Workers comp settlement

Good call. So far we just stashed enough in simple savings in 2022 to use in 2023 as Roth Ira contributions. We maxed out 2022 IRAs. Plus heathy amount set aside for home maintenance got painting and hopefully new deck coming up. Plus it’s all backstop strike fund money if and when.
They are currently paying 6.89% right now.

All federal taxes are deferred until you cash them in.

For the rest of the real United States you don't have to pay state tax on interest but if I remember correctly Alaska does not have a state income tax

AKCoverMan

They are currently paying 6.89% right now.

All federal taxes are deferred until you cash them in.

For the rest of the real United States you don't have to pay state tax on interest but if I remember correctly Alaska does not have a state income tax
Yup no state income tax we have billions stashed yet Dems in our state legislature still want one. And fight every year to not pay out our Permanent Fund Dividend because they rather spend it on more government 🤮

AKCoverMan

I listen to Clark Howard a lot he touts I bonds too.. it’s where I’d put money next after 100% funding Roth IRAs and 401Ks.

Johney

Then the WC laws suck in your states. In Wisconsin pension and health insurance contributions are paid as if working for up to 52 weeks.
It has nothing to do with WC laws and all to do with the supplements in our contract. 156 reports for full pension benefits and 1800 hours for vacation per year.

Big Babooba

Ask you Center Manager or Supervisors. From my experience they are all highly trained medical professionals and are able to diagnosis what ails you just by looking at you.
My center manager told me that I probably had a sprained ankle. It was a Friday so he told me to go home and we could take care of the reports on Monday if I still was hurting. I told him that I wanted to go to a real doctor so off to the company doctor I went.
The doctor told me that I might have a bad sprain but wanted to take a few X-rays. He came back in the exam room and told me that I had a serious fracture and he sent me to the ER where an orthopedic surgeon was on duty. I had surgery the next day. I often wonder what would of happened if I took my center manager's advice. NO I DON"T! I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE BIG ONE IN MY ARSE!

Big Babooba

Has anybody had a workers comp settlement and returned to work? Lawyer said I probably couldn’t return to work and steward said this also. Liberty mutual is dragging their feet about approving an mri, I’ve been waiting since November 22nd
Slippery Mutual isn't dragging their feet. It's part of their plan. I could write a book about what they put me through and how my lawyers made theirs look like a monkey.

Gaintain

Went through comp a few years ago. Liberty paid my full wages while I was injured and going through rehab. Once I was cleared to come back I received a settlement like described above. Told me I lost a percentage of range of motion but then I returned to work.

Getting all the initial test did take a few days but not months. Did you go to your own doctor? Depending on state laws you could be entitled to see your own doctor. That along with legal counsel got things rolling quicker for me.
Question. So you got a % impairment rating, a settlement and was allowed to return to work full duty? Asking because I’m out on WC right now with a herniated disc and just had surgery.

JustDeliverIt

Question. So you got a % impairment rating, a settlement and was allowed to return to work full duty? Asking because I’m out on WC right now with a herniated disc and just had surgery.

Correct, but mine was not back surgery. It was a broken limb. Once it was healed I had no restrictions and can do the job without any problems. I’m sure every case is different but if you are medically cleared to return then I don’t see why you would have a problem returning.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I broke my thumb pretty badly at work many years ago. Broke it in like 7 or 8 places. It looks a little different, and won't quite bend as far as my good one. The doctor who did the surgery gave me a 1% disability. I protested it and went to another, independent surgeon agreed upon by the union and the company. He ruled it a 3% disability. Back then, each percentage point was worth about 1k in settlement. I think I was off about 9 weeks. I got the settlement, comp and a PIP (personal injury protection) check that basically covered all my wages lost when I was off. PIP was included in my car insurance policy.

Gaintain

Correct, but mine was not back surgery. It was a broken limb. Once it was healed I had no restrictions and can do the job without any problems. I’m sure every case is different but if you are medically cleared to return then I don’t see why you would have a problem returning.
Appreciate the response. So you had no restrictions but did you get a partial impairment rating after MMI & FCE, from your broken limb?