Why does every driver hate their job?

542thruNthru

Get your dad one of these to keep in his package car.
sketch-1550010140552.png

It will help him relax and relieve stress.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Drivers dont hate their jobs. Just tired of the flavor of the month safely focuses an getting question about their integrity when they get lied too majority of the time by their management.

mikejonesjr

It sucks at UPS. Management is always annoying and breathing down your back and your just a tool to hit their numbers. Getting close to 5 years now and I regret not going to school. Oh well

RolloTony Brown Town

I’m 19 years old and I have been at UPS for about a year and 2 months (one year from union date tomorrow). It seems every driver in my hub hates their job, including my old man. When I originally came on, I came on during peak and was kept because my father has been there for 23 years. He originally wanted me to go to school and become a supe because one of his friends went supe route and is now President of our district. I talk to other drivers about my plan of turning 21 (born in October), working that peak then in February or March go to driving school so I can qualify. My dad was originally against it but he wants me to get out of the warehouse and go drive as soon as possible now because that’s where he got most injuries. Other than bad weather and a lot of stops, what’s so bad about being a driver?

Get your cdl as soon as you can. They’re always looking for drivers, less wear and tear on your body, and a skill that translates across the industry unlike package car driving.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I hear this all of the time...and just don't see it???

Once you're qualified this job has zero stress, unless you put it on yourself by allowing the Company to leverage your personal life against your professional life.
It may be tedious and physical, with the elements and age wearing at you along the way, but if you just come to work with the mentality that you here to sell your time, there is no "stress".

Tedium and physicality are stressors.

Types of Stressors (Eustress vs. Distress)

Hope this helps.

Underallowed306

To the OP: I used to think that too when I worked preload. I wondered how it could be so bad. It’s usually just a few vocal guys/ girls that are burned out and want to do as little as possible to get through the day. Also, some drivers don’t know how to communicate with their dispatch sup (or the sup is an :censored2:), so they just throw a hissy fit to lose a few stops. If you could see us on area or when we get back in the evenings, you would probably see a vastly different side to most of us. Don’t let it scare you from driving when you get the chance.

WTFm8

I don’t mind driving at all.

I HATE the lack of training and accountability for the continued :censored2: load quality.

Average of 4 out of 5 loaders flatout suck in my experience... it’d be a lot less if they were instructed to focus on quality instead of just getting the :censored2: in the truck.

Add in load charts printed way too early and dispatch's ineffective use of shelf space, pluss adding on a bulk or 2 on a split, makes for a ‘long’ day.

Then an ORS wants to harass about over allowed and load selection time and act like it’s the drivers fault.