Why the 8 hour dispatch?

Because someone finally figured out they can make a little more money running more routes and paying less over time and having less service failures and 9.5 grievances
Or they jammed the overtime down the drivers throats so the 22.4 wouldn’t look so bad. Ups is the best accountants in the world and they just figured out they can save money putting drivers at a 9.5 dispatch. This company is playing everyone. From Jimmy Jr. to the bottom man.

vvv

They are getting harassed for "Over allowed". And I'm not kidding on it being as little as 5 minutes, either.

So where would they start with me, what would their approach be when I run 2+ over a day on average?
That I have to literally sprint up and down the street and drive with reckless abandon?
Maybe drive over peoples lawns and just toss the package from the cab stairs onto the porch....

Time to all grow a set and tell your crew in a nice way that that's the best you can do and are willing to do, and to get :censored2: if they don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

vvv

It's a nation wide corporate directive. What's your center manager's excuse?

Right now, if we go over 9.5, it's the end of the world.

The world therefore should have ended a few times this week. Ummmmmm, guess what? Yaaa......we're all still here and breathing. How about that!

tadpole

It's a nation wide corporate directive. What's your center manager's excuse?

Right now, if we go over 9.5, it's the end of the world.
Are you sure it’s nationwide? I work in Seattle and it doesn’t seem like we have this here. They don’t care about 9.5 unless we’re on the list.

Or they jammed the overtime down the drivers throats so the 22.4 wouldn’t look so bad. Ups is the best accountants in the world and they just figured out they can save money putting drivers at a 9.5 dispatch. This company is playing everyone. From Jimmy Jr. to the bottom man.
We have been running too few routes for too many years. You can only do so much.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

So where would they start with me, what would their approach be when I run 2+ over a day on average?
That I have to literally sprint up and down the street and drive with reckless abandon?
Maybe drive over peoples lawns and just toss the package from the cab stairs onto the porch....

Time to all grow a set and tell your crew in a nice way that that's the best you can do and are willing to do, and to get :censored2: if they don't like it.
If their like our center manager they will start with a virtual ride(osj i believe its called ) then you will receive a conference between you the mgr, and steward. They will produce 6 or so pages outlineing which of the 340 methods you have violated. Then per our new contract they can use tech exclusively to track you, and use progressive discipline. St least thats what they have been telling us since before the contract was voted on. The report is impressive and trust me 6 pages only covers the top 8 or so of all the methods you may in fact be violating and not aware of. Here's one for you just think how long does it take you to pull away from a stop once you hit stop compete. Did you according to the methods move out without delay. Breaks - did you take them within the appropriate time frame and for not less or more than the appropriate time? Did you chain your truck from the building to the first stop and from last stop to the building. If not its trackable by tech if your building has security cameras and that is now allowed under the technology and discipline section of the newly ratified contract. Its going to be interesting to see how these all go down at panel. ups may or may not have consulted council to see what they can legally do given over supervision

Last edited:
If their like our center manager they will start with a virtual ride(osj i believe its called ) then you will receive a conference between you the mgr, and steward. They will produce 6 or so pages outlineing which of the 340 methods you have violated. Then per our new contract they can use tech exclusively to track you, and use progressive discipline. St least thats what they have been telling us since before the contract was voted on. The report is impressive and trust me 6 pages only covers the top 8 or so of all the methods you may in fact be violating and not aware of. Here's one for you just think how long does it take you to pull away from a stop once you hit stop compete. Did you according to the methods move out without delay. Breaks - did you take them within the appropriate time frame and for not less or more than the appropriate time? Did you chain your truck from the building to the first stop and from last stop to the building. If not its trackable by tech if your building has security cameras and that is now allowed under the technology and discipline section of the newly ratified contract. Its going to be interesting to see how these all go down at panel. ups may or may not have consulted council to see what they can legally do given over supervision
Or maybe his supervisor could ride with him and try to fix the problem?

DOK

Why is UPS implementing a 8 hour dispatch now? So that we will be begging for hours during peak when they need them. They are employing psychology. Get a clue.

Which one is it? Do drivers at UPS want (need) the OT or not?

At my hub I would say 25% NEED the OT and this new dispatch has them like a deer in the headlights. They are now making $600/wk less than they were just a month ago. That's a $30k swing in income over 12 months. Drivers as little as 5 minutes over are being sent to the office and being talked to and set up for progressive discipline.

Two points:

1. People need to budget based on 40-hrs a week. They are living beyond their means and have gotten so that 50+ hrs a week of pay is expected.

2. UPS did pull the rug out from all of us. No warning for both the good and bad - I could have helped coach my kids basketball team. At the same time, imagine if your boss just one day came up and said I am cutting your pay by $30k / yr. I am sure you would have liked some notice so you can make adjustments.

