Has ORION made your trips shorter?

• No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
i can't speak to the rest of your local conditions, but this part is absolutely not true
You seem reasonable enough, and willing to provide input. What's the deal with the sliders (Am/Pm trace importance) on the Orion computer? Who sets the slide to what percentage and why? Why is it more and less on different days?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
You seem reasonable enough, and willing to provide input. What's the deal with the sliders (Am/Pm trace importance) on the Orion computer? Who sets the slide to what percentage and why? Why is it more and less on different days?
the ORION team is supposed to have set the parameters on each route when they deployed the center, with input from the PDS
the PDS is expected to adjust them as conditions warrant (changing territory, peak, etc)

it's been awhile since i took the training so i'm rusty here, but there is a sweet spot of AM/PM trace %; basically you want to move those sliders around to ensure there is just enough slack to take care of whatever special circumstances a route has, then let ORION do its thing for the rest

as to why it changes day to day, i'm not sure; either your PDS likes to fiddle a lot or your route changes just enough for ORION to pick up on different conditions that may not be optimal under your trace %
if anything big stands out consistently, i'd encourage you to bring it up to your PDS and hopefully he'll put in a couple minutes, or not, to have ORION work around it

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm fairly certain I could get someone off the street up to speed on a reduced dispatch within a week.

One of our on cars has told me that the newbies are the ones who normally have the higher trace percentages as, in his words, "they don't know any better".

If the trace is set up correctly I can see this being accurate. But unfortunately this isn't normally the case. When I broke my arm last year they had a guy run my route who was fresh off the street. To this day he still runs Orion. He doesn't know how to think for himself and call audibles as needed. We can run the same stops and I can do the route more efficiently and quicker than he can any day of the week.

Dr.Brownz

He's already been sent away to train twice. The fact is our time studies are :censored2:, haven't been updated in atleast 15 years and this guy doesn't know the area at all. Not only that he has no idea what the drivers job is like. Business per usual at UPS

Dr.Brownz

the ORION team is supposed to have set the parameters on each route when they deployed the center, with input from the PDS
the PDS is expected to adjust them as conditions warrant (changing territory, peak, etc)

it's been awhile since i took the training so i'm rusty here, but there is a sweet spot of AM/PM trace %; basically you want to move those sliders around to ensure there is just enough slack to take care of whatever special circumstances a route has, then let ORION do its thing for the rest

as to why it changes day to day, i'm not sure; either your PDS likes to fiddle a lot or your route changes just enough for ORION to pick up on different conditions that may not be optimal under your trace %
if anything big stands out consistently, i'd encourage you to bring it up to your PDS and hopefully he'll put in a couple minutes, or not, to have ORION work around it
How is the PDS supposed to know how to adjust those parameters if they have never done the driver job and never leave the office?

What you are describing is playing with numbers to make it look good for a report metric.

Box Ox

He's already been sent away to train twice. The fact is our time studies are :censored2:, haven't been updated in atleast 15 years and this guy doesn't know the area at all. Not only that he has no idea what the drivers job is like. Business per usual at UPS

I'm of the impression that new management hires are told that under their lord and savior ORION, the routes run themselves. They have to tell each other that to tow the line and cover their rears.

But since real world things still happen that planned day allowances don't/can't account for, they're baffled when there's deviation from it. Or when you try to tell them what's wrong with your plan. Because like you said, they don't understand the job. Their knowledge is limited to books and imperfect formulas.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How is the PDS supposed to know how to adjust those parameters if they have never done the driver job and never leave the office?

What you are describing is playing with numbers to make it look good for a report metric.
well considering there is no report or metric for these parameters, what you said is kinda pointless

look, your job is to follow the methods as safely and quickly as you can; the PDS's job is to interpret your results and adjust the parameters accordingly, up or down to get maximum performance with minimum service failures

on road experience can make this process faster and less painful, or it can impede it with bias, but one way or the other if your PDS is not a mongoloid, the results will present themselves

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
you don't get "sent away" to train on ORION dispatching, he was probably just going to some other management class; all the best ORION training (and it's not junk) is at his fingertips

also time studies aren't a thing anymore; the ORWM section does it all through satellite mapping, but that really has no bearing on how a dispatcher does things anyways, they should be going off your last 1-14-30 days of results, not time study crap

Box Ox

the PDS's job is to interpret your results and adjust the parameters accordingly, up or down to get maximum performance with minimum service failures

"Don't worry about driver feedback, Ted! If you could just Keyboard Cat that parameter slider into the correct position, the real world wouldn't be an issue anyway! If there's an ORION issue, it's you! Not the software's variable limitations! Now join us in the office for our ORION Gregorian Chant!"

oldngray

nowhere special
"Don't worry about driver feedback, Ted! If you could just Keyboard Cat that parameter slider into the correct position, the real world wouldn't be an issue anyway! If there's an ORION issue, it's you! Not the software's variable limitations! Now join us in the office for our ORION Gregorian Chant!"
monty-python-monks.gif

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
driver feedback has its place in the fire pit, right next to the grievances and bid lists lmao