Why is ups never mentioned

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I've done both for many years as well. Digging a ditch with a shovel is probably harder, but no one is telling you how to do it with 100 reports. I would go back to ditch digging if it had the same bennies and pension, just to not get your chops busted about what you did wrong the day before.
Our center is handing out discharge letters for calling in sick. Doesn’t matter if you have sick days left. I asked 3 weeks ago for a day off because of childcare conflict. They said no way but to just call in sick and expect a discharge or warning letter. i have option days but nope, can’t use those either. I mean, why even give us paid sick days anymore?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Our center is handing out discharge letters for calling in sick. Doesn’t matter if you have sick days left. I asked 3 weeks ago for a day off because of childcare conflict. They said no way but to just call in sick and expect a discharge or warning letter. i have option days but nope, can’t use those either. I mean, why even give us paid sick days anymore?
They’re doing that here too.
what’s the point in having paid time off if you can’t use them?

Zowert

Everyone is making good points about the money . But still surprised ups driver or worker wouldn't be on a list for hardest jobs . Because on the one I seen they had construction and stuff like that . Loading a truck during peak is a lot harder overall then digging a ditch . And being a ups driver "day to day" is harder then construction. I did both so i would know . Not saying construction is easy , but ups as a whole belongs on those lists. Just saying . I mean anytime you mention you work a ups , you get. Oh wow .. You must work your ass off or some story of someone they know did it and quit because it was too hard

I DEMAND IT BE ON LISTS! I need my life validated =(
From a certain perspective it is a tough job but it’s nowhere near the hardest. I went from being a public high school teacher to RPCD and it almost destroyed me after my first peak. I thought standing in a climate controlled building 9 hours a day trying to get teenagers to give a crap about US history was hard. Then I got on with UPS and found myself driving around over 12 hours a day, hauling 90+ lbs mattresses up stairs in freezing temperatures. I woke up sore every day for weeks until my body finally adjusted to the labor. If you asked me at the time I’d say it was the hardest job there is. Anyway, I know you didn’t claim that UPS driver is THE hardest job there is. Just thought I’d chime in.

You got me thinking, what is a tougher job than UPS delivery driver? In my opinion working on an oil rig, farm or commercial fishing boat all seem like harder work. They have long hours and there is always plenty of work for them to do. As far as the most stressful, I’d give that to the police. Cops in Chicago especially, they’re always getting shot at. The highway patrol agencies along the US-Mexico border would be a bit scary. You never know if you’re pulling some cartel member over that’s riding dirty and would rather kill you than get arrested. Just the possibility of having to make a split second decision that could take someone’s life would be enough to stress me the friend out.