Why can't we all just get along?

Gazelle

Race me!
I've been with UPS for 7 years, 6 in the union, and 1 in management. For the 6 years I worked the preload, I did almost every job in the building. When I was switching over many people told me I was stupid, and that I should stay in the union. I have 1 year left of my bachelors degree, and my concentration is global supply chain/operations management. I chose to go into management to gain experience in my field. I did what was best for me.

Seeing both sides of the coin here... why do we waste so much time hating the other side? If I have learned anything from this company, we are just all just fish in a bowl swimming around. I refuse to let this company get under my skin.:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds as though you are minoring in Common Sense.

Good luck to you with your degree. My son graduates in December in the same degree program and has already been networking with professionals in the field. Do you plan on staying with UPS and transferring to SCS?

As to your question as to why there is so much hating? This is a question that cannot be answered in a single post or thread.

Gazelle

Race me!

Good luck to you with your degree. My son graduates in December in the same degree program and has already been networking with professionals in the field. Do you plan on staying with UPS and transferring to SCS?

As to your question as to why there is so much hating? This is a question that cannot be answered in a single post or thread.

I plan on looking elsewhere for a FT job, but if the opportunity arises I will stay with UPS

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seeing both sides of the coin here... why do we waste so much time hating the other side? If I have learned anything from this company, we are just all just fish in a bowl swimming around. I refuse to let this company get under my skin.:happy-very:

Totally agree.
We are all just employees of the same large corporation.

You will find that as you go through life that your ability to distance yourself from your personal position and see the big picture is a rare ability.

People will tell you that you don't care, that you are not loyal, that you don't toe-the line, etc.

Indecisi0n

The sense of entitlement and unwillingness to see beyond the black and white of the contract among some of the hourlies doesn't help.

The same goes for management. They strike down on us for the smallest infraction but when management needs "a favor" which normally means bending the rules they get mad when we say no. Works both ways.

Gazelle

Race me!
The same goes for management. They strike down on us for the smallest infraction but when management needs "a favor" which normally means bending the rules they get mad when we say no. Works both ways.

Define this "favor" that bend the rules... I wouldn't ever ask anyone of my employees to do something they shouldn't be doing.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Most mangers don't understand you earn respect and that trying to demand it just makes things even worse for them.

By taking a job, one agrees to respect the position.
Respect for the individual is earned.

If one cannot respect the position, then they have a problem and a rather serious one.
Having no or little respect for a person in a position is fine and a very common occurrence.

Indecisi0n

Define this "favor" that bend the rules... I wouldn't ever ask anyone of my employees to do something they shouldn't be doing.

Our drivers are asked on a daily basis to skip our lunches to get our businesses done because they were over dispatched.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Yes it does ... most management learns this over time.

It is a two-way street.

I hate the "other side" because here in the south east they are VERY spitefull. I am a mechanic, I had a day job working 9am to 6pm. I had gotten hurt and needed knee surgery, now on the next bid sheet they washed my day job and put it on nights M-T 7pm-4am and Friday 8pm-5am. Then they wonder why the attitude sucks. Attitude reflects leadership, you suck at managing the attitude suck. Also to save money they put people in management who have NEVER been a mechanic. My supervisor now used to be a carpenter, the guy before him owned a pizzeria (which went belly up). I mean how am I supposed to do my job when I have someone who's NEVER done it telling me what to do, and when you do what they say and it fails the response you get is " I don't recall telling you to do that" This is so not the company I started with 22 years ago.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is so not the company I started with 22 years ago.

No szitzz Leroy!

UPS does not really emphasize or even care about leadership much anymore.

The management pay benefits and other compensation have been reduced so much over the last decade that you are not going to get top quality people anymore.

How about you, you could do the right thing and take the next management position when it comes open.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hate the "other side" because here in the south east they are VERY spitefull. I am a mechanic, I had a day job working 9am to 6pm. I had gotten hurt and needed knee surgery, now on the next bid sheet they washed my day job and put it on nights M-T 7pm-4am and Friday 8pm-5am. Then they wonder why the attitude sucks. Attitude reflects leadership, you suck at managing the attitude suck. Also to save money they put people in management who have NEVER been a mechanic. My supervisor now used to be a carpenter, the guy before him owned a pizzeria (which went belly up). I mean how am I supposed to do my job when I have someone who's NEVER done it telling me what to do, and when you do what they say and it fails the response you get is " I don't recall telling you to do that" This is so not the company I started with 22 years ago.

You don't have to know how to do the job to supervise it. When I was in the military one of my jobs was supervising vehicle maintenance. I had no idea how to maintain any of the vehicles assigned to my unit but I knew how to supervise people who did and the job got done.

"Attitude reflects leadership"--did you just watch "Remember the Titans"?

As far as your job goes, yeah, it sucks that they changed it to nights, but they could have eliminated it altogether, so it could be worse.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I can do it in one post !!

17 years in the company
3 years part time preload - 2 1/2 years part time preload sup - 12 years Full time driver

The first 14 years of my career I was considered the best by my superiors. I worked hard and worked fast. Got the job done and got it done right. Never seen the inside of my center manager's office !!!

Then telematics showed up and all of a sudden I was least best. Warning letters filling up folders. I've been in his office more times for the stupidest bull*****. He ended up giving me a warning letter for missing work because I got supeona'd for a court case by the State of Connecticut because I was a witness on a police report. ( BTW was illegal to be reprimanded for)

All this negativity in me about UPS has only been developed in the last 3 years. Now I just work to keep the target off my back, not to be the best driver possible ! This is our new UPS and I'll have to just deal with it til I retire !!!!!!

Gazelle

Race me!
Also to save money they put people in management who have NEVER been a mechanic. My supervisor now used to be a carpenter, the guy before him owned a pizzeria (which went belly up). I mean how am I supposed to do my job when I have someone who's NEVER done it telling me what to do, and when you do what they say and it fails the response you get is " I don't recall telling you to do that" This is so not the company I started with 22 years ago.

Did you ever even give him a chance? If he had lied to you and told you he was a mechanic, would you have respected him?

The Milkman

I've been with UPS for 7 years, 6 in the union, and 1 in management. For the 6 years I worked the preload, I did almost every job in the building. When I was switching over many people told me I was stupid, and that I should stay in the union. I have 1 year left of my bachelors degree, and my concentration is global supply chain/operations management. I chose to go into management to gain experience in my field. I did what was best for me.

Yes...Why can't we...When I started back in 81 I was excited to be at UPS..But over the years...Little by Little your excitment wanes, Reading other posts you see it from all sides..When they start pulling your strings you will not like it and you will have no choice but to obey or face the penaltys..I always thought I could make a good contribution to the success of the company with my hard work and some of my input but I felt I never did.. After over 25 yrs and retiring in 08 I look back at the way they treated me and others also in Mngmt and you can't help but feel for the people still chugging along..Going public took the wind out of the sails of USS BIG BROWN, Ups is now taking on water...get ready to abandon ship:nervoussmiley: