Why? Why is it so important to put X amount of stops in helper DIAD?

onestoptogo

I have been using my helper for two weeks. I spent quite a bit of time training him on the Diad during the first week and I lost quite a bit of time. Now that he is getting better with the Diad and now knows most of the delivery locations - it is now starting to pay dividends. I just turn him loose with the hand truck with some stops while I'm off doing others. I can tell how he is doing by the messages coming back to my Diad about a package in my edd has been found in another manifest message. Using the helper Diad is only worth it if you are going to have the same helper with you the entire time during peak. Otherwise, it will cost you time.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Brown Army.......that's how I used my board also.........most of the time , I didn't take the "helper" board.......or left it in the DIAD rack.......if there was not a decent reason to use it, then it was unused..........if management insisted, I used it for my 1st 10 stops then dumped it in the back of the pkg. car

This little numbers game is a major inconvienence........and a total line of B.S., for all parties...let's see MGT. hourlies (union, and also some non-union).....and more than anyone, the owners of this company..that includes me

this reasoning for using a 2nd board, must equate to a more efficient use of available hours......or perhaps giving hrs. to the helper,(at a lower rate of $ / hr.) it's still a joke............if I was a major stock -holder in UPS I would question every practice they've instituted , they are a do "nothing " company

upsgrunt

Why is it 20 stops in some places, 31 in others, and 41 where I am?

Why not 19 or 47?

Who comes up with these numbers?

While I'm at it, we can't sheet business closed during the noon hour- fine and good, but now the lunch hour is 11:59 to 13:01.

kingOFchester

Its not hush hush. Has nothing to do with not sitting well with drivers. Its just dum.

Seein as you all already think management is stupid, there is no reason for adding to that....

Sorry if you feel that I think ALL management is stupid. I would not paint them with a broad brush, just as I wouldn't want the rank and file to be painted with a broad brush.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There is a reason. It's an absolutely stupid reason.

It adds zero business value.

Not sure more info is needed.
Thank you, P-man. Thank you for confirming that we aren't insane. Thank God, we have managers like you still left in this company. Thank you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I really don't see what the big deal is--if they want you to put 30 stops in the helper board then put 30 stops in the helper board. My helper put 75 stops and 100 packages in to his board yesterday. Most of those deliveries were made on his own, including deliveries to a medical office building with multiple stops. As was mentioned above, taking the time to train the helper pays huge dividends as we get deeper in to Peak.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
taking the time to train the helper pays huge dividends as we get deeper in to Peak.
Only if you have a helper for more than a few days, and only if he or she can grasp the diad and its complexities. The first helper I always got was trained. The others not so much, and the last ones not at all.

d

CharleyHustle

I've had 5 different helpers in the last 3 weeks, 4 of them it was their 1st day with UPS, the other was an extra driver who knew the DIAD. I trained all of them to use the DIAD with middling success. If they want me to train the helper to use the board, I do. As a result, Ive always have stops in the board and they are all the stops the helper delivers. I figure I made close to $200 training helpers so far this year. I get done late whether I have a helper or not, trained or not. The one thing I have learned is the more stops you get off with a helper the more stops you get the next day, so I just roll with it and move on, give me more helpers to train so I make more doing less.

rocket man

Sorry if you feel that I think ALL management is stupid. I would not paint them with a broad brush, just as I wouldn't want the rank and file to be painted with a broad brush.[/QUOTE HOW about we are as a company all good and all suck it depends what day it is, any day ending with a (y) manergers are bad, any day ending with a( y) drivers are good. and sunday dont count we are all good. i liked 3 on roads all moved on one i liked bustin his chops and one i really respected for area knowledge and being fair, the other one was just a good person area knowledge and knew it was a nutty system and admitted it . he was good.

AssistantSanta

Why is it 20 stops in some places, 31 in others, and 41 where I am?

Why not 19 or 47?

Who comes up with these numbers?
I feel the same about signs here. Around here, there are signs in stores that say "if you look younger than (26, 27,30, or at Wal-Mart its 40), we check ID" as while the legal age to buy alcohol is 21. Then, there are some stores that check ID regardless of how old you look to curb drunken bums from coming in for booze.

UPSGUY72

I feel the same about signs here. Around here, there are signs in stores that say "if you look younger than (26, 27,30, or at Wal-Mart its 40), we check ID" as while the legal age to buy alcohol is 21. Then, there are some stores that check ID regardless of how old you look to curb drunken bums from coming in for booze.

In my state the law says you are suppose to check the ID for everyone that buys Alcohol or tobacco no matter how old the person looks.

Anyways how is checking the ID of a BUM going to stop him from drinking unless he doesn't have one.

AssistantSanta

In my state the law says you are suppose to check the ID for everyone that buys Alcohol or tobacco no matter how old the person looks.

Anyways how is checking the ID of a BUM going to stop him from drinking unless he doesn't have one.

Many bums apparently don't have an ID for whatever reason. It's not so much to stop them from drinking as much as keeping them from coming to the store. When they realize that no ID = no booze here, they'll go somewhere else.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a reason. It's an absolutely stupid reason.

It adds zero business value.

Not sure more info is needed.

With all due respect, P-man...your answer is a cop-out.

You guys give us lengthy PCM's about the way you want us to work with these helpers. You guys give us PCMs about every new service offering, every new company policy, and every new procedure we are supposed to follow. There is a reason for everything, and there is usually a new acronym or a buzz word to go along with it.

If you want us to buy in to what you are preaching, you owe it to us to be honest about why you want us to do these things. "Because we said so" is a load of crap....if you are going to make an already difficult job even harder by giving us additional hoops to jump through, then the least you can do is give us some sort of a rational explanation for what you are asking of us.

And if it is as stupid and pointless as you say it is, then where is the harm in being honest about it? Perhaps if enough people were aware of why this idiotic rule is in place, then the person or persons who came up with it would be forced to confront the stupidity of it. Mindlessly following pointless edicts without questioning why only works if you are a lemming who doesnt mind going off the edge of a cliff.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, let's suppose your business manager disclosed the real reason behind the number of stops in the helper board edict at Monday's PCM. I'm curious--what difference would it make? Call me a lemming but this is one battle that I don't care to fight. My helper put 75 stops and 94 packages in to his board yesterday. The only problem we had was the board "lost it's voice" during the day and he had to look to make sure each package had been scanned. It's not that hard to put 30 or more stops in to the helper DIAD.

CharleyHustle

The speculation I heard was that in preparation for the potential strike in 2013 the company wants a certain percentage of potential replacements to be familiar with the DIAD. I am a little worried about this, I'm 54, my helper is 22 and I admit he can work circles around me.:happy2: