Why Senior Employees Should Be Pro-Union

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You can't get a union in so it's a moot point.

It's not going to stop me from trying. Your attitude is exactly what got us where we are today. Collectively, all the vantexans out there keep telling themselves "No, it can't be done", so it never does get done. Fred has you where he wants you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Anything more than talk has Express guys wetting their panties.

If it gets to the point where they start giving out FedEx flashlights and lunch bags, we're talking serious fear on their part. That means the donuts and pizza aren't working their "magic" anymore. If anything, people are wising-up.

CJinx

All this union talk sure gets you ground guys panties all in a bunch doesn't it?
No, not really. I'm still an employee of Fedex and would likely stand to gain if a union drive for hourly employees was ever successful in one of the opcos, since it would likely tidal wave into the others. It just makes me laugh to read all this crap and not see any action on the front lines. The last visible union drive was in Brockton and look how well that worked out for them. :knockedout:

It's like when people post those anti-whatever images on Facebook. "I'm against domestic violence! but I'm not gonna do anything about it except post this photo and make a smartass comment; because anything more would require an investment of time, money and/or effort on my part!"

bbsam

Staff member
If it gets to the point where they start giving out FedEx flashlights and lunch bags, we're talking serious fear on their part. That means the donuts and pizza aren't working their "magic" anymore. If anything, people are wising-up.

about time, wouldn't you say?

MAKAVELI

All this union talk sure gets you ground guys panties all in a bunch doesn't it?
No, not really. I'm still an employee of Fedex and would likely stand to gain if a union drive for hourly employees was ever successful in one of the opcos, since it would likely tidal wave into the others. It just makes me laugh to read all this crap and not see any action on the front lines. The last visible union drive was in Brockton and look how well that worked out for them. :knockedout:

It's like when people post those anti-whatever images on Facebook. "I'm against domestic violence! but I'm not gonna do anything about it except post this photo and make a smartass comment; because anything more would require an investment of time, money and/or effort on my part!"

Actually you wouldn't have anything to gain unless you were part of the bargaining unit. Being a ground employee would exclude you from the express unit.

CJinx

Actually you wouldn't have anything to gain unless you were part of the bargaining unit. Being a ground employee would exclude you from the express unit.
I meant that any successful drive in express or whatever would likely light a fire under the butts of other opcos and would likely end up using the same external organizing body that the successful drive used. In other words; you blaze the trail, others would follow.

vantexan

It's not going to stop me from trying. Your attitude is exactly what got us where we are today. Collectively, all the vantexans out there keep telling themselves "No, it can't be done", so it never does get done. Fred has you where he wants you.

No, I thought it could be done in 2010 but the Democrats sold us out. And all the MFE's out there gloss that over rather than admit that the people who claim to care for the working man are sell-outs. They allowed the % needed for a vote to go to 50% too, so good luck getting that union.

vantexan

I meant that any successful drive in express or whatever would likely light a fire under the butts of other opcos and would likely end up using the same external organizing body that the successful drive used. In other words; you blaze the trail, others would follow.

Are you saying if others blaze the trail you will do something that requires an effort?

MAKAVELI

So your saying a union drive for express will be successful. Thanks for the encouraging words.

bbsam

Staff member
No, I thought it could be done in 2010 but the Democrats sold us out. And all the MFE's out there gloss that over rather than admit that the people who claim to care for the working man are sell-outs. They allowed the % needed for a vote to go to 50% too, so good luck getting that union.

if the Democrats sold you put, they sold you out to the Republicans.

MAKAVELI

I personally wouldn't want a vote unless we had 50% sign cards. When you have to organize on a national basis, you better know you have a majority on your side.

bbsam

Staff member
Just sayin that the Teamsters won't get involved for exactly the reason you gave. They don't think they have the numbers.

vantexan

if the Democrats sold you put, they sold you out to the Republicans.

But everyone knows the Republicans are anti-union. Our only chance to get a union in at Express was if the Democrats got control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency. They had 2 years to get it done but kept kicking the can down the road with Fred S's assistance. Bottom line, no chance to get a union in. But y'all go ahead and prove me wrong. Get that union in. Too late for me, but would still get a kick out of seeing it happen. I'd be willing to bet that it won't happen though.

vantexan

I personally wouldn't want a vote unless we had 50% sign cards. When you have to organize on a national basis, you better know you have a majority on your side.

But under the amended rules a union gets in with a simple majority of those who PARTICIPATE in the vote. Getting 50% to sign instead of 35% makes it much tougher to get to that vote.

MAKAVELI

But under the amended rules a union gets in with a simple majority of those who PARTICIPATE in the vote. Getting 50% to sign instead of 35% makes it much tougher to get to that vote.

Not in this case. 50% signed cards means a guaranteed victory. 35% is a crap shoot.