Wonder what that load will look like tomorrow

lolbr

You shouldn't need to put a visible HIN on every box. Put HINs on all boxes for the first hour or so. After that you can sequence most of the rest in order, only putting HINs here and there when there is a decent gap between existing HINs. As long as you know how to deal with the bulk stops and large packages properly, everything else should easily fit on the shelves in order.

Don't put the strollers and rolls of carpet on the shelves. Have a stop with 5 cases of paper? Should probably put it on the floor. Learn to use the space under the shelves. Do not lay packages flat unless it's on top of all the other packages on a shelf. If you stack on a flat package, the weight of the packages on top will push that flat package off the shelf.

I preloaded for almost 10 years. Loaded over a hundred routes. Every route could be loaded like this.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Anyone elses preloader lazy? Only writes hin number on about 30 percent of the boxes. I send the same message to the center daily. I also take a video of the load everday and send it to my center manager. He tells me ,"Ive been talking with them about that".

What kind of pre-loader/local sort/hub employee where you?

Let me guess...you did everything perfect.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Do not lay packages flat
For the sake of arguing, I have a 35+ year driver (the :censored2: that always manicures their loads off-the-clock) who practically taught me on building loads and we lay the vast majority of boxes flat.
Here are some illustrations: the second build is preferred because the box in the back prevents this slipping motion you have described. The third build can have these problems but it is generally A-OK as long as the first box is long enough to hit the back of the shelf and is a bit heavy.
upload_2018-9-24_19-56-1.png

Your options are limited trying to get stuff on top of tall boxes, in my experience.
Kudos if your package cars are light enough to do tall loads tough, I load tall too If I have the chance, but my cars are too full to do that.

lolbr

The issue with laying flat is most noticeable in the third and fourth drawings you made (a lot of the times the second will also cause the same issue. What happens is, because the bottom box is slanted, the top boxes slide toward the wall. This is good, to a point. Due to bumps and crappy shocks on the trucks, the bottom box slowly moves forward as it bounces up into the top box. Eventually the top box falls behind it, and after more bumps it will push the bottom box all the way off the shelf. Then the boxes that are left no longer have the lip load to keep them toward the wall, so they fall also.

Best option, if possible, is to load the boxes deep first, then tall, using as little width of the shelf as possible per box. Only when the entire shelf has a row of boxes should you really be stacking them. Unless you have a stop with multiple small boxes of the same size, or at least very close to the same size.

As long as you aren't putting large packages (or shelf assigned bulk stops) on the shelves, you should be able to get 35-40 packages per section easily (on an 800). That's 280-320 packages. Most trucks don't go out with more than that. If they do, likely 50-100+ packages are in bulk stops on the floor.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
“HIN”!!!!, I remember it as a “sequence number that enabled you to load it in the proper order. Loader’s do a job.....not a favor!!!! I started as a loader and loaded my routes by sequence as it not only helped me with my ability to load properly but also knew that helped the drivers and their ability to be efficient in their day. Yes loading is difficult but apparently keeping your pants in the proper location are too and if that’s our excuse for allowing mediocrity then we’re doomed. I was trained to lip load in order as if you were putting books on a shelf and when shelf was full then you placed on top and or behind. Back to the point of writing sequence numbers on a box, you did it as you walked into the truck as you were loading.....I know that the idea of multitasking is above some but it truly isn’t that difficult. It’s your job.....do it!!!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
That's 280-320 packages. Most trucks don't go out with more than that.
298 residential pieces LOL and maybe 20 pieces of "bulk" from the safeway parking lot.
The bid driver finally came back from a tendon tear in their foot today, was off for 6 months, cursing the world out because the stop count only went up since they left.
At any rate, the car is so damn full that nothing falls out. It's just a brick front to back.

Alamo Joe

Deal with it and look for the packages. You only know a pre-loaders struggle if you've been in his/her shoes before. Then you would of thought twice before posting this thread.
I was a preloader for 5 years. Been driving for 13 years. The loader sucks.

Siveriano

I really dont complain much on my loader cuz i know he makes less than me and most of the time is a new one.

For example today a sup was in my truck telling me how "nice" my load was so i started to go thro it and found 3 missplaced packages within a minute, next i know my SUP just left without a word.

I wen recently on a OJS so the daily message i send now is something like " how come my load its not near as perfect as it was during my OJS"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
writing HINs is for the preloader. As a driver, I couldn't care less about hins unless it is something on the floor, and I'll write that HIN or address myself as I go through the load. I only want stuff in the right section so I can sort as I go along without wasting time.

Can't believe I am reading drivers complaining about not writing HINS. LOL

Alamo Joe

writing HINs is for the preloader. As a driver, I couldn't care less about hins unless it is something on the floor, and I'll write that HIN or address myself as I go through the load. I only want stuff in the right section so I can sort as I go along without wasting time.

Can't believe I am reading drivers complaining about not writing HINS. LOL

Alamo Joe

Im complaining about a loader not doing his job and taking short cuts. If you were to write on only a few info notices you leave behind wouldnt you think someone would complain?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Im complaining about a loader not doing his job and taking short cuts. If you were to write on only a few info notices you leave behind wouldnt you think someone would complain?
That is a poor analogy. I am only talking about HIN. The preloader should NOT be writing on everything, generally only (as said) the lip loaded pkgs in the beginning of the day, as markers.

The Driver

I drive.
I'm not writing anything on anything. I just remember the addresses on my bulk pieces and the as far as the rest of the crap goes, just put it in order on the shelves! What's with this writing the HIN crap?

Poop Head

Judge me.
I've been writing completely random dates on infonotices for a while. I wonder what people think when they see I attempted delivery 02/66