Why does every driver hate their job?

Poop Head

Judge me.
I’m 19 years old and I have been at UPS for about a year and 2 months (one year from union date tomorrow). It seems every driver in my hub hates their job, including my old man. When I originally came on, I came on during peak and was kept because my father has been there for 23 years. He originally wanted me to go to school and become a supe because one of his friends went supe route and is now President of our district. I talk to other drivers about my plan of turning 21 (born in October), working that peak then in February or March go to driving school so I can qualify. My dad was originally against it but he wants me to get out of the warehouse and go drive as soon as possible now because that’s where he got most injuries. Other than bad weather and a lot of stops, what’s so bad about being a driver?
I freaking love this chit

BUCN85

I don’t think drivers really hate the actual job itself, but more so the politics behind it , unattainable #’s and management. If you get a good management team I’m sure the job would be great and you wouldn’t feel the life sucked out of you everyday.

The Milkman

Didn't he say his Dad is 23 years in as a driver?
Don't you think that affords him a little more frame of reference than you are giving him credit for???

I hear this all of the time...and just don't see it???

Once you're qualified this job has zero stress, unless you put it on yourself by allowing the Company to leverage your personal life against your professional life.
It may be tedious and physical, with the elements and age wearing at you along the way, but if you just come to work with the mentality that you here to sell your time, there is no "stress".

To the OP, I would say you need to look at what this job is poised to become over the next 30 years and ask yourself if this is a career that may be in jeopardy of being replaced by automation and autonomous vehicles.

I know it seems far fetched, but it really isn't.

Good luck.

The Milkman

Didn't he say his Dad is 23 years in as a driver?
Don't you think that affords him a little more frame of reference than you are giving him credit for???

I hear this all of the time...and just don't see it???

Once you're qualified this job has zero stress, unless you put it on yourself by allowing the Company to leverage your personal life against your professional life.
It may be tedious and physical, with the elements and age wearing at you along the way, but if you just come to work with the mentality that you here to sell your time, there is no "stress".

To the OP, I would say you need to look at what this job is poised to become over the next 30 years and ask yourself if this is a career that may be in jeopardy of being replaced by automation and autonomous vehicles.

I know it seems far fetched, but it really isn't.

Good luck.

You would have to think that if his father has been there 23 years he should by now know and has seen over the years how Big Brown treats their people. So if he is 19, then his dad would of been at UPS maybe a few years, wondering how much family time he had with his son growing up?? This Job is not a cake walk and I would hate to see one of my sons deal with all the stress that comes with Driving or any other position at UPS. Again I don't know too many drivers with kids that didn't have family time plans go out the window when requesting a light day to see their kids in a game or missing other things over the years

sikidiki

All the people complaining about the job are just old, ignore them. The job has its tough moments, but they pay and benefits outweigh the problems. Do you want to be rich and have amazing benefits and a retirement? Then work here, if not go work some dead end job with :censored2: benefits and no retirement.

This job isn't for everyone. But if you want 4000 dollars deposited into your bank account at the first of every month after retirement, its best you get started early! My dad worked for ups for 38 years, i've seen how everything works, needless to say my dad was very proud i decided to join ups. Hard work pays off. Just gotta deal with the Bs sometimes and keep working.

Last edited:

UPSER1987

You would have to think that if his father has been there 23 years he should by now know and has seen over the years how Big Brown treats their people. So if he is 19, then his dad would of been at UPS maybe a few years, wondering how much family time he had with his son growing up?? This Job is not a cake walk and I would hate to see one of my sons deal with all the stress that comes with Driving or any other position at UPS. Again I don't know too many drivers with kids that didn't have family time plans go out the window when requesting a light day to see their kids in a game or missing other things over the years

Do you talk to any member of society or just UPSers? You don’t think this kind of stuff happens at all kinds of jobs? Any at a far less rate of pay? Any one of our sons are going to deal with stress any where they work- that’s a no brainer. Just gotta decide if the pros outweigh the cons...make a decision and stick with it.

Chaos

I Am The Devil
Name another company you would want to drive for?

The job is fine. It’s good. It’s whatever you put into it and take from it. I leave work at work and don’t bring it home with me. Great days, good days, bad days, and those rare occasions I question why the :censored2: I decided to make this my career.

A lot of these folks don’t know anything different. Coming from :censored2: jobs to UPS for an opportunity to have a real career. I look at all my friends that have retired from this company and they are set. Put in all that hard back breaking body destroying work but ultimately have great retirement.

Complaining is a coping mechanism it’s relatability to everyone around you. A little empathy from others can help soothe the mind before the aggravations of the job. But once you have found what methods work best for you it works out. The job becomes stressful with all the politics. I have been driving for over a decade now and of all the companies I’ve worked for the only one to offer me an opportunity to a real future is big brown, but let’s not be delusional that opportunity comes with a huge price. When you’re starting out your willingness to pay that price is much higher than let’s say 5 - retirement.

Really you need to consider the wear and tear on your body. The wear and tear on your mind. Can you handle a fast paced environment all the time and be efficient. Your tolerance for bull:censored2: because there is a lot of it. Being the scapegoat for when your day doesn’t go smooth. But most of all knowing you’re going to be doing the same exact thing for the rest of your working life and your free time will be limited...I cannot stress this part enough.

Also. I love my job.

Boxjockey82

I can't stand the guys that will complain about how they're always at work and no family time but then want to stand in the parking lot after getting off and talk to you for an hour about work.

Indecisi0n

Feeders has made me enjoy my job again. Bad day in feeders is farting in the cab and not wanting to open the window in fear of letting the warm air out so you just dutch-oven yourself .

Days

Feeders has made me enjoy my job again. Bad day in feeders is farting in the cab and not wanting to open the window in fear of letting the warm air out so you just dutch-oven yourself .

You need serious help. I think there’s a UPS number you can call if you need someone to talk to

UPSER1987

I can't stand the guys that will complain about how they're always at work and no family time but then want to stand in the parking lot after getting off and talk to you for an hour about work.

This exactly. That’s the guy you go take work off because he needs help, then you find him in the office or parking lot shootin the stuff with everyone. Go home.

Chnandler Bong

When I first got a satellite route, I was mainly excited about the shorter commute to work. Now I realize that not having to be in the building every morning, listening to drivers bitch about mostly unimportant stuff or management question the most idiotic minutia from the previous day, is just as gratifying. The attitudes are contagious and can really get to you if you allow it. Working a satellite route, you deal with almost none of that. It sucks having to load in the freezing cold sometimes, but it's sooooo worth it!

Arch

I don't hate the job but sometimes it can be frustrating not knowing what your going to do each day as a cover driver. Every route you do will be a challenge with nobody being able to teach you. You learn everything by making mistakes in this company. It does however gets easier once you learn everything. You don't thank UPS for that. You thank yourself for putting in the trouble so they can't find anything else to screw you with. The stress factor will eventually go away because day in day out, you get use to it and stop caring.