Why did Hoffa/Hall sell us out

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I have a math degree and some of the boys/girls I went. to school with attained serious degrees such as atmospheric science (meteorology). And I can assure you they, 90% of meteorologists, do not make more than 100k/ year in their careers. The relatively few that do, they're either doing on-air stuff broadcasting or ag/climate forecasters vested with trading firms. Perhaps 2-5% of meteorologists with a masters or higher make $250k + and many are starving!

Meteorologist make good money- for being not even close with theo forecasts. Where we have to be robotic for every working hour. I'd think we should earn $50 bucks an hr. For the great work we do.

twoweeled

Serious question, can anyone tell me why Hoffa sold us out????

Difficult to even guess at. So many possibilities. The easy general answer is "because they can"! They will probably get voted in again regardless! The more specific answer? I get the feeling now for sometime; UPS has conveyed to the international a sort of ultimatum. You can hang around and continue to collect dues from your workers, as long as you keep quiet and don't annoy the company. If you choose to raise issues and become a nuisance, we (UPS) will do away with you, and you (teamsters) will not collect any dues.
I think it's obvious to many of us, the union does not want to challenge the company. The union does NOT want this fight. The union feels it will lose. That's my thought.

twoweeled

TDU does deserve some measure of credit in the "Vote NO" movement enhancing TeamCare benefits. The unprecedented rejection of 17 supplements got the IBT leadership's attention and got them moving to convince the trustees to improve our health insurance. However, TDU's motives are always in question and they're obviously looking ahead to propping someone up to run against Ken H in 2016.

Can't argue with this. Sad, but politics seem to be everywhere. I'm glad TDU was around for additional information, but I feel that I have to get info from both sides and decipher, the facts from the fluff. Just like our government politics!

twoweeled

Everybody keeps thinking that health care for current employees is just one problem. How about the guys who are retired now or will be retiring during this contract they are getting screwed if they are not 65 yet. I'm not a teamster I'm a machinist but you guys need to get that straightened out also because what you get will follow suit for us! Some of you may not care about retirees now because you only have 5-10 years in but your going to go some time don't you wanna be taken care of until your 65? This is back breaking ball busting work (drivers and mechanics) shouldn't we be taken care of after retirement? HELL YES WE SHOULD!!!!!

!00% true!!!! Many of those who show no concern for the retired now, will regret it later. GUARANTEED!! :wink2:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Can't argue with this. Sad, but politics seem to be everywhere. I'm glad TDU was around for additional information, but I feel that I have to get info from both sides and decipher, the facts from the fluff. Just like our government politics!

Exactly. The best thing IBT could have done to cut the bulk of TDU's criticism off at the knees would have been to keep the membership more informed during negotiations. Granted, they moved at a snail's pace at the beginning (in the first few weeks, they were meeting for a total of 40 minutes or less per week) and I don't expect Hall to send out a tweet every time UPS makes a BS offer, but they should have done more to disseminate information to the rank-and-file.

twoweeled

I agree, you should ask for a 401k plan!

Yeah, we should just do away with any retirement plan. Just let us fund our own retirement with a 401K. Hey, there are people working for $9 an hour. We should agree to cut our pay to $9 per hour too! We are lucky to have jobs at all. Overtime? To hell with that, we are lucky to have a job. Maybe do away with the union, we are lucky to have a job at all!
​Are we trying to do the moonwalk here, or what??

WetPaint

C+ ..... seriously.... It is GARBAGE, WORSE CONTRACT EVER!

WE WERE SOLD OUT!

Perhaps You have not read the "contract" page by page and article by article. And perhaps even If You did...... You don't understand it.

When you find out the possibility of your (GWI) general wage increase might go to fund your Health plan, (Someone has to fund it and that means You! or all of US). The possibility that as stated on article 34 " The Union can collect from your (GWI) in case of default, mismanagement of funds, losses, unplanned expenses, etc, etc, etc......The union will collect from your (Raise) a portion to fund the health care and if your raises aren't enough...they can go after your Pension contribution as well. Once those allocations have taken effect, they can not be removed. There is no limit of how much money they can take from you or for how long. Future contracts will be less appealing than todays. and perhaps that will be the end of the teamsters as stands.
As one part-time employee said..... There may not be a good reason to stay and work for UPS anymore. If my proposed wage increase will be sucked by the Health plan in the next 5 years..... That means that I will be making the same amount for the next 5 years and perhaps less.
This contract targets every one from the part-time employee to the feeder guy....

SOLD OUT INDEED