Will we go on strike if contract is voted down

browned out

No way. They just authorized a 2 billion dollar stock buy back. If we get an improved offer; maybe they only will be able to buy back a billion dollars worth of stock. This offer is so bad the next offer will still save them a ton of money.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
There's no need to strike. That's why you start negotiating early. There's more than 9 months left on this contract. More than enough time to actually improve over 9.5 language, protect 8 hour req, and increase pension benefits that have lost 60% of their buying power since 1997. For a company like UPS that has made over 1 BILLION dollars in PROFIT for every 3 months for the last 2 years, I think it won't be very hard for them to come up with a more appropriate offer.:cool: You can't believe they would give their best offer first do you?

tieguy

Banned
No way. They just authorized a 2 billion dollar stock buy back. If we get an improved offer; maybe they only will be able to buy back a billion dollars worth of stock. This offer is so bad the next offer will still save them a ton of money.

UPS always has buy backs going on.

The more i think about it the more I'm hoping you folks vote down the offer so I can get my 6 billion back.

browned out

UPS always has buy backs going on.

The more i think about it the more I'm hoping you folks vote down the offer so I can get my 6 billion back.

The 6 billion is an investment that will pay for itself in spades.

If the 6 billion was going to hurt UPS and it share holders; Do you think they still would be buying back the 2 billion dollars worth of stock? You buy back stock because you believe it is undervalued.

I this contract passes; watch UPS keep buying back billions worth and if the stock price still is stagnant; watch em take it back private.

tieguy

Banned

maybe , maybe not. All depends on whether CS continues to spiral downward. If CS rebounds to good health then UPS lost the gamble and lost the 6 billion

If the 6 billion was going to hurt UPS and it share holders; Do you think they still would be buying back the 2 billion dollars worth of stock? You buy back stock because you believe it is undervalued.

individuals do , companies buy it back to bring up the value or to use for stock awards.

I this contract passes; watch UPS keep buying back billions worth and if the stock price still is stagnant; watch em take it back private

very , very doubtfull.

browned out

maybe , maybe not. All depends on whether CS continues to spiral downward. If CS rebounds to good health then UPS lost the gamble and lost the 6 billion

individuals do , companies buy it back to bring up the value or to use for stock awards. A ha 2 billion more dollars worth of stock awards and options. Good for you

I this contract passes; watch UPS keep buying back billions worth and if the stock price still is stagnant; watch em take it back private

very , very doubtfull.

Cezanne

Let us quit this stupid talk, there will be no strike if this contract is voted down. Does anybody remember the current contract does not expire till 1 August 2008. That 6 billion withdraw liability buyout is a done deal between the Central States trust and UPS, what came first the chicken or the egg, think about it. If UPS wants to continue to remain in the Central States trust after January "08" the liability price tag goes up, how much who knows, they have professionals that figure that stuff out.

Also try to remember that it is the Feds that will stepping in if this issue is not resolved, and I am guessing both the company and the union does not want them snooping around in their dealings over this pension and health and welfare fiasco.

tieguy

Banned
Let us quit this stupid talk, there will be no strike if this contract is voted down. Does anybody remember the current contract does not expire till 1 August 2008. That 6 billion withdraw liability buyout is a done deal between the Central States trust and UPS, what came first the chicken or the egg, think about it. If UPS wants to continue to remain in the Central States trust after January "08" the liability price tag goes up, how much who knows, they have professionals that figure that stuff out.

Also try to remember that it is the Feds that will stepping in if this issue is not resolved, and I am guessing both the company and the union does not want them snooping around in their dealings over this pension and health and welfare fiasco.

not trying to scare anyone but when it gets to the point where the feds step in, permanent damage will have been done to our business.

2Slow

not trying to scare anyone but when it gets to the point where the feds step in, permanent damage will have been done to our business.

This is the real power of the Union. Give us a fair deal or we will damage the business. Should we want to put UPS out of business? No, that would be stupid. But those of us with the time know that UPS does not give their best offer first, ever.

Let the Feds step in I say....

I voted no. If it comes to a strike vote, I will vote yes.

diesel96

It's amazing, what ever happened to "lets protect and improve our part time brothers".....You do realize the attitude shared by the author of this thread is throwing the lower senority part timers under the bus. A "no vote" and the threat of a strike looming is just what the doctor ordered for our competitors who are salivating at the opportunity and are more capable of handling UPS volume than in 97'. And a volume decrease equals layoffs and Zero progression for those expecting to move into full time positions.Then you turn to them and ask them to vote for their own damnation.

tieguy

Banned
This is the real power of the Union. Give us a fair deal or we will damage the business. Should we want to put UPS out of business? No, that would be stupid. But those of us with the time know that UPS does not give their best offer first, ever.

Let the Feds step in I say....

I voted no. If it comes to a strike vote, I will vote yes.

If you think you are somehow immune to the consequences of a strike then you really are too slow.

2Slow

If you think you are somehow immune to the consequences of a strike then you really are too slow.

None of us have immunity, not one.

However,
Labor relations in general and strikes in particular are a very high stakes game of chicken...
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'll play chicken if it comes to it.

UPS did not give us the best offer they knew they could afford.
10 years ago, we struck, and then got a much better contract than their "take it or leave it" offer. Have they made money in the last 10 years?

Bring on the Chicken!

dcdriver

nations capital
if voted down, ups will offer signing bonus $1000 ft $500 pt $$ then the pt will vote yes contract will pass then pt will always take the money they only make $8 and hour to start.