Why would you leave your route for a new one?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Signed a bid for a new route due to the fact I have been on the same route for 7 years and getting bored and tired of the same old routine. So my question is what are some good reasons to leave your current route for a new one. I know many of you are going to say because it's easier or more driving. Just want some insight before I pull the trigger, I have only been on one route my entire driving career so any suggestions help.

DOK

Signed a bid for a new route due to the fact I have been on the same route for 7 years and getting bored and tired of the same old routine. So my question is what are some good reasons to leave your current route for a new one. I know many of you are going to say because it's easier or more driving. Just want some insight before I pull the trigger, I have only been on one route my entire driving career so any suggestions help.

Bounced around routes for the first 10 years, not by choice, but because I was bumped. Been on my present route for 20, I like the, consistentency, which is being undermined by our dispatcher and Orion but that’s another story. I think good reasons to leave would include, bad time study, you need a change of scenery, higher seniority driver retiring etc

BigBrown87

Bounced around routes for the first 10 years, not by choice, but because I was bumped. Been on my present route for 20, I like the, consistentency, which is being undermined by our dispatcher and Orion but that’s another story. I think good reasons to leave would include, bad time study, you need a change of scenery, higher seniority driver retiring etc
Time study is not an issue, I have no problem running scratch. I do 40 to 50 bussiness, apartments and 60 or more residential stops along with 21 pick ups. I guess jumping around from business to residential and pickups is wearing on me. The new route is commercial and pick ups in a box van that's a double trip. More drive time to and from building is what appeals to me and no residential stops.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Time study is not an issue, I have no problem running scratch. I do 40 to 50 bussiness, apartments and 60 or more residential stops along with 21 pick ups. I guess jumping around from business to residential and pickups is wearing on me. The new route is commercial and pick ups in a box van that's a double trip. More drive time to and from building is what appeals to me and no residential stops.
Beware of the double trip. My route doubles sometimes and it can be annoying to go back to the building and see all your doosh bag management team an extra time every day.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Those routes are the best.
I hated delivering to residential addresses.
The route I retired on had 4 hours of pickups.

BigBrown87

I had basically the same route for 25 years. I liked being able to do the route blindfolded ------------or hung over-----------or both
It is nice not having to map book or GPS stops for sure, I have already been warned by other drivers to not come in hung over better to just call in that day and work off the hang over then struggle all day wishing I did.

BigBrown87

Beware of the double trip. My route doubles sometimes and it can be annoying to go back to the building and see all your doosh bag management team an extra time every day.
Other then seeing management is the double trip bad as in regards to time in rushing to get back to area?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Other then seeing management is the double trip bad as in regards to time in rushing to get back to area?
Sometimes it can feel like a lot of pressure to get back to the building. Swapping trucks gets old too. You’ll forget your drink, tobacco or radio in the first truck and ruin he second half of your day.

rod

Retired 22 years
It is nice not having to map book or GPS stops for sure, I have already been warned by other drivers to not come in hung over better to just call in that day and work off the hang over then struggle all day wishing I did.

I can remember working a few days I would have probably still failed a DUI test at noon or so. It was stupid of me but we all do stupid things when we are younger---------and some times when we are older too.

Indecisi0n

I can remember working a few days I would have probably still failed a DUI test at noon or so. It was stupid of me but we all do stupid things when we are younger---------and some times when we are older too.
Let's do some stupid stuff this weekend?

Packmule

Biggest reason I changed routes was because of the wear and tear on my body. Knees specifically. Went from a high stop count metro after 24 years to a rural route the last 9 before I retired. Wanted to wear out trucks instead of knees.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Try a route. If you don't like it go back to the old one.

Some guys hate all residential routes. I'm one the other side, less pick-ups, less stress.