretching becomes easier. When reflexes that inhibit flexibility are released the splits then become easier to perform. The splits use the body's complete range of motion and provide a complete stretch."

I bolded this part above because it's the only fact comparable to what your blog mentions. Through constant repetitive stretching and exercise over a long period of time stretching becomes easier.
"That stiffness you feel when you stretch is all in your head and totally created by you." is wrong.
Your muscles length and elasticity can change over time with training but to say something like "it's all in your head" as if you can snap your fingers and suddenly become as flexible as when born is stupid.
Like I said the brain is very very powerful. It keeps you from going farther though not muscle plasticity. There's still research ongoing but the idea of muscle plasticity has all but been ruled out at this point.
https://www.painscience.com/bibliography.php?kon2
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9564710/?i=5&from=/24856792/related

Brownslave688

A proper back stretch requires you to be on your back.

If you're "stretching" to "decompress" your spine, it should be more accurately called squishing. To call a back stretching technique that isolates zero back muscles a stretch is, well, a stretch.

Muscle loses elasticity with age. That's why we get wrinkles.
Uh your skin gets thinner and less elastic. That's the reason for wrinkles.

watdaflock?

Like I said the brain is very very powerful. It keeps you from going farther though not muscle plasticity. There's still research ongoing but the idea of muscle plasticity has all but been ruled out at this point.
https://www.painscience.com/bibliography.php?kon2
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9564710/?i=5&from=/24856792/related

Your painscience link has nothing to do with the brain being very powerful. Did you even read it?
"Therefore, the purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of a six-week static stretching training program"

Second ncbi link "This article reviews recent findings regarding passive properties of the hamstring muscle group during stretch based on a model that was developed which could synchronously and continuously measure passive hamstring resistance and electromyographic activity, while the velocity and angle of stretch was controlled."

Once again nothing to do with brain power and stretching. Plus, this was obviously something you Googled and are now attempting to relate it with your gibberish.