Will there be a national strike at UPS?

AKCoverMan

You and your cult are the ones dividing the country . Before there was disagreements but what was best for the country was the prime motivation. Now it is just a football game and all that matters is who wins or loses.
With all due respect my brother I am part of no cult.
I am sorry all you can see is party cheerleading.

Trucker Clock

You are wrong.
They did not all vote on  the contract.
They voted on their individual contracts.

You're spinning this.

It was the exact same contract for all 12 Unions. They all voted on the same contract. 8 Unions accepted the contract, 4 turned it down. Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen all accepted it, SMART-TD rejected it because one of their divisions turned it down.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It was the exact same contract for all 12 Unions. They all voted on the same contract. 8 Unions accepted the contract, 4 turned it down. Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen all accepted it, SMART-TD rejected it because one of their divisions turned it down.
Interesting, I heard different.

Can you link me to this single contract that covers 12 unions? I'd love to see the details.

worldwide

The only way Congress/President could impact our ability to strike is there is legislation similar to the Railway Labor Act of 1926. As of now the act only applies to railroads and airlines. That doesn't mean that entities like UPS can't be controlled in that manner. But the RLA (1926) would have to be amended, or a totally new legislation passed that mirrors it. I'm sure it's possible that Congress could do that. But there's nothing already in existence like there was for the railroads. Yet,
Keep in mind that UPS Airlines is the 8th largest airline in the US in terms of fleet size and 3rd largest cargo airline in the world. I don't think the RLA calls out that it applies to just passenger airlines. UPS moves too much of the US GDP to allow any interruption in service. Any administration (D or R) will not allow a strike to hurt the already fragile economy. It's likely that UPS would find a way to spin that UPS Airlines is a major and critical component of the overall organization (which it is) so the RLA would apply to all of UPS.

Non liberal

Keep in mind that UPS Airlines is the 8th largest airline in the US in terms of fleet size and 3rd largest cargo airline in the world. I don't think the RLA calls out that it applies to just passenger airlines. UPS moves too much of the US GDP to allow any interruption in service. Any administration (D or R) will not allow a strike to hurt the already fragile economy. It's likely that UPS would find a way to spin that UPS Airlines is a major and critical component of the overall organization (which it is) so the RLA would apply to all of UPS.
If that is the case then no political party gets to claim they are for the American worker… just sayin.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
As a follow up, this seems to show your are mistaken. They are separate agreements.

worldwide

If that is the case then no political party gets to claim they are for the American worker… just sayin.
Well, if you believe that any political party or politician is for the American worker, you are deluding yourself. They are out to enrich themselves, their family members and special friends and will say anything to get your vote and stay in power.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1670285344674.png

Non liberal

Well, if you believe that any political party or politician is for the American worker, you are deluding yourself. They are out to enrich themselves, their family members and special friends and will say anything to get your vote and stay in power.
Oh, I know. However the democrats get all the unions support.

HyperBrn

Yes.. but if Those In Charge decide that having a strike at UPS on their watch would not Look Good For Them.. then that’s exactly what will happen, and quickly. The staffers will work overtime writing up new legislatio, the right committee chairs will get said bills advanced to the floor and the speakers will get votes called for.

The Railroads held the line because they were convinced that the Government wouldn’t let it get to a strike.

The fact is our position come next year was just weakened.
I completely agree with your final statement. But I was just answering the concerns of the earlier post.

HyperBrn

A vast majority of the RR workers voted to accept the new contract. Only a few holdouts threatened to hold the country hostage. This was a win win for everyone. I wish my Local had a 7 day paid sick day policy. No work, no pay.
Incorrect.

A vast majority of the UNIONS ratified the government negotiated deal. But the remaining unions that REJECTED the deal consisted of the LARGEST of the unions involved in the negotiation.

Road Dog 56

Will there be a national strike at UPS?

I found this a thought-provoking article and would suggest y'all pay close attention to the IBT's involvement in the railroad dispute. There are 57k Teamsters involved, e.g., nearly half of all the rail workers affected.

It's time to do what we can to bolster rank and file organization and strength. We need to be prepared to hold O'Brien and Zuckerman accountable to their promises.
Yes.