Why are you personally against UPS installing AC in all delivery vehicle? (On Topic Only)

specter208

Increased fuel consumption with AC and would rob you of power. Made even worse with the crappy tune the new freightliners come with.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have no dog in this fight but speaking from experience, A/C wouldn’t do you guys a lot of good. You are generally in and out of your trucks too often. My first ten years at FedEx Express we had no A/C, just a fan blowing around the hot air. After getting AC in a 700, I realized that the only time it really helped was going out to my route and back. The package cars aren’t insulated so as soon as you open the doors, out goes the cold air, and because they're not insulated, cooling down the cab is not instantaneous.

I think the younger people need to pay closer attention to their health. Monsters, Red Bull, and all the other energy drinks are not healthy and contain caffeine which increase blood pressure and heart rate. It’s horrible for anyone to die from heat, but there has to be some personable responsibility. Drivers have been working in the heat for many years, even wearing pants, and have managed to survive. I get that the young’s guys are being worked like mules, but they HAVE to be smart about working in the heat.

I have no dog in this fight but speaking from experience, A/C wouldn’t do you guys a lot of good. You are generally in and out of your trucks too often. My first ten years at FedEx Express we had no A/C, just a fan blowing around the hot air. After getting AC in a 700, I realized that the only time it really helped was going out to my route and back. The package cars aren’t insulated so as soon as you open the doors, out goes the cold air, and because they're not insulated, cooling down the cab is not instantaneous.

I think the younger people need to pay closer attention to their health. Monsters, Red Bull, and all the other energy drinks are not healthy and contain caffeine which increase blood pressure and heart rate. It’s horrible for anyone to die from heat, but there has to be some personable responsibility. Drivers have been working in the heat for many years, even wearing pants, and have managed to survive. I get that the young’s guys are being worked like mules, but they HAVE to be smart about working in the heat.
Better ventilation in the back of the cargo area would be a much bigger help

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
1657387883011.jpeg

🧔‍♂️✊

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
It would not be practical to add it to old trucks, it could only work for new trucks. As far as the back is concerned, the a/c would not be able to keep up with the heat in the back. Yes, there are systems available that can do it but not the type you see in the Amazon P1000s

As far as the mechanic not fixing it. Most of them would just shoot it with refrigerant rather than find the leak. Most UPS shops are over capacity both in the amount of mechanics and the facility itself, so proper diagnosis would probably get pushed off

With that said, all the a/c works on our feeder trucks at my hub.

Last edited:

Commercial Inside Release

Can't wait! The real reason for yanking perfectly good AC systems out of tractor & shifters, is to limit the fighting over who gets to drive what. Package car drivers will be worse.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

AC is pointless. The car is never on long enough to make the air cold. As soon as you open the door you’d lose what cold are you had. The cars aren’t weather proofed or insulated it would suck right out of the gaps between the doors. Mechanics would never be able to fix them. I will say the vans and box trucks should have ac. The airflow in those ram vans are terrible with the windows down and in my building they’re mostly used to run misloads or deliver distant air so you’re stuck inside them most of the time. I’d rather have the money spent retrofitting the cars to better ventilate the back, install fans and better load quality so we’re back there less. An ice and cold water machine would be nice too, all we get is 50 cases of hot water dropped off infront of the offices. Our ice machine is constantly broken and they never change out the filter so it’s filthy water you wouldn’t want to drink anyways.

HavenoEDD

The secret is that the front of the package car isn’t where the issue is…AC does nothing when your then having to expend energy opening and closing the heavy door 400 times a day.
It’s the package area where some will spend too long looking for packages, get hot, stressed and struggle as the day goes on.

Company has to do something…and I’m all for installing vents (like the kick vents) or a roof vent to get the heat out but the deeper issue is drivers getting smart about taking breaks in the heat, knowing where to park and how to hydrate.

Management could learn to get drivers punched in sooner to get through their trucks to ensure they are prepped for the day, no misloads, shelves done and they have everything they need…instead of being rushed out of the building 2 seconds after the PCM.

I don’t mind the sweat but I don’t let management tell me how fast I I’ve to go and that’s for another topic…a lot to be learned about this…rookies!