Women Drivers

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I tell them I do my best---that's all they need to hear. They ride with me-no problem. I am safe, uninjured and accident free. They leave me alone. Look---I cannot COUNT the # of Sups I have gone thru----they come and go, you will still be there!

GO SLOW!!!!!! I was on on-road in Denver during our first AND second blizzards at Christmas '06. The day after Christmas, I told my driver, "I have to pay you a compliment on your driving." He looked at me sideways. I told him, "I just wanted you to know I've never felt safer in a moving vehicle in the snow than I did the other day." Already a very humble man, he was at a loss for words. We talked a little about his "normal" pace even before that and he told me he'd never had an at-fault accident. His boss would get him on him for not moving a little faster and all he said was, "Hey, I get the job done with no accidents OR injuries." He's been a friend/t driver for 12 or 13 years, I think. He'll make Circle of Honor if he lasts that long!!! I might do the helper thing again this year and if I do, it'll be with that driver OR the guy right next to him. I was thoroughly impressed with both men's professionalism. UPS drivers are INCREDIBLE people!!! -Rocky

diesel96

upslady said:
And that is another thing that makes my center manager mad he told me it is irresponsible of me to ride horses since I could get hurt.. I told him I could get hurt doing anything and it might as well be doing something I enjoyed.

Don't even let your center manager go there. Whats next, UPS tells it's proud military reserve personal and Olyimpic or Amatuered sponsored personal that your extra cirricular activities are too dangeruos and irresponsible? We once had a driver turned on-road supervisor that moonlighted as a local pro werstler. I did have a center manager tell me I was irresponsible on my motorcycle,but I guessed I deserved it buy defacing HIS parking lot with a lenghty burnout strip.You should ride that horse to work one day in protest.Maybe offer to run a few airs with AJ like the ole pony express.

ulcards

Being a female UPS driver I am interested in finding out how many other women are on this forum.
Curious to how long you have been driving what type of route. How are you treated by your coworkers. How many women drivers in your building.
Just curious what it is like for other women drivers across the U.S.
I've been a driver for 20 years (12years pkg car/8years feeders). I love feeders. I would never want to do pkg cars again. I have a city route (5to6 stops) daily. I'm treated well by my coworkers. The only problem I see at my hub is insiders keeping their senority when they switch jobs. The outsiders hate that. Oh well!!!!

browned_out

:thumbup1: In my 18 yrs with the company, I have had the pleasure of working with alot of really great women drivers. Keep up the good work ladies!!!! Hopefully will all retire with healthy minds & bodies.

helenofcalifornia

ALL drivers should never look at the WOR for the previous day. I just look at the first column for hours paid to confirm that. Otherwise, if I look at SPH and my over/under, I am always comparing myself to other drivers and end up feeling bad because I am 30 years older than some of the other drivers and the spring in my step is long gone.

govols019

You smell that?
And that is another thing that makes my center manager mad he told me it is irresponsible of me to ride horses since I could get hurt.

I have one that feels the same way about me racing. He doesn't care about me. He just doesn't want to lose a warm body to put in a truck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Silliness I say. You could get killed driving to work, and the likelihood of you getting hurt on the job, is far greater than a night at the track, or a day on horseback.
I basically dont tell anyone what I do in my spare time....Or they would tell me I live too dangerously also. :tongue_sm

Sammie

Look Out! Estrogen Behind the Wheel!

(Since we're on the topic of women drivers...)

Since prehistoric times, men have been genetically programmed to be aggressive. They had to face the wild beasts, kill them, and bring them home for dinner. They had to pursue the women and drag them back to their caves. :closedeyeAnd this aggression still lives on today.

Women are less likely to be involved in accidents than men, a fact also reflected in insurance premiums. And when they’re involved in an accident, it costs less to repair their vehicles than those of men.

Males honk their horns three times more quickly than females when the drivers in front of them didn’t move at a green light. And it’s young men in particular who make the most use of a car as a weapon.

In 2002 in the UK, 88% of all driving offenses and 83% of all speeding offenses were committed by men.

Men are better at spatial reasoning, but I don’t know how many people have died while parallel parking.

