Why does every driver hate their job?

PTPunchingBag

I’m 19 years old and I have been at UPS for about a year and 2 months (one year from union date tomorrow). It seems every driver in my hub hates their job, including my old man. When I originally came on, I came on during peak and was kept because my father has been there for 23 years. He originally wanted me to go to school and become a supe because one of his friends went supe route and is now President of our district. I talk to other drivers about my plan of turning 21 (born in October), working that peak then in February or March go to driving school so I can qualify. My dad was originally against it but he wants me to get out of the warehouse and go drive as soon as possible now because that’s where he got most injuries. Other than bad weather and a lot of stops, what’s so bad about being a driver?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I’m 19 years old and I have been at UPS for about a year and 2 months (one year from union date tomorrow). It seems every driver in my hub hates their job, including my old man. When I originally came on, I came on during peak and was kept because my father has been there for 23 years. He originally wanted me to go to school and become a supe because one of his friends went supe route and is now President of our district. I talk to other drivers about my plan of turning 21 (born in October), working that peak then in February or March go to driving school so I can qualify. My dad was originally against it but he wants me to get out of the warehouse and go drive as soon as possible now because that’s where he got most injuries. Other than bad weather and a lot of stops, what’s so bad about being a driver?

Good luck too ya

I wouldn’t let any of my kids work at UPS even if they had wanted to

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Just the complaining in my hub, no family time, lots of stops, EVERYONE in my hub just complains and complains. Total bitch fest

Complaining about ≠ hate. It's a coping mechanism. The job is stressful, and complaining helps relieve some of the stress. It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for, they either truly love their jobs or are so pent up they could explode any time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Complaining about ≠ hate. It's a coping mechanism. The job is stressful, and complaining helps relieve some of the stress. It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for, they either truly love their jobs or are so pent up they could explode any time.
I mean almost everybody complains about their job

JL 0513

It's human nature and mostly a social thing to complain about work. It's the easiest type of conversation to bring up at work. Notice how many guys will complain about stop count and so on EVERY morning and then be in under 9 hrs.

If people truly HATED the job in the real sense of the word, guys would leave for something else, yet they stay for life as long as their health allows.

Personally, it's the most enjoyable job I've ever had and I worked many for 18 years before going driving.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Every driver doesn't hate their job. I met one once who didn't, therefore not every driver hates his or her job.

El Correcto

god is dead
UPS is becoming wonderful

I don’t hate my job, I love it.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I complain a lot about how the preload sucks, how I suck at the preload, how everyone else sucks at the preload, and how it should be disbanded as a whole along with PAS and every dispatcher we've ever hired.

Maplewood

The commute + the work hours = a :censored2:ty quality of life. After a while all we know is how to bitch and with this new generation of retarded management there's a lot to bitch about! How many other people do you know that ":censored2:ing hate Christmas!"

The Milkman

Let us all know how you feel after about 5-10 years (if ya last that long) or if and when you get married and have kids and how that will work into your Family & friends times, and if you do last that long please keep a file on your aches and pains that will develop in due time so we can all compare our notes to yours ok? Give me a break, the ink on your application is still wet and you have yet to see "What Can Brown Do For You?" or is it "What Did Brown Do to You?" Maybe you will throw in the towel and run into on car supedom? There are those that like their jobs, but being just a # since the day you started you will see why others feel the way you do. You will be crapped on soon enough, and after a while that Brown smelly stuff will knock sense into your young head

Indecisi0n

The commute + the work hours = a :censored2:ty quality of life. After a while all we know is how to bitch and with this new generation of retarded management there's a lot to bitch about! How many other people do you know that ":censored2:ing hate Christmas!"
Look at the positives , at least you don't have womely heavy flow issues like some.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We all see what we would like in other jobs.

My wife and I neither one have much idea what time we will be off going into a given day and we both hate that aspect of our jobs. Because we have no idea what it’s like knowing we would be off at 3,4,5 seems like the most amazing thing to us.

Our friends that get off at the same time every day would much rather have our pay or our vacation time.

The grass is always greener.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Let us all know how you feel after about 5-10 years (if ya last that long) or if and when you get married and have kids and how that will work into your Family & friends times, and if you do last that long please keep a file on your aches and pains that will develop in due time so we can all compare our notes to yours ok? Give me a break, the ink on your application is still wet and you have yet to see "What Can Brown Do For You?" or is it "What Did Brown Do to You?" Maybe you will throw in the towel and run into on car supedom? There are those that like their jobs, but being just a # since the day you started you will see why others feel the way you do. You will be crapped on soon enough, and after a while that Brown smelly stuff will knock sense into your young head
Didn't he say his Dad is 23 years in as a driver?
Don't you think that affords him a little more frame of reference than you are giving him credit for???
The job is stressful, and complaining helps relieve some of the stress.
I hear this all of the time...and just don't see it???

Once you're qualified this job has zero stress, unless you put it on yourself by allowing the Company to leverage your personal life against your professional life.
It may be tedious and physical, with the elements and age wearing at you along the way, but if you just come to work with the mentality that you here to sell your time, there is no "stress".
My dad was originally against it but he wants me to get out of the warehouse and go drive as soon as possible now because that’s where he got most injuries. Other than bad weather and a lot of stops, what’s so bad about being a driver?
To the OP, I would say you need to look at what this job is poised to become over the next 30 years and ask yourself if this is a career that may be in jeopardy of being replaced by automation and autonomous vehicles.

I know it seems far fetched, but it really isn't.

Good luck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I believe the problem stems from the multi-faceted belief in consumerism and conflicting strains that creates on the bourgeoisie class.