Will I get ripped working as a loader?

robot

Has A Large Member
After 911 I was bumped back into the hub from package car for about a year. I worked an average of 9 hours a day loading trailers and working the preload loading package cars. I went from my package car weight of 155 to 122! I didn't get "ripped". I ended up looking malnourished!

When I came back to package car the first thing my on road said was "What happened to your ass?!"

A new on road supe had to give me my ride along and she started griping that my uniform was too baggy and that I looked like a "thug"...

Re-Raise

After 911 I was bumped back into the hub from package car for about a year. I worked an average of 9 hours a day loading trailers and working the preload loading package cars. I went from my package car weight of 155 to 122! I didn't get "ripped". I ended up looking malnourished!

When I came back to package car the first thing my on road said was "What happened to your ass?!"

A new on road supe had to give me my ride along and she started griping that my uniform was too baggy and that I looked like a "thug"...

I think you are dying. How can you do this job at 122? Are you a guy or girl and how tall are you?

As far as losing weight on the preload most of the preloaders at my center have gained weight.

I attribute this to the fact that most started in their 20 s when it is easier to stay thin and now that they are over 30 they are gaining weight.

Re-Raise

My wife is about 5 ' 8" and 115 and I am not sure she could lift my hand cart out of the truck without giving me that, are you going to get this or not look.

robot

Has A Large Member
I think you are dying. How can you do this job at 122? Are you a guy or girl and how tall are you?

As far as losing weight on the preload most of the preloaders at my center have gained weight.

I attribute this to the fact that most started in their 20 s when it is easier to stay thin and now that they are over 30 they are gaining weight.

I'm a male 5'8". I was in my 20's back then. I think the stress from the paycut and physical labor was getting to me. Maybe I was dying!

No worries! I'm at a plump "feeder" weight of 180 now haha!:happy-very:

clueless

Sorry I should have clarified ny situation more. I'm not really fat, I'm 5'11" - 165lbs but my arms are skinny, and I just dont look good or muscular at all. Has anyone been in the same situation? Will loading make me look stronger, or just skinner?
Just eat well like calories to burn, protein to replace and other intakes of a healthy nature to substain a track towards a healthier looking body.

Very good points Orly. If OP is not looking to lose weight, but to actually avoid getting skinnier and to add muscle, he needs:

1. protein to build muscle--protein is what muscle is composed of. Nitrogen retention is required for muscle growth. Nitrogen loss is what leads to muscle loss (catabolic state)--you accomplish an anabolic (muscle-building) state via nitrogen retention and this is done by consuming sufficient protein for muscle repair. Aim for 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight.

and

2. Adequate calories to prevent weightloss. Without sufficient calories, your body may cannibalize its muscle tissue for energy--especially if you are already low in bodyfat. So getting enough calories daily will spare your muscle from being used for fuel.

If you're not seeing the development in your arms like you want from lifting packages, then consider exercises specifically targeted for the areas you want to build (bicep curls, hammer curls for biceps, tricep kickback and extensions for triceps, shoulder presses, lateral raises, front raises for shoulders). Here is a directory of muscles and exercises for each muscle group as well as short video clips showing the exercises:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

washington57

I'm a male 5'8". I was in my 20's back then. I think the stress from the paycut and physical labor was getting to me. Maybe I was dying!

No worries! I'm at a plump "feeder" weight of 180 now haha!:happy-very:

I started this job 150 pounds when I was 18 size 28. 11 years later 220 pounds and size 32. Sorting and saturday air have put on pounds and pounds of muscle.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
5'10 150 since I was 16. Now 32. In the best shape of my life so I've had some success!

My best advice is to do your cardio, lift weights and do pull-ups/situps etc before going to work, then eating loads of protein and vegetables throughout the day. Light dinner though!

Don't worry about your body eating away your muscle tissue. What you want to do is eat a good amount of calories and protein when you wake up. Breakfast and Lunch are the two biggies. Normally your body starts "eating itself" in the morning as fuel.

I've had success just keeping a normal diet and exercise. A normal diet is around 4 servings of fruit and vegetable a day and most of the protein/calories well before "dinner time".

My dinner usually consists of what most people eat for breakfast; a bagel, milk, an apple, cereal and usually some type of mixed vegetables like carrots and broccoli. ( the only non-breakfast type food)

themidge

Didn't read the thread but as you adjust you will naturally start eating more to maintain homeostasis, it's very easy to lose weight doing this. I am a bodybuilder and I do not notice muscle building effects but I would imagine if you are inadequately strong you will gain enough to accomplish your job.