Work shoes = boots? "Zero tolerance"

Wear the boots in the building. Wear what you want on route
I wear new balance work shoes. I have seen guys show up with their basketball shoes. I know some of them have been told they can't wear them but it still happens. I worked for fedex express for 8 years and I would laugh at what the fedex ground drivers got away with wearing. I have seen them wearing blue jeans and a uniform shirt. We issued rain gear but I always wore my own on the road.

Our center had a slip fall injury yesterday where a guy slipped on loose gravel and sprained his ankle. Today the center manager stated that there is going to be "zero tolerance" on work shoes. Starting tomorrow, we all have to wear boots, this seems pretty ridiculous, especially considering ~85% of us wear "tennis shoes".
So what exactly is the mandated type of shoe for drivers? I tried wearing boots my 1st 2 weeks of driving and absolutely hated them. Where do we stand as far as discipline and grievances? I didn't get a chance to talk with our SS this morning.
When I was hired at fedex express they paid for my steel toe work shoes. After a month I didn't see anyone wearing them so I got some comfortable shoes and never looked back haha. I don't recall anyone ever having to wear those after I was hired. When your own your feet for that long and walk that much you need something comfortable.

brostalss

We had flavor of the week awhile back. That hot topic came and went. I get the Sketchers work sneakers. Non slip sole and steel toe.

rod

Retired 22 years
I wore black tennis shoes for probably 25 years. When I first started I wore boots but back then boots were heavy. In the winter if we had had some snow I wore insulated over shoes over the tennis shoes.

HermanMunster_web.jpg~320x480

ski or die

Ski or Die
I worked clerical union. We weren't permitted to wear tennis shoes. I was told by management the reason was a pencil could possible fall off the desk onto to someone's foot and injure someone. And that's the truth, exactly as the manager explained it to me. No one in our office ever got lead poisoning. Guess they were right.

rod

Retired 22 years
I worked clerical union. We weren't permitted to wear tennis shoes. I was told by management the reason was a pencil could possible fall off the desk onto to someone's foot and injure someone. And that's the truth, exactly as the manager explained it to me. No one in our office ever got lead poisoning. Guess they were right.

Heaven forbid that that would happen. That's kind of like the time two of us were called into the office and chewed out because I needed off early so my friend took a half a dozen rural stops off me that bordered his route (without their permission). They accused us of "playing in the sandbox with each other". Damn we felt bad when we walked out of that meeting.

Packmule

I Don't worry about polish able, they're covered in dust or snow five minutes after I leave the building anyway. I Demand waterproof year round and a good arch support. You'll never beat Keens on either. Not only saves the ankles, saves the knees too because of the arch support.

moldsporh

This is a job, especially in delivery, that you don't skimp on footwear.

When you are running 140 stops you are pushing 20,000 steps easy a day.

Ecco GTX track 5 or 6 are the best there is IMO.

Fragile

Boots or sturdy shoes by me all year long.

Sneakers aren't really acceptable they have a heart attack. Walking shoes from a sneaker company are acceptable if they have a slip resistant sole and are polish-able.

TwoScoops

I'm not a UPSer. (I figured I should start with that since I'm not sure if I'm actually allowed here or not.)

My brother is... and my parents bought him some work boots as a gift.

My Mom told me in conversation later he wasn't impressed with their choice of gift (maybe in the mindset that a gift should be for recreation not work, I don't know). I told her I kind of agreed since UPS (I was assuming) had a program that somehow provides OSHA/ANSI approved footwear for employees (through quartermaster or reimbursement or something) and, as such, they'd gotten him a gift he could have gotten for free anyway.

My brother told me no such program existed their. I thought he must be mistaken and just had not looked into it well enough. I mean, after all, UPS employees are Teamsters and surely the IBT would not allow an employer to obligate employees to wear a certain type of anything said employer wasn't providing. So I did an internet search that led me here.

But now... based on what I'm reading here... he was correct!?
Does UPS really require employees to wear a certain type of shoe then obligate the employee to provide them!?

Someone please tell me I'm mistaken.

My current employer (who employs a unionized workforce) started requiring that everyone wear a safety toe shoe at work about ten years ago and ever since implementing that requirement gives each employee a $200 voucher every year to go and purchase a new pair.
Prior to that I worked for FedEx (a pirate company) who reimbursed me up to $X (I don't remember the amount) for the purchase of shoes fitting their requirements (whatever OSHA/ANSI standards those may have been I do not recall) when I started.
Prior to that I was a cop (in a right to work State nonetheless) when the agency distributed a memo telling us we all had to start wearing "non-slip" shoes, but that they would reimburse us for shoes meeting the new requirements they were implementing.

So how is it that three smaller companies, one that's a pirate company, and one in a pro-employer State, all paid for the equipment they required employee's to wear but an IBT supported company with a bigger workforce does not!?

My brother and I must be missing something. Can someone here tell me how he goes about getting approved safety footwear from UPS?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ups is cheap... They took away a stupid Christmas turkey to save a few bucks!! Hell the company makes frigid buy his own brown pens... Cheap bastards

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just what it says. I wore black leather New Balance and Reebok walking shoes, and they always passed.

Right now, your center manager (who probably doesn't have a clue) has an insect in his rectum due to an injury occurring on his watch.

Like all things, this will pass. Just wear boots for a week or two.

@Bubblehead, just curious, but what do you disagree with?

(BTW, this thread is a year old.)