Why Complain?

CAFAL

All these negative threads will all these complaints. Did anyone open their eyes when they started at UPS? Look at what has changed since you have started.... not too much. It is a hard job with hostile management, over dispatch,long hours. If you just do your job,keep your bs to yourself and accept the fact that you make great money, its much easier. Any orofession where you make good money is difficult to be in. Doctors,lawyers etc. We could be jobless or working somewhere for 10 bucks an hour. Be proud to be a Upser. The union,ups,the government. All sell us out. Life is what you make it. Opinions anyone?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All these negative threads will all these complaints. Did anyone open their eyes when they started at UPS? Look at what has changed since you have started.... not too much. It is a hard job with hostile management, over dispatch,long hours. If you just do your job,keep your bs to yourself and accept the fact that you make great money, its much easier. Any orofession where you make good money is difficult to be in. Doctors,lawyers etc. We could be jobless or working somewhere for 10 bucks an hour. Be proud to be a Upser. The union,ups,the government. All sell us out. Life is what you make it. Opinions anyone?

Most UPSers come here to blow off steam because of the stress of working at UPS.

You nailed it as far as a remedy.

Kis124

Not everyone makes great money. And now people have to wait a year to get benefits. No matter what you do, it is never good enough. I have seen grown men close to tears from the way they are treated.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
While I agree with keeping your nose clean, and avoiding the bs, for the most part with CAFAL.
Just because we get paid great, does not mean we should be treated as second class citizens. I have no problem with the long hours, the work load, or the committments. Its the treatment of us as people, that is my biggest problem.
And you are wrong about what has changed. Alot has changed. A really lot has changed. We can blame the economy, we can blame the fact that it mostly changed when we went public. We can say its not the front line supervisors fault, its those above. The fact remains in many centers all over the country, and most likely different nations, the people policies are gone.
That to me was important.
We used to work long hours and get thanked for the effort, it was all of us and it was teamwork. Now you work long hours and get berated coz it took you too long. Or you got a complaint saying you didnt do this or that, or you were rude, or talked down to someone. Something that could have been simply handled, now turns into an interrogation. Or an investigation. Thats what I hate.

S

splozi

As a preloader, *I* get thanked for my efforts. My pt time sup almost daily tells me I do a good job. The manager who's in charge of the routes for my belt tells me that too, on occasion. The other week he mentioned how he appreciated that I utilize every possible inch of truck space during the load, this is after they combined two trucks (for one route) into one truck. Because of my load quality, these drivers always have good days, and management sees that, based on their times.

Now, I don't NEED their thanks to know I do a good job. I'm just responding here to the previous post regarding being thanked for effort.

It's quite possible that my center is very strange compared to others. It's also possible that the drivers here get bitched at just as much as in other centers, and maybe I just don't know anything about it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As a preloader, *I* get thanked for my efforts. My pt time sup almost daily tells me I do a good job. The manager who's in charge of the routes for my belt tells me that too, on occasion. The other week he mentioned how he appreciated that I utilize every possible inch of truck space during the load, this is after they combined two trucks (for one route) into one truck. Because of my load quality, these drivers always have good days, and management sees that, based on their times.

Now, I don't NEED their thanks to know I do a good job. I'm just responding here to the previous post regarding being thanked for effort.

It's quite possible that my center is very strange compared to others. It's also possible that the drivers here get bitched at just as much as in other centers, and maybe I just don't know anything about it.

Great post splozi.
Your center is strange, its like they all used to be. yes we get paid, and yes well. And yes we are lucky to have a job, and 99% of us know that. That does not mean human interaction, and and positive reinforcement dont play a role in productivity.

I believe they do.
But what do I know.

Do you work in Upstates center????

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's kinda like Baskin and Robins 34 flavors except you have way more than 34 reasons to be a little pissed.

Baskin Robbins legendarily had 31 flavors.

logo_BASKIN_ROBBINS.gif

Right now though they actually have 49 flavors on their current menu. ;)

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
If enough people have a commen complaint and threw ways such as this one find that it's not just them but a majority with same complaint; it makes posabilities for change to happen.
@ the very least, it can @ least give comfort to those that feel like they might be a minority against an issues.
Collectively gathering to places like this can give a Big picture that could even inspire real change if applied right. Issues on contract flaws , etc. could posably be rallied up to our locals and effect the upcoming contract.

Either way, u have the right to complain about the complainers, just as we have the right to complain and it's not in the workplace, nor is it effecting co-workers, the companies production , etc.... so post it and others will post what they will.

As for me, Curcumstainses cause me to post posative as well as negative. Such is life and paychecks will keep coming but life can be good just as much as bad, I strive for the posability of good, even if I have to complain enough to get there !!!!!!!

CAFAL

Im not knocking anyone here. Just making a generalized statement. In our building a
nd in our local,things seem to not matter much. Our local is a puppet of ups with closed door deals constantly.For me I find keeping out of the bs and just doing what I do,service the customer,makes life a ton easier. Supervisor come and go,but the job stays the same.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Striving for mediocrity will take you far as a driver. Be just another gazelle in the pack, let the point and the sickly ones get noticed.

Buck Fifty

Im not knocking anyone here. Just making a generalized statement. In our building a
nd in our local,things seem to not matter much. Our local is a puppet of ups with closed door deals constantly.For me I find keeping out of the bs and just doing what I do,service the customer,makes life a ton easier. Supervisor come and go,but the job stays the same.

You are the reason your union is a puppet, they are only mimicking you and they are only as strong as you make them. Start standing up for yourself and you'll see the union will follow suit. I'm not shocked that you are in NY, seems to be a pattern from there on here. Pass it on !!!