Why doesn't Sandy Pope have a full slate?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
No one is disgareeing, but what you are missing is that Sandy Pope has little background and her tiny local is practically bankrupt in 10 years.

Thinking out loud in layman's terms: if in fact L805 was 'near bankruptcy', I imagine the General President of the IBT would have taken action, possibly even placed it in the hands of appointed trustees.
I assume you are referring to the drop in the L805 general fund 'total assets' from $2M to $300K from 2005 to 2010 (Ms. Pope's tenure as principal officer). Her campaign literature says she decided to run for office in her local when the incumbents were rolling over on health care cost concessions and employers ceasing pension contributions. To paraphrase her "I'm not going to apologize for spending the member's money to benefit them". Overall it appears she has been pretty successful for her members. Otherwise, what are the assets there for? To keep paying officers/staff until finally the members' contracts are so weak they're better off working for Walmart and the local gets dissolved?

Let's compare her tiny local with another little local (and if you look through the reports, you'll see there are many, many small Teamster locals):

File # | Fiscal Year | Affiliation/Organization Name |Total Assets |Total Liabilities |Total Receipts |Total Disbursements| Membership
019-0502010 ReportTEAMSTERS LOCAL UNION 614$574,504$548,429$743,015$748,4261,429
001-5072010 ReportTEAMSTERS LOCAL UNION 805$308,103$10,417$1,269,746$1,244,9691,069

• Local Total Assets Total Liabilities Net
  • L614 $574,504 - $548,429 = $26,075
  • L805 $308,103 - $10,417 = $297,686
If you are going to look at a union's assets; I think liabilities (and the net) should also be considered. On that basis, 805 sure looks better than 614.
Now, who's Local is 614? Hint: he declined to participate in the IBT candidate forum and sent a stand-in.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sandy Pope "has little background"?? She has been a Teamster since 1978. She actually runs a local, unlike Junior before 1998. She actually negotiated contracts while Junior was working for the employers. She was brought to Washington by Ron Carey and worked with him. Her local is not bankrupt. It spent some of their reserves on doing actual organizing. That costs $$ . Whats wrong with spending $$ on organizing. It is like a good investment that pays off years later. Besides Overnite, which was a gift to Hoffa by UPS, what has Junior organized??
Who cares about how long she has been a Teamster...I am UFM, UFCW and Teamsters...does that make me more qualified than her?

bigblu 2 you

You must be some old guard union official arent you?? Your words give it away. Your type think that only the union officials can do things and only union officials know anything. It was overpaid union officers here in local 804 that underestimated the power of the rank and file. They woke up one morning and found themselves out of a well paying job!! That is the importance of groups like TDU. They empower the rank and file to stand up to status quo, old guard union officers and educate the membership. You are right TDU didnt win the election of 1991 but they educated enough rank and file members to take back their union from the old guard. Thanks to TDU we do have regular elections, we have less corruption and more educated members. You call it a parasite?? You do know that TDU is a voluntary organization of thousands. If anything a Hoffa-controlled union is the parasite for sucking our union dues away and us, the host, and getting nothing positive out of the relationship!!
i am not "old guard"i have been a ups driver for 27 years and just want a fair contract and representation .on tdu we will agree to disagree,i leave it at that.as far as sandy pope,if she had half a slate i possibly would consider her,but just imagine any republican presidential candidate taking office with the current members of obamas staff.it would be a task in itself just to get along,little less work for members.i like gegares slate and know two of them personally and believe they have the members best interests in running.gegare himself came across a bit brash to me but when he told me his the first move he would make as pres was to fire the sellouts who sit on the panels,,,well thats more than the other two have promised.

804brown

i am not "old guard"i have been a ups driver for 27 years and just want a fair contract and representation .on tdu we will agree to disagree,i leave it at that.as far as sandy pope,if she had half a slate i possibly would consider her,but just imagine any republican presidential candidate taking office with the current members of obamas staff.it would be a task in itself just to get along,little less work for members.i like gegares slate and know two of them personally and believe they have the members best interests in running.gegare himself came across a bit brash to me but when he told me his the first move he would make as pres was to fire the sellouts who sit on the panels,,,well thats more than the other two have promised.

Again, Pope knows the entire GEB. She likes many of them. She even likes some of Gegare's slate. They dont disagree on ideology here like Dems and Repubs do so I dont think that analogy works. On Gegare's idea of firing the sellouts on the panel, I agree it sounds good but why didnt he push his buddy Hoffa to fire them when he had the chance??

