Workers comp question

barnyard

KTM rider
The OP appears to know his/her comp law. In same states (like mine) the laws are written to protect the workers well enough that an attorney is pretty much a waste of money for many cases.

The OP has not made seniority yet. Once he/she is released for duty, he/she will have to restart the 30 days. I would bet that if balance and moving fast are a struggle, you will not reach seniority. My guess is that the OP is not being offered TAW to avoid making seniority. If the OP reaches maximum medical recovery and can still not do the job, WC might mandate job retraining and placement assistance (paid for by UPS, but may not be employed by UPS when all is said and done.)

In my state, long term comp cases get an advocate provided by the state. That person makes sure the employee is doing everything to get better and the company is doing what the law tells them to do. If Oregon has such a person, contact them and see what they have to say.

I would imagine that the comp pay for a pre seniority driver is not very much.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've never been hurt on the job bad enough to miss work so I don't know much about disability payments and what goes into getting them. I think it would be a good idea for someone with experience with injuries to put a sticky thread on here that lays out the procedures for what everyone should do when they are injured and also include what they are entitled to and what to expect to actually happen. And what steps to take when UPS drags their feet.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
1654 every 2 weeks in Fla.I can make my bills fine with that, its the off the job injury that would hurt $$. Supplemental disability insurance is way over priced for UPS drivers

barnyard

KTM rider
What a FT, full-seniority driver gets while on comp is SIGNIFICANTLY different than what a probationary driver, that has not made seniority would receive.

barnyard

KTM rider
I think it would be a good idea for someone with experience with injuries to put a sticky thread on here that lays out the procedures for what everyone should do when they are injured and also include what they are entitled to and what to expect to actually happen.

It is different in every state. The best thing for an employee to do is google their own states comp laws and READ them.

DOK

Yes (hence the term independent)

Yes but I recall some possible verbiage in the policy I purchased saying your total compensation from all sources couldn't exceed a certain percentage of your income.
I guess due to the insurance company not wanting to give anyone an incentive to stay out of work because you'd actually make more money being off work (collecting both workman's comp and the supplemental) than you would working. I have to double check my policy.

Just depends on your age and occupation and when the payout begins. You can get much cheaper coverage if you get a 30 or 60 day payout. Instead if day one payout.

Kind of like insurance on your car. Smaller premium for a bigger deductible.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was on disability 3 years ago (California) and got $1181.00 a week tax free.

It was awesome.

Approximately $62,000 a year tax free---what's that figure out to if it was a taxable income? $80-$90,000? Nice. I bet people are just begging to go back to work. :-)

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Approximately $62,000 a year tax free---what's that figure out to if it was a taxable income? $80-$90,000? Nice. I bet people are just begging to go back to work. :-)
We'll it's only for a maximum of 6 months then long term diability kicks in and it's not as good.