Will there be a national strike at UPS?

Pullman Brown

I understand what you are saying. But the company doesn't care about giving us drivers what we want. They will do everything they can going forward to make the driving jobs like Amazon's... crappy wages for full-timers and more PVD's. UNLESS the Union can force the company to give us what we want.

Where are you getting your information? Do you have a direct line to Carol Tome?

AKCoverMan

If the teamsters strike, which may happen, then I see Carol preparing to do whatever she can and however she can to make this the last time the teamsters strike UPS. I see her going full forward into trying to get the majority of drivers to cross the line and hire outside workers. I do think she wants to have a fair negotiation and increase pay for PTers. However, if UPS is struck to "stick it to them man". I see her sticking it back way harder. While the teamsters striking UPS will hurt UPS, without the dues and initiation fees and Health benefit money and Pension money. The teamsters will go broke.
The Teamsters only out dues and initiation fees. Pension and health contributions go to trusts for members not to the union.

Teamsters deliver $100 Billion of revenue a year to ups. That’s two billionish per week! No way they can bring enough people to cover even a tenth of that in the current labor market. They have a lot of incentive to come to agreement.

AKCoverMan

But the company doesn't care about giving us drivers what we want.
No.. but they DO care about the money spigot getting turned off. $2bln a week drops off to maybe $10million a week if they are lucky. They are bleeding red ink immediately if we walk. It’s not like ups is up against the wall facing bankruptcy they can give us what we want and keep the money friend-friend-friend-flowing!

100%

Who at UPS is telling you this? Your center manager, your ORS?

They don't even know what UPS plans to do next month let alone what they plan to do with this contract.

I'm not saying you're one of these people but it makes me laugh how many people think they center manager is high up in the company and is in on decision making. A center manager is lower than a store manager of Mc Donald's. They have very little power to make decisions. They can't hire anyone or decide how many routes go out and truth be told don't even have the power to actually fire someone. They need to reach out to labor to ask permission because 90% of the time they screw it up. Lol
Seriously what are you talking about? Company actions show they want a strike. There’s no hidden meaning behind that and no clue where you got center manager from? Carol says hello.

beentheredonethat

The Teamsters only out dues and initiation fees. Pension and health contributions go to trusts for members not to the union.

Teamsters deliver $100 Billion of revenue a year to ups. That’s two billionish per week! No way they can bring enough people to cover even a tenth of that in the current labor market. They have a lot of incentive to come to agreement.
100 Billion in revenue is total of UPS revenue, including all of our other offerings such as Intl, supply chain, brokerage etc. These are areas the teamsters are not related too. I don't think we'd have to hire that many. The lion's share of people live paycheck to paycheck. Too many people in their 20's and 30's and even 40's don't have a sizable emergency fund. Too many people have a large mortgage, and expensive payments for their cars, tuition to save\pay for their kids etc. The people most vociferous are the older hard core teamsters who while talking tough, also is taking 2-4 weeks of vacation during the beginning of August, so while they are preaching solidarity, they aren't losing one paycheck from UPS since they already received it as a vacation check. That's what the high seniority people did in 97. They also are at the point where their house is paid off and they can afford to miss paychecks. A strike will hurt UPS but it will also hurt a lot of UPSers, both union and non-union. If a strike last a long time let's say 13 weeks. How many people will be in serious financial trouble? I think that Carol will try to offer a good benefit and pay package. However, I see her being ruthless if the teamsters strike. Just my opinion. As to the pension and health contribution going to trusts, fair enough. What happens to those trusts when they aren't infused with money from UPS? they will run out of money and not afford to pay the bills. Some supplements get money based on "hours Paid" per week with a max of 40 hours. So if a strike occurs, those funds will permanently lose money coming into them. Yet, they still have their obligations to pay. As it is, most union pension funds are underfunded by a sizable margin. Imagine with income drying up.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
100 Billion in revenue is total of UPS revenue, including all of our other offerings such as Intl, supply chain, brokerage etc. These are areas the teamsters are not related too. I don't think we'd have to hire that many. The lion's share of people live paycheck to paycheck. Too many people in their 20's and 30's and even 40's don't have a sizable emergency fund. Too many people have a large mortgage, and expensive payments for their cars, tuition to save\pay for their kids etc. The people most vociferous are the older hard core teamsters who while talking tough, also is taking 2-4 weeks of vacation during the beginning of August, so while they are preaching solidarity, they aren't losing one paycheck from UPS since they already received it as a vacation check. That's what the high seniority people did in 97. They also are at the point where their house is paid off and they can afford to miss paychecks. A strike will hurt UPS but it will also hurt a lot of UPSers, both union and non-union. If a strike last a long time let's say 13 weeks. How many people will be in serious financial trouble? I think that Carol will try to offer a good benefit and pay package. However, I see her being ruthless if the teamsters strike. Just my opinion. As to the pension and health contribution going to trusts, fair enough. What happens to those trusts when they aren't infused with money from UPS? they will run out of money and not afford to pay the bills. Some supplements get money based on "hours Paid" per week with a max of 40 hours. So if a strike occurs, those funds will permanently lose money coming into them. Yet, they still have their obligations to pay. As it is, most union pension funds are underfunded by a sizable margin. Imagine with income drying up.
Who :censored2:ing cares about them

542thruNthru

Good bc there isn’t anything that’s been proposed that isn’t unreasonable. Especially when the company made more money than they had in all 3 previous contracts combined. Like I said, UPS will settle.

Seriously what are you talking about? Company actions show they want a strike. There’s no hidden meaning behind that and no clue where you got center manager from? Carol says hello.
Wait which one is it? The company will settle or the company is pushing for a strike.

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
2023 is the year where UPS will strand up and fights. No more of the horse directing the ship. This will allow UPS to grow in profit while revenues settle down.

More money….
More MIP..

#PT Sup United

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
2023 is the year where UPS will strand up and fights. No more of the horse directing the ship. This will allow UPS to grow in profit while revenues settle down.

More money….
More MIP..

#PT Sup United
7667C61F-0466-470B-B582-1EFB8CB964CB.gif

100%

Wait which one is it? The company will settle or the company is pushing for a strike.
Why do these look like two different things to you? They are the same thing. Pushing for a strike and they will settle. You think they won’t settle after we walk? Cmon man

TeltBender

A family member works at UPS, he is non union. Told me Management are not allowed vacation from august 1-14. They will call our bluff. Carol came from anti union Home Depot. I don’t know what to do, if I strike, I don’t want him to be fired for my actions, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

kforte36

Most hourlies don’t realize this or dont care to realize but center managers are like pond scum in ups hierarchy. They spend half their day on conference calls getting reamed out by important people. And ORS lolz a half a step above a preloader. No one should listen to anything either say with regards to a strike.
How many hours do your ORS's work per day?

Thebrownblob

A family member works at UPS, he is non union. Told me Management are not allowed vacation from august 1-14. They will call our bluff. Carol came from anti union Home Depot. I don’t know what to do, if I strike, I don’t want him to be fired for my actions, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.
He won’t be. And he has no idea what her bluff is..