Working over 70 hours as Driver Helpers

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I asked my BA on Friday if we had to be technically on a 70/8 to make the double time. He told me No. If they are working me over 60 and as long as I'm a RPCD or a 22.4, that all those hours over 60 count towards my HOS and they should be paid double time.

Now will UPS fight it... maybe, but I was also told the negotiations were recorded this time and they have interpretation. ;)
Remember, I said I hope I am wrong.

Was your BA on the National Negotiating Committee?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I remember. I hope you're wrong as well.

Yes I believe he was.
Actually he was I found his name on page 187 of the NMA.
Here, the Company did not let anybody drive past their 60th hour, but had many drivers work past 60 hours as jumpers/helpers on Saturday.

Ask yourself why they would do that, for double time, instead of having them actually drive?
$56.61 an hour is bad enough for a helper, but $75.48 an hour?....I can't see it.

I think the "intent" of that Article 26 language is to motivate the Company to avoid implementing the "70 Hour Rule", a driving rule, in the package car classification.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Here, the Company did not let anybody drive past their 60th hour, but had many drivers work past 60 hours as jumpers/helpers on Saturday.

Ask yourself why they would do that, for double time, instead of them actually driving?

I completely agree. That's the reason I asked him the question. I'm sure it's something that will have to be filed on.

Fenris

Not that I'm aware of. The only rule I believe the DOT has on 70/8 is that the company must have vehicles operating 7 days a week to do it.

It wouldn't surprise me if a month or so ago UPS got the OK to go to 70/8 when they want to.

Do they even need DOT approval? On the DOT website, it says it is at the discretion of the motor carrier.

542thruNthru

Do you think corporate is going to make the call for each and every facility? They give the region/districts the authority to make that call based upon preset criteria.

We were talking about having to get approval from the DOT. The word Corporate was just saying its above center level.