WM Employee Dies After Getting Getting Trampled By BF Shoppers

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27955316/

NEW YORK - A Wal-Mart worker was killed Friday after an "out of control" throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains broke down the doors at a suburban store and knocked him to the ground, police said.
At least four other people, including a woman eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.
Nassau police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the store doors at the mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the man to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," said Nassau police spokesman Lt. Michael Fleming. He described the scene as "utter chaos."
Shoppers stepped over man
Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help the man were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said. Witnesses said that even as the worker lay on the ground, shoppers streamed into the store, stepping over him.
Kimberly Cribbs, who witnessed the stampede, said shoppers were acting like "savages."
"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling 'I've been on line since yesterday morning,'" she said. "They kept shopping."
The 34-year-old man was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., police said. The exact cause of death has not been determined. He was later identfied as Jdimytai Damour of Jamaica, Queens.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital, where she and the baby were reported to be OK, said police Sgt. Anthony Repalone. At least three other people were taken to hospitals with minor injuries.
Criminal charges possible
Police said criminal charges were possible in the case, but Fleming said it would be difficult to identify individual shoppers. Authorities were reviewing surveillance video.
Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.
"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," said Dan Fogleman, a company spokesman. "At this point, facts are still being assembled and we are working closely with the Nassau County Police as they investigate what occurred."
Shoppers around the country line up early outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it has historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think it is sick. these stores should not allow these people to camp there all night waiting for the stupid doors to open, offer 5 of something at a sale price, it was bound to happen. Just the sheer number of people in one area with lots of cash, etc.
I wont shop when a store is that crowded. I dont care if there are deals. I cringed just going to the grocery store today. Everything im getting Ill get on line, or already got.
I found my hubby a 3 tier craftsman tool box, at a small Sears hdwre store that just opened, and I just sent him to get it, good, mark that one of the old list. (and it was much nicer and prettier than the one he was eying) There was no crowd. Merry Christmas to all.

rod

Retired 22 years
How would you stop those crazy Wal-mart shoppers? I don't think you could clear them out with a fire hose:angry:

Big Babooba

It was a stampede. If any of the shoppers fell, they would have been goners too. I think that all these "Black Friday" promotions are going too far. It never was like this when I was a kid. My daughter works for JC Penney. She had to be at work for 2 AM this morning because the store was opening at 4AM.:angry:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We are killing and trampling one another to death so that we can save $25 on a piece of Chinese plastic crap.

Merry Christmas.

over9five

Staff member
I don't understand what kind of people get to a store 4 hours before it opens to be part of a mob!!!

I hate crowds.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what I was reading this morning in the paper and online the WalMart employee was actually a temp who had been hired just for the holidays. The authorities are reviewing the security tape trying to identify who may have actually done this but they really don't have much hope of being able to do so.

I sure hope the $400 TV was worth it.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Next year Wal-Mart employees to don riot gear? I hope they buy US made, if not they'll have the same quality as those foreign toys.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
From what I was reading this morning in the paper and online the WalMart employee was actually a temp who had been hired just for the holidays. The authorities are reviewing the security tape trying to identify who may have actually done this but they really don't have much hope of being able to do so.

I sure hope the $400 TV was worth it.
Upstate, what I heard was the guy was from another dept and came in to help with security at the front door. It's funny (not literally) how strories get changed around. I hope they can press charges against all those involved. It is such a tragedy to have something like this happen.

rod

Retired 22 years
Upstate, what I heard was the guy was from another dept and came in to help with security at the front door. It's funny (not literally) how strories get changed around. I hope they can press charges against all those involved. It is such a tragedy to have something like this happen.

I will bet anything that no charges will ever be filed---everyone will just say that they were "pushed from behind" :angry: