Work shoes = boots? "Zero tolerance"

Our center had a slip fall injury yesterday where a guy slipped on loose gravel and sprained his ankle. Today the center manager stated that there is going to be "zero tolerance" on work shoes. Starting tomorrow, we all have to wear boots, this seems pretty ridiculous, especially considering ~85% of us wear "tennis shoes".
So what exactly is the mandated type of shoe for drivers? I tried wearing boots my 1st 2 weeks of driving and absolutely hated them. Where do we stand as far as discipline and grievances? I didn't get a chance to talk with our SS this morning.

O/C

Our center had a slip fall injury yesterday where a guy slipped on loose gravel and sprained his ankle. Today the center manager stated that there is going to be "zero tolerance" on work shoes. Starting tomorrow, we all have to wear boots, this seems pretty ridiculous, especially considering ~85% of us wear "tennis shoes".
So what exactly is the mandated type of shoe for drivers? I tried wearing boots my 1st 2 weeks of driving and absolutely hated them. Where do we stand as far as discipline and grievances? I didn't get a chance to talk with our SS this morning.
What's the difference between high top tennis shoes and boots for this type of injury? Knee jerk reaction by the center manager, there generally is a requirement for work shoes and they differ from building to building.

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So what exactly is a "sturdy leather upper"?

Just what it says. I wore black leather New Balance and Reebok walking shoes, and they always passed.

Right now, your center manager (who probably doesn't have a clue) has an insect in his rectum due to an injury occurring on his watch.

Like all things, this will pass. Just wear boots for a week or two.

So I have to shell out cash for some useless boots just to please the center manager? Well, at least if I wear them for 2 weeks they'll probably slow me down enough to pay for themselves.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So I have to shell out cash for some useless boots just to please the center manager? Well, at least if I wear them for 2 weeks they'll probably slow me down enough to pay for themselves.

Seriously. You don't have an old pair of work or hiking boots?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Starting tomorrow, we all have to wear boots,
I don't believe he can specify boots. If you prefer shoes, wear shoes that meet the specs. This shouldn't come as a surprise to you. They were supposed to go over it in orientation, plus they made us sign a sheet annually that we knew the rules about proper footwear. You're making the big bucks now. Fork over the money for some good footwear and leave the PF Flyers for your pickup basketball games.

DSM515

Work boots or work shoes. Black or brown. Non slip soles. Must be polished and in good repair. If he disagrees ask HR to produce the footwear guidelines.