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just was in California a couple of weeks ago and didn't see "we" doing a whole lot of Hoffa chanting. In fact, alot of interest in the Gegare-Sheard ticket and its message.

Then you werent in so cal.. We would have thrown you off property. We dont have time for posers in the southwest. TDU tries to hand out flyers, we ball em up and toss them on the ground, we make a giant mess and UPS goes outside and asks TDU to clean the yard.

Mission Accomplished.

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Just curious what is your facination with Sandy Pope is? Other than being with TDU? How can the rest of the country be wrong and you right?

Peace.

EyesLookingIn

Why doesn't Sandy Pope have a full slate?

hall seems to take almost as much criticism as Hoffa. Sandy has headed the TDU for some time now, so she knows and has worked with a lot of union people. Couldn't and shouldn't she have recruited others to join her in running for IBT office?

Its amazing that people here just don't get it..... The problem is Hoffa there is no way that anyone could put a whole slate together because he's officers are to good and to well liked. People like Aloise , Mixon , Potter , Simpson , Tedeschi , Miranda , Buie , Hamilton , Murphy , O'Brien , Kane , Buhle , Coli , Johnson , Wood , Middleton.

Sandy's best chance was to run against Hoffa and Fred , hoping Fred's slate won't not get the delegate votes needed. So that all of Hoffa's slate would not have to campaign to hard and use there own money.

Sandy is not the head of the TDU

Yes Hall does take as much criticism as Hoffa because of the last 2 UPS contracts.

Please do alittle homework before you post here.........

EyesLookingIn

Just curious what is your facination with Sandy Pope is? Other than being with TDU? How can the rest of the country be wrong and you right?

Just like the rest of the country was wrong about Ron Carey. If she ran against Hoffa heads up she would crush him , If he debated her , she would crush him. Hoffa is a corporate lawyer nothing else , he became a lawyer with money that was made off of his fathers name.

I would rather have a true Teamster lead me then a corporate lawyer that never got his hands dirty or who never stood on a picked line and I don't mean holding he's dads hand.

upsset

Its amazing that people here just don't get it..... The problem is Hoffa there is no way that anyone could put a whole slate together because he's officers are to good and to well liked. People like Aloise , Mixon , Potter , Simpson , Tedeschi , Miranda , Buie , Hamilton , Murphy , O'Brien , Kane , Buhle , Coli , Johnson , Wood , Middleton.

Sandy's best chance was to run against Hoffa and Fred , hoping Fred's slate won't not get the delegate votes needed. So that all of Hoffa's slate would not have to campaign to hard and use there own money.

Sandy is not the head of the TDU

Yes Hall does take as much criticism as Hoffa because of the last 2 UPS contracts.

Please do alittle homework before you post here.........

Let me see if I understand you right, there are too many good people running on the Hoffa Slate for Sandy to put together a viable slate to oppose them. Now I have got to say that there must be a reason that (according to you) the most qualified people are running on the Hoffa/Hall slate. Do you think it is because they think Sandy Pope would be a better leader? I would have to say they have demonstrated by their loyality, who they believe the most qualified leader is and will be in the future..............Vote Hoffa/Hall for the good of our Union!!!!!!!!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just like the rest of the country was wrong about Ron Carey. If she ran against Hoffa heads up she would crush him , If he debated her , she would crush him. Hoffa is a corporate lawyer nothing else , he became a lawyer with money that was made off of his fathers name.

I would rather have a true Teamster lead me then a corporate lawyer that never got his hands dirty or who never stood on a picked line and I don't mean holding he's dads hand.

What SPECIFIC experience with the UPS contract is she personally responsible for? Where in the last 20 years has she been involved with the UPS contract and its issues? What specific ideas does she have for article 37 language? What specific ideas does she have for article 6 language?

Specifically, are you supporting her for her positions on specific UPS contract issues or are you just riding the bandwagon because shes cute?

Peace.

mamirk69

Boy this has become a recycled thread. The same conversation that has been had in this thread has been covered in other threads with the same suspects. At the end of the day each candidate has faults, some larger than others. Members have taken hits that have effected them directly by current administration while other Teamsters are fine with the current administration. The IBT presidential election will not be won on Brown Cafe. At the end of the day, each faction will support their candidates in hope of gaining new VOTERS that will influence the election. It is a matter of receiving pertinent information to make an informed decision.