No problem living off the 40 hour a week budget, the OT is nice for loading up the 401k and stock so you don’t have to work here until you can’t walk anymore.

Shift 2

I’m bored so don’t judge me but I did some math to see how much the company is saving by forcing 9.5 and it’s there killing it. A center with 100 top rate rpcds pays an average $125000 per driver a year working 55 hrs a week year round which is $12,500,000 that center pays out. If they take away the extra hr and 30 minuets they save $21177 a year per driver. Which saves $2,117,700 a year. The extra 1.5 hrs of OT from 6 drivers can now be given to a cover driver at $30.77 hr which after 9.5 hrs all week is $1650 or $85800 a year. There will be 16 cover drivers taking the extra it costing the company $1,372,800 a year. That’s saves that center $744,900 a year. I’m not sure how many centers or hubs there are across the country but if there a good 500 then that saves the company, $372,450,000 a year.

I’m bored so don’t judge me but I did some math to see how much the company is saving by forcing 9.5 and it’s there killing it. A center with 100 top rate rpcds pays an average $125000 per driver a year working 55 hrs a week year round which is $12,500,000 that center pays out. If they take away the extra hr and 30 minuets they save $21177 a year per driver. Which saves $2,117,700 a year. The extra 1.5 hrs of OT from 6 drivers can now be given to a cover driver at $30.77 hr which after 9.5 hrs all week is $1650 or $85800 a year. There will be 16 cover drivers taking the extra it costing the company $1,372,800 a year. That’s saves that center $744,900 a year. I’m not sure how many centers or hubs there are across the country but if there a good 500 then that saves the company, $372,450,000 a year.
You foegfo about the pension and all of the other benefits, extra package cars and the fuel and maintenance on them.

Shift 2

You foegfo about the pension and all of the other benefits, extra package cars and the fuel and maintenance on them.
I’m sure what ever they spend on that is already set aside so they don’t feel a difference when they do that. I actually like this 9.5 thing i thinks it’s cool to not be in a rush all the time while also seeing the guys that normally shuttle air for $12hr enjoy a decent paycheck for a change.

Shift 2

I’m sure what ever they spend on that is already set aside so they don’t feel a difference when they do that. I actually like this 9.5 thing i thinks it’s cool to not be in a rush all the time while also seeing the guys that normally shuttle air for $12hr enjoy a decent paycheck for a change.
I also think it’s cool that the company saves money while doing it I hope it’s the new norm but I’m sure it won’t last another 2 weeks

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I also think it’s cool that the company saves money while doing it I hope it’s the new norm but I’m sure it won’t last another 2 weeks
The biggest benefit is the hardest to put a dollar amount on. Wear and tear on our body’s....this time last year we had at least 10 out on comp plus a couple out on stress leave.

You add those savings both montetarlly and physical on top of the service improvements and I don’t think UPS will ever go back.

They’ve hired so many “non-peak” drivers that come January 15th they’ll need to drive something. You can’t have mass layoffs and work your drivers 12 hours a day all at the same time.

Fellas.....this the new UPS. It’s as they say....what was old is new again.

ManInBrown

Anyone who can’t live life at 40 hours per week it’s your own fault. This is the greatest job ever if we could work 40 hours. I was on a shift job last week and worked 8 every day. $1400 bucks to drive a shifter around the yard listening to music.

35years

Gravy route
Pension, health care, paid vacation and holidays, workers comp insurance, etc... over $50,000 per year before you pay the extra guy one penny in wages. Add an extra truck, facilities/ buildings etc....

Our District Manager told us flat out "time and 1/2 is far cheaper".

The problem is we have reached the limit of our workforce capacity at peak. The work simply won't get done before Christmas if we continued the same way we were. The economy is too strong and we are unable to fill temporary peak positions even with $100-$200 per week bonuses just for showing up. Target,Walmart, Amazon etc are competing for the same seasonal workforce.

The only solution was to fully staff our operations before peak. It is no surprise they did not implement this 6 months ago.

vvv

If I decided to take my breaks and lunch at appropriate time frames AND delivered all business before residential they'd have a bigger headache.
Yes I always chain up.
I don't walk or pull away like I'm in a hurry. Work and drive safely and correct. I get your points, but I've been doing things quite right for many many years, which is why I run far over my time.
If you all ran your routes very correctly you would be very far over as well. It can't be avoided.

Not sure what to say friend, I've had plenty of babysitters riding with me over the years (even a 3 day with the district or division guy, forget which one) checking on me. They get a much better idea of what I'm doing when they are out there with me than a virtual. All say I am doing a good job even when the report shows at least 1.5 over on a ride-a-long. So why don't they add that time I ask. Of course I know it will never happen. Just the same as they know I will never change the way I go about my day.