Why didn't you dr the basic package?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In most instances yes, the DR notice is used. I was just referring to those rare instances when it us just not a good DR. There have been a few examples posted here.

The only time this should be an issue is at a commercial stop. All residential Basic deliveries should be completed on the first attempt IMO.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would never bring back a basic package. I don't care if they're closed, and I definitely don't care what's in it! The shipper wants it released on the first attempt. I'm not sure why some of you want to piss off our paying customer who has selected basic service to get this package delivered on the first attempt. You're overthinking a very simple concept.

Over, are you saying that you would DR a package at a closed commercial stop that has a high degree of visibility just because it is a Basic? I would definitely try to indirect or if I brought it back to center I could certainly justify myself to my center manager as to my reasoning for doing so. Residential stops are a no-brainer IMO--release on first attempt.

over9five

Staff member
Over, are you saying that you would DR a package at a closed commercial stop that has a high degree of visibility just because it is a Basic?

Yes I would. This is the service the paying customer selected when he shipped the package.

How do you know someone isn't stopping by later to pick up the package you were supposed to leave?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They are paying for basic, business, project, out in the open, it is not our problem. Remember we are not paid to think. We are not to bring them back, period.

upsgrunt

Basics are a no claim account- I leave them at any situation. You get what you pay for and it's not our call to make.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This is what the info notice is for.
Unless you're FedEx ground and leave the info notice attached to the actual pkg, LOL.

Steve, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Basic/Shipper Release is a reduced service and IMO you should be DRing them on the first attempt.

I do have an issue with DRing Basic at a business, especially like the one Browniehound described. I would not nor will I leave a package to a closed business. I had a Basic package, which turned out to be checks, for a local bar. If they had not been there I would not have released the package, Basic or not.
I misspoke in my first post. When I attempt a delivery to any of the apts on my route, if no one is home, I leave all pkgs at the various offices, after leave a Delivery Notice on the door with the pertinent information. If the office happens to be closed, I will then NI and return for another attempt the next day.

I would never bring back a basic package. I don't care if they're closed, and I definitely don't care what's in it! The shipper wants it released on the first attempt. I'm not sure why some of you want to piss off our paying customer who has selected basic service to get this package delivered on the first attempt. You're overthinking a very simple concept.
Not overthinking, just using my brain. No complaints yet.

Yes I would. This is the service the paying customer selected when he shipped the package.

How do you know someone isn't stopping by later to pick up the package you were supposed to leave?
Yeah, but that someone, could be ANYONE!

They are paying for basic, business, project, out in the open, it is not our problem. Remember we are not paid to think. We are not to bring them back, period.
Therein lies the problem. I will shut my brain off for no one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve, this is where you and I disagree. Basic packages for a residential should be delivered on the first attempt, whether to a single family home or to an apartment complex.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, this is where you and I disagree. Basic packages for a residential should be delivered on the first attempt, whether to a single family home or to an apartment complex.
It's not the first time, and probably not the last, but I still like you Upstate, and look forward to what you add to this forum.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
But Steve, it is the companies call. You should not override it, it will get you and your brain fired. I shuddered the 1st time I left one at a closed business, It was withing their usual range of posted hours, I called they said leave it. My brain tells me I should make a second attempt to get rid of a bulk stop and get credit for the second stop, but we dont.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not sure if you guys realize, or agree, but the premise of a basic package is not that the customer paid to have it delivered on the first attempt.
The premise is that we only have to spend one attempt to service it.
The customer therefore receives a reduced rate verses a traditional service package.
My understanding is that the basic package should therefore not be treated as a send again, even when a suitable DR location cannot be achieved.
In these instances where a "good" DR is not available, the DIAD prompts us when we hit the nondelivery soft key "if not delivered because of driver discretion, indicate final delivery on notice and place package in will call".
I don't see this service level as a viable excuse to DR a package in a questionable location.
It's convenient to say that we don't get paid to think.
It's realistic to know that we get disciplined when we don't.
Got to believe that we are paid well enough to use a little common sense.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
But Steve, it is the companies call. You should not override it, it will get you and your brain fired. I shuddered the 1st time I left one at a closed business, It was withing their usual range of posted hours, I called they said leave it. My brain tells me I should make a second attempt to get rid of a bulk stop and get credit for the second stop, but we dont.
I do make the second attempt, but when I sheet the pkgs I hit the DUP stop key. Doing it this way won't get you in trouble, but taking credit for an "extra" stop will. June, as Sober has said in previous posts, to all readers, you need to start thinking outside of the box. Credit for stops, over/under is all UPS stuff to make you function a certain way. He said he just deliver's the pkgs, empties the truck, brings back what he couldn't deliver and goes home to his lovely wife.

Now I'm quoting him "WAY" loosely, but I have to agree with the essence of his post. I'm not working against a clock. I deliver and get done, when I get done. There is no 9/5 in my mind. My customer's on both ends are satisfied that I did the job properly and when I get home I sleep good at night. The apts I deliver to are way transient. I won't leave a pkg somewhere that I don't know that Joe Schmo is still living at, even if it is basic. I'll drop it at the office and if Joe Schmo has moved on, I'll RTS said pkg when the office gets tired of said pkg sitting in the mailroom. It's just the way I roll.:happy2:

Not sure if you guys realize, or agree, but the premise of a basic package is not that the customer paid to have it delivered on the first attempt.
The premise is that we only have to spend one attempt to service it.
The customer therefore receives a reduced rate verses a traditional service package.
My understanding is that the basic package should therefore not be treated as a send again, even when a suitable DR location cannot be achieved.
In these instances where a "good" DR is not available, the DIAD prompts us when we hit the nondelivery soft key "if not delivered because of driver discretion, indicate final delivery on notice and place package in will call".
I don't see this service level as a viable excuse to DR a package in a questionable location.
It's convenient to say that we don't get paid to think.
It's realistic to know that we get disciplined when we don't.
Got to believe that we are paid well enough to use a little common sense.
I hope this doesn't come down to this side and that side.:dissapointed:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I do make the second attempt, but when I sheet the pkgs I hit the DUP stop key. Doing it this way won't get you in trouble, but taking credit for an "extra" stop will. June, as Sober has said in previous posts, to all readers, you need to start thinking outside of the box. Credit for stops, over/under is all UPS stuff to make you function a certain way. He said he just deliver's the pkgs, empties the truck, brings back what he couldn't deliver and goes home to his lovely wife.

Now I'm quoting him "WAY" loosely, but I have to agree with the essence of his post. I'm not working against a clock. I deliver and get done, when I get done. There is no 9/5 in my mind. My customer's on both ends are satisfied that I did the job properly and when I get home I sleep good at night. The apts I deliver to are way transient. I won't leave a pkg somewhere that I don't know that Joe Schmo is still living at, even if it is basic. I'll drop it at the office and if Joe Schmo has moved on, I'll RTS said pkg when the office gets tired of said pkg sitting in the mailroom. It's just the way I roll.:happy2:

I hope this doesn't come down to this side and that side.:dissapointed:

I don't think it is so much about the credit we get on our dispatch, rather the fact that the customer didn't pay for more than one attempt.
With subsequent attempts and package movement goes our profit margine on that package.
It's a cut rate service, so going the extra mile isn't warranted.
If you can't make a good Dr on it, put it in will call.
That's my take anyway.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not need to think outside of the box on this. I have been told, and while I trust you guys more, they pay me and that is why I do what I am told. I used to call, say it aint good to leave this here, and every time was told not to bring it back get rid of it. the shipper needs to not send basic, and since they use it, that is what I give. They do not want it in will call, that is added service......so While I may agree with you, Im not fighting city hall aka mgmt on this one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This will call thing is a new one on me too.

The only problem with this premise is that often times the consignee does not know that their package is coming via Basic, especially if the shipper offers free shipping. Driver releasing a package at a closed commercial location with high visibility is just something that I do not feel comfortable doing and I would have no problem explaining my discomfort if I ended up bringing it back as a paid send again.

browniehound

Ya know what? As drivers we already have too many responsibilities and it runs the gamut from doing a pretrip and signing the DVIR to not getting into an accident, to really care where we DR a shipper release package.

Honestly, I could give two flying fighters about the damn package. The shipper chose the 'fling and run' option to save money so thats what I do. If it really mattered the shipper would have requested a signature.

Just leave them because thats what the customer wants...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This will call thing is a new one on me too.

The only problem with this premise is that often times the consignee does not know that their package is coming via Basic, especially if the shipper offers free shipping. Driver releasing a package at a closed commercial location with high visibility is just something that I do not feel comfortable doing and I would have no problem explaining my discomfort if I ended up bringing it back as a paid send again.

Do whatever it is you usually do, but as an experiment Monday, hit the nondelivery soft key and read the prompt.
My method was discussed on a recent ride with my Oncar who was in agreement when, at my discretion, I put a basic package in will call.
By all means whatever is working for you guys, keep doing it, and stay out of trouble.
Once again though, I think the service is a discount service, and anything beyond what's prescribed makes it an unprofitable package.
After all, they may say safety first, but profit is the bottom line.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ya know what? As drivers we already have too many responsibilities and it runs the gamut from doing a pretrip and signing the DVIR to not getting into an accident, to really care where we DR a shipper release package.

Honestly, I could give two flying fighters about the damn package. The shipper chose the 'fling and run' option to save money so thats what I do. If it really mattered the shipper would have requested a signature.

Just leave them because thats what the customer wants...
LOL @ The Fling and Run option, too funny. It's true that the shipper sent it that way, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cust wants or even expects the pkg to be handled that way. I know, I know, semantics, and since that's the case, I'll do it my way and you all can do it yours. The end all of it is, the customer still gets the pkg and that is our goal.

govols019

You smell that?
I don't understand the problem here. The DIAD prompts you that it is OK to DR a basic package at ANY location. Seems pretty simple to me. If it's a basic then it gets left, period.

Here, if we even take the time to get a signature for a basic package, commercial or residential, we will be in the office the next morning.