And no, we’re not just better drivers when we’re in the passenger seat. We’re better, period, because we take fewer risks and we’ve had a lot more practice - driving men to drink, up the wall, round the bend,…

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is a funny thread, and Sammie, you nail it every time.
I have recently had driving lessons from my husband since he is now a passenger.
YOU WOULD THINK I WAS JUST GETTING MY LICENSE.
I have to pull over and point out the cracked passenger mirror on his truck, and say "where did that come from, did we get a little to close to the tree, honey, hehe"
I pull out the bmv reports, "oh Geez, where is my record?" "Oh thats right I dont have one, at least with anything on it:lol::lol:
I have no idea how I got this far, but I have so shut the h*** up and enjoy the ride"
And then the time he wanted to teach me how to back up the silverado because it was sooooooooooooooo much longer than my s10.
But its sooooooooooo much shorter than my p1000!!!
Before I could get that out of my mouth he hit a parking meter, you would think he would stop!!!!!!
But they dont. At least mine doesnt:w00t:

diesel96

Look Out! Estrogen Behind the Wheel!
:tank:....Look out! Soccer Mom behind the wheel!

(Since we're on the topic of women drivers...)

Since prehistoric times, men have been genetically programmed to be aggressive. They had to face the wild beasts, kill them, and bring them home for dinner. They had to pursue the women and drag them back to their caves. :closedeyeAnd this aggression still lives on today.

"Flintstones"... "meet the Flintstones"
It's not easy driving back to the cave in Bedrock with that brontosaurs prime rib on top of the vehicle.

Women are less likely to be involved in accidents than men, a fact also reflected in insurance premiums.

Since the invention of cell phones,I find this fact hard to accept

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes women are the gatherers, and men are the hunters.
Just like in prehistoric times.
But I see as many bad men drivers with cell phones as I do women, although kids driving and yakking are by far worse, no matter what sex.

over9five

Staff member
I drive up this road to a business every day at 5:10 to do a pickup, just as several hundred people are leaving in their cars.

It amazes me that almost every single driver is talking on a cell phone. What did we do before the cell phone???

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I drive up this road to a business every day at 5:10 to do a pickup, just as several hundred people are leaving in their cars.

It amazes me that almost every single driver is talking on a cell phone. What did we do before the cell phone???

We paid attention to driving. There is a novel idea. :cool:

Sammie

We actually waited until we got home to make that urgent call or found a pay phone along the way. And believe it or not, wars were fought, we got through puberty, reached adulthood and lived productive lives. Now, people would lay down and die if they couldn't be contacted 24/7. Manners and courtesy have also taken a nose dive now that we get to hear people's personal issues up close and personal on their cell phones in very public places.

We spent more time with our friends and family, we talked to each other on the phone and we hand wrote Christmas cards, letters and thank you notes. Now an e mail has taken their place.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Amen to that Sammie, I got hit while parked last night. It was 5pm, I had 50 left, just gave 12 to another driver, and Im parked across the street, a lady exits the building, has to see my truck, gets in her Brand spanking new G6, has to look in the rear view mirror doesnt she:cool:, Gets on the phone puts it in R and hits me in the side, KABOOM. TAILLIGHT LENSE GLASS FLYING EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! While I try to get it into my head she just slammed my truck.

Her husband showed up and gave her the ritualistic scorching , of why the h8ll dont you drive, instead of chat, yada yada......
Didnt do a thing to me, she hit the tire and wheel.
Just an example of what over9five was saying!!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
We have stop signs within our plaza that houses Walmart, grocery store, Lowes, etc. The people entering the plaza have the right of way....no stop signs. We can go left or right and everybody else has to stop. I watch people, nearly daily, drive right through the stop signs yakking on their cells. They don't even realize they did it.

Today was a worse one......a guy walking & crossing the plaza street after parking his car and in an effort to better hear his cell phone, he stops in the middle of the lane and just stands there yelling into his cell phone. That tells me the amount of distraction that goes on if he can't even walk & talk at the same time. Gee, maybe he was trying to chew gum too.....hmmmm.

Sammie

Amen to that Sammie, I got hit while parked last night. It was 5pm, I had 50 left, just gave 12 to another driver, and Im parked across the street, a lady exits the building, has to see my truck, gets in her Brand spanking new G6, has to look in the rear view mirror doesnt she:cool:, Gets on the phone puts it in R and hits me in the side, KABOOM. TAILLIGHT LENSE GLASS FLYING EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! While I try to get it into my head she just slammed my truck.

Her husband showed up and gave her the ritualistic scorching , of why the h8ll dont you drive, instead of chat, yada yada......
Didnt do a thing to me, she hit the tire and wheel.
Just an example of what over9five was saying!!!!

I didn't know you were back to work! Yeah Team! :punk:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes, Ive been back 2 wks, after 3 of me at home, he said, Go back please, so I can sneak around and do stuff Im not suppose to, guess thats a good sign:cursing::gun_banda