Working After retirement

rod

Retired 22 years
What does she(wife) say?

I have a friend that is scared to retire. I used to be. Over-coming our fears sometimes takes another influence to see the possibilities.....I also think we can be very OCD......I also have a friend that his 60th birthday got his wife's attention.....making her realize that they were both 60 and the clock ticking.....and just a short time ago she was saying "retirement...no way".

The home projects I've neglected with 60 hour weeks will keep me occupied for awhile after retirement...I've got less than 2 months....I'm having a hard time going to work. I've never had that feeling.
She only married him for the $$$$ and to get her teeth fixed. She divorced him after her dental work was all done then the idiot was stupid enough to marry her again. She VERY seldom attends any family functions--- (that's ok by me).

Over70irregs

What does she(wife) say?

I have a friend that is scared to retire. I used to be. Over-coming our fears sometimes takes another influence to see the possibilities.....I also think we can be very OCD......I also have a friend that his 60th birthday got his wife's attention.....making her realize that they were both 60 and the clock ticking.....and just a short time ago she was saying "retirement...no way".

The home projects I've neglected with 60 hour weeks will keep me occupied for awhile after retirement...I've got less than 2 months....I'm having a hard time going to work. I've never had that feeling.
Short-timers….. I hear it gets worse when papers are turned in.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Had an appt with pension guy about 5 years before retiring . Those last 5 years went by super fast.

We spent them getting ready. While making the big bucks we replaced all the appliances, installed a wood floor, work on the roof, got our vehicles all squared away with repairs, upgraded some furniture, changed the spare room into a bedroom for the grandkids when they visit, did some extra landscaping. Paid off house which we did in 17 years instead of 30. Otherwise retiring would have to wait 4 years until SS kicked in.

Just basically took care of the big ticket items before retiring. It really paid off so to speak, Less anxiety when we finally retired knowing it was all done.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Had an appt with pension guy about 5 years before retiring . Those last 5 years went by super fast.

We spent them getting ready. While making the big bucks we replaced all the appliances, installed a wood floor, work on the roof, got our vehicles all squared away with repairs, upgraded some furniture, changed the spare room into a bedroom for the grandkids when they visit, did some extra landscaping. Paid off house which we did in 17 years instead of 30. Otherwise retiring would have to wait 4 years until SS kicked in.

Just basically took care of the big ticket items before retiring. It really paid off so to speak, Less anxiety when we finally retired knowing it was all done.
Get lost you fraud.

Shiftless

Great to plan your retirement as opposed to most who don't and when they do they are ill prepared and shocked. Especially when you are at the end of your career and should be ready, then for some reason you lose your job due to some unpredicted circumstances like a health issue or life altering event that makes it hard to work or not work at all at this physical job.

As seen here on BC, everyone's retirement is different! Retirement Pension Monies and Retirement Healthcare. How you planned for retirement makes a HUGE difference. All I can say to those that want to retire from Big Brown! Plan and make sure you have your Eyes dotted and T's crossed prior to retirement!

qdg2

The last 5 years have just been about money. I was fully vested years ago. We haven't really done anything different about retirement as it was always planned. Our house and general affairs are always maintained and squared away and each challenge is addressed(as it should be).

We actually decided I would retire one weekend a couple weeks ago. We concluded it wouldn't matter if i stayed one more day or 10 years.

What really motivated me was the wife set to retire this coming May. She works at a middle school and wanted to finish her contract and not leave them hanging. Which set the dominoes falling.

We have at least 3 leaving right before peak at our feeder dept. I could care less. Mgt would never cut me any slack....they'll get none from me.

Johney

The last 5 years have just been about money. I was fully vested years ago. We haven't really done anything different about retirement as it was always planned. Our house and general affairs are always maintained and squared away and each challenge is addressed(as it should be).

We actually decided I would retire one weekend a couple weeks ago. We concluded it wouldn't matter if i stayed one more day or 10 years.

What really motivated me was the wife set to retire this coming May. She works at a middle school and wanted to finish her contract and not leave them hanging. Which set the dominoes falling.

We have at least 3 leaving right before peak at our feeder dept. I could care less. Mgt would never cut me any slack....they'll get none from me.
Make sure you work right up to the last day of the month, so they put your leave date on the first of the next month.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Retiring with no real debt (mortgage, car payments, etc) is big. When your only living expenses are utilities and groceries life is pretty stress free.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You did not identify where you retired from?

Easy! Contact your Teamster Conference that controls your annuity if you retired as a UPS Teamster.

I was in the WCT (Western Conference Teamster) Pension Plan

Goes like this in WCT: Your area may be different?
Up to 60 you can work up to 50 hours a month
60 to 65 85 hours
65 plus Unlimited NO loss of pension beneifits

Here is their link: Working After You Retire | The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust
Why the heck would they limit what you do after retirement? I don't see the connection? It's money you earned with your labor, not their money.

Johney

Yep. On vacation till end of the month.....First check on the 1st of the month....about 5 days
So you’ll be on the books till Oct 31st and your first day of retirement is Nov 1st? So Nov will be your first pension payment? Are you under UPS/Teamster pension?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why must you speak in the 3rd person?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why the heck would they limit what you do after retirement? I don't see the connection? It's money you earned with your labor, not their money.

Try to keep people from retiring
The longer you work the less money the pension plan pays out
It’s a business like